Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              15       16       end

Archive 2014 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

KaBudokan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these? My experience with flashes is limited to speedlights. When I came across the Flashhavoc/Adorama promotion on the Flashpoint Rovelights, it looked like an interesting option to get into more power.

I tend to do most (all?) my lighting work on location at various places, so I've been holding off on getting into any studio strobes because of the battery packs, etc. I've considered going the godox/wistro 360 route, but haven't jumped in.

The Flashpoint Rovelight looks like a unique option. 600ws, battery power is all self-contained, HSS (which it seems should work with my Odin triggers using a cable). They seem to have good reviews that I've seen.

With the Adorama deal, the Flashpoint mount is $339 (pretty damn dirt cheap) and the Bowens mount is $399. So, for a decent amount less $ than the Godox route, you're getting a substantial amount of more power.

Any thoughts?

Oct 16, 2014 at 04:16 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

I just came across the deal and pulled the trigger on the bowens mount but they haven't shipped yet. I have been looking at them for months and couldn't pass at that price although I am sure they will drop eventually. I also have the godox 360 and really like it but it really depends on what you plan on doing. I would think the godox 360 is a little more versatile where you can mount on a camera and it is lighter. If you mainly want a self contained strobe then no better option than the rovelight. If I had to choose just one it would probably be the rovelight. I can't wait to check it out and hope the recycle time will work. It's about 3-4 seconds at full power on the 360. I say go for it at that price!!!!

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:38 PM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

I own a AD360*. I'm probably going to pick up the Rovelight to add to my collection. From what I can gather it's substantially bulkier and a bit heavier than the AD360/PB960, but far less fiddly to set up. Also, seriously more power and the HSS is more useable than the AD360 (which goes into heat protection after 10 shots).

The biggest downer is the trigger - no LCD or easy way to do groups. At least it's "free."

You should buy the Bowens mount version, unless you are 100% convinced you are totally happy with the modifiers that Adorama makes available.

* Amazon sells the AD360 for sub $400 - but you have to be willing to wait months for it to show up.

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:48 PM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Thanks for the feedback. I may end up picking up a Rovelight. If I need to go lightweight, I can stick with the speedlight route, and the extra power is really what I'd be looking for.

pcrit - I think Adorama is closed until the 18th, so they won't ship until next week.

I'm tempted to go with the Flashpoint mount, just because I'm a cheap bastard , but I'll probably go ahead and throw down the extra cash for the Bowens mount. Seems like it would be a much easier sell even if I wanted to get rid of it down the road. I also need to learn a bit more about attaching modifiers, etc. Everything I've been doing has been geared toward speedlights, so I just need to read up a bit on mounting other stuff, as well as making sure I have adequate support.

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:20 PM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

I'm also a cheapskate and I've concluded that the Bowens mount is the way to go. Most of the cheap eBay/Amazon modifiers come with the Bowens mount. Going with the Flashpoint mount means that it will be annoying (have to buy an extra Flashpoint speeding) or impossible (just won't fit) to use the cheap eBay/Amazon boxes/dishes.

Getting the Flashpoint mount really seems like a perfect example of penny-wise pound-foolish.

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:57 AM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Agreed on the Bowens mount for the extra money, unless you plan on only using basic modifiers and are happy with Adorama has to offer it's a steal at that price! I have some Bowens mounts softboxes already so went with that. I am hoping they ship out on the 20th so I can get them soon.

Oct 17, 2014 at 05:27 AM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Yeah - I decided that I'll go with the Bowens mount if I get one. I still may end up only using basic modifiers anyway, but it helps to have more options.

Oct 17, 2014 at 07:23 AM
mikyor1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

I got it about 2 weeks ago with a deep octa
its freaking amazing, lightweight, and so portable.

its super easy to use and comes with a wireless controller. 600ws and has a self contained battery pack, what more could you axe for?

Oct 17, 2014 at 01:50 PM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Ugh.

Deed is done.

Light is ordered.

Don't tell my wife.

Oct 17, 2014 at 06:46 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Aren't the Alien Bees modifiers also Bowens mount? If so, that gives you access to a great assortment and becomes a no-brainer.

Kent in SD

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Congratulations and I am hoping to get mine next week as I ordered already but haven't shipped yet. I am hoping my wife doesn't find out too!!!!

Oct 18, 2014 at 07:17 PM
flowrider

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

I debated and debated but couldn't pull the trigger. I have Flashpoint strobes already with a VML and want to be able to go lighter so I'll likely order a Godox AD360. I would have liked one of these as well though. I do have bad GAS,

Oct 19, 2014 at 05:29 PM
flowrider

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Oh crap!! . I just pulled the trigger on a Bowen's mount one. Ugh why do I do this to myself

Oct 19, 2014 at 06:41 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

You are not alone flowrider I don't really need them but couldn't resist at that price and they will be here Wednesday. I have the AD360 as well and like them but haven't used them much.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

I've also ordered one. Plus a 80cm "Visico" Folding Octabox. $50 for a folding octabox with a grid is a crazy price. I wanted a beauty dish, but they are pretty pricey and non-transportable. This hopefully will serve as a rough equivalent.

Oct 20, 2014 at 08:05 AM
flowrider

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Dave McGaughey wrote:
I've also ordered one. Plus a 80cm "Visico" Folding Octabox. $50 for a folding octabox with a grid is a crazy price. I wanted a beauty dish, but they are pretty pricey and non-transportable. This hopefully will serve as a rough equivalent.

Have you looked at the Phottix Luna? 70cm foldaway beauty dish. $60 at B&H I believe. Only problem is it has no grid.

Oct 20, 2014 at 09:33 AM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

I did....but I really want a grid. This review suggests that the Luna doesn't quite have the light control that a dish has. I think a gridded octabox will give me better spill control than the Luna. Spill control is important because my "studio" is quite tight.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM
CoLmes
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Are the Paul C Buff modifiers Bowen mounts as well?

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Paul Buff is the Balcar mount. Not the same.

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:28 PM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Any thoughts on the Flashpoint Rovelights?

Well, it appears you can add me to the (long?) list of people who got a bad remote. Won't even power up. I'll be contacting Adorama tomorrow.

I'm hoping to play with the light a little later tonight with my Odin triggers anyway.

Oct 21, 2014 at 09:03 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.