Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Greetings to the esteemed forumers,
As you may have known, I was planning a field trip to Mongolia a few weeks ago. To carry it out, I needed a second camera, but procuring a 1D Mark III as I have done on the previous occasions has proven impossible, so I got desperate and on the very last day before I had to leave, I went and bought a brand new 650D. And boy, that decision has proven so wise.

You might call me a noob for ever turning to such an amateur camera again, but I fell in love with that camera (simultaneously not falling out of love with my 1D Mark IV, so color me promiscuous). It's very handy and lightweight, pairs nicely with all 3 lenses I brought with me (16-35, 70-200, 14) for a very versatile combination of focal lengths/AOVs (so I could juggle different combos depending on the situation), has rotating screen for shooting in awkward positions (no more need to wallow in the dust whenever I need to shoot from the ground level), has touchscreen, has great IQ... The only downsides, to me anyways, are the flimsy little buttons on the back (whereas the top buttons like AEL and AF AREA are nicer than on the 1D IV, and the ISO button amuses me to no end since it looks so much like a good, sizeable female tit) and the delicate build. Well, there's no rear wheel nor top LCD, but these are design decisions, not faults.

In a nutshell - I've finally found the second camera for the time to come... without breaking the bank to boot. It breezed through Mongolia alongside the 1D IV and I'm keeping it for the foreseeable future.
Picture proof:
http://pp.vk.me/c619817/v619817358/18f16/pRw6HXCdyls.jpg

Edited by Guest on Oct 18, 2014 at 03:32 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM
boingyman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

If the tool works then that should suffice. Not sure what the point of this type of thread is for. I took only my S110 to my first 3 week trip to Europe when I had my 5D3 sitting at home. I even had my T2i at home in hibernation. What does it mean? Absolutely nothing, but it did capture some great memories with the wife.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:25 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

boingyman wrote:
If the tool works then that should suffice. Not sure what the point of this type of thread is for. I took only my S110 to my first 3 week trip to Europe when I had my 5D3 sitting at home. I even had my T2i at home in hibernation. What does it mean? Absolutely nothing, but it did capture some great memories with the wife.

What is the point?

A fellow FMer is finding joy with his gear, no nit-picking everything apart, no need to negate anything, just a simple reminder that images can and are created on a regular basis without top-of-the-line gear.

When did it stop being okay to express one's joy's for simpler things, why must feelings matter not just because it's the standard for 'forum' musings as of late, sadly many on this forum find it necessary to trivialize finding happiness in Canonland. Yes this is a gear forum, some are actually okay just enjoying this art.

Cheers,
Jerry

Edited on Oct 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

I carry a SL1 (100D) everyday in my messenger. It's a great little camera and so light I hardly notice it's with me. Not the best choice for low light but it handles most other situations with gusto and has replaced my iPhone and S90 for portable/easy carry.

Visualizing control surfaces as women's breasts is a strong indicator you've been wandering alone in the wilderness a little too long...

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Gochugogi wrote:
Visualizing control surfaces as women's breasts indicates you've been wandering alone in the wilderness a little too long...

Wilderness or otherwise, it doesn't get any different for me, and we had two ladies on our team anyway. In order not to let this thread become hollow, I'll be posting pictures from the trip shortly, here or elsewhere. Not now because there's a huge amount of sorting and picking to do (mercifully I was able to do a preliminary cleaning en route, so at least I purged the soft pictures and burst duplicates where appropriate).
http://pp.vk.me/c619817/v619817358/191d4/yzXcUFgSAZY.jpg

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

True dat, Jerry!

Good for you, Shop!

I bought a T2i (550D) a few years back, after using the 5D pretty much exclusively for a number of years. That little crop camera totally rejuvenated my photo excitement. I love the then "new" technology and new menu system. Plus the video was so superior to the little Canon handheld mini DV cameras. And the IQ was a step up from my 5D.

So, yes, I can totally appreciate your joy and discovery.

Glad it worked out for you.

(Two lenses I highly recommend you buy [eventually] for it: the EF-S 60mm Macro and the 15-85 IS!)

Edited on Oct 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

StillFingerz wrote:
What is the point?

Jerry

Well it is better than the posts that say I just bought an XXX. and that is the end of their story.

Who cares if Joe Blow just bought an XXX? Can you imagine how clogged this board would be if everyone posted every time they bought a new piece of gear?

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Actually I intended this thread to go - in a tongue in cheek fashion - against the trend of always aiming for latest, best, most expensive gear (full frame cameras! L primes! big whites!) that I find prevailing here - without being obnoxious or insulting anyone, of course. Also, the Rebels don't get nearly enough love, and I think the 650D deserves all the praise it can realistically get for packing that much whoop-ass into such a small and lightweight body (I know there's also the 100D but that one didn't tickle my fancy since it has next to no grip, which I think is a bit of an overkill, especially since I can't and don't intend to use EF-S lenses).
So, I updated the title of the thread, and will be posting pictures from this camera (and whatever lens) here. 1D IV pictures will also go somewhere.
Both of these below were taken with the 70-200/2.8 IS lens (95 and 70 mm respectively). The first was taken still in Altai, Russia (en route), on Sep. 30th; the second in Mongolia on Oct. 6th.

http://pp.vk.me/c619817/v619817358/191dd/YotqbaRNMEU.jpg

http://pp.vk.me/c624117/v624117579/4c5b/R9C_-JNo5K8.jpg

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

StillFingerz wrote:
What is the point?

A fellow FMer is finding joy with his gear, no nit-picking everything apart, no need to negate anything, just a simple reminder that images can and are created on a regular basis without top-of-the-line gear.

When did it stop being okay to express one's joy's for simpler things, why must feelings matter not just because it's the standard for 'forum' musings as of late, sadly many on this forum find it necessary to trivialize finding happiness in Canonland. Yes this is a gear forum, some are actually okay just enjoying this art.

Cheers,
Jerry

The thing is, this should not be of surprise. The problem is the whole camera industry and complainers on the internet make it look otherwise.

Oct 16, 2014 at 01:04 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Indeed, the entry level bodies are just fine to use, especially as a backup body
I upgraded without actually outgrowing the Rebels, so I couldn't really tell what the difference was at the time being, but now I see that it's usually a bunch of stuff that would have taken me years to realize anyways. Given the rate I was shooting, I could have shot with the Rebel series for years until it actually extremely limited my photography.

Oct 16, 2014 at 01:20 PM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Glad you like the 650D my second body is a 550D
I use it a lot with the 70-200 F4 it's a great light combo that I can handhold for hours without getting tired and I use it in all weather's
mine may be living on borrowed time the shuttercount is in excess of 50K but would replace it with another one if it died

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:26 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

An upgrade does not have to be to a new entry-level DSLR either. It can be from an older entry-level DSLR to an older DSLR model. Maybe none of the newer features, but they still produced nice images:

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:44 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Nice shots Tony, which goes to show that cameras have less to do with image quality than lenses, and even less than the talent of an experienced photographer.

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:47 PM

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

A couple more from the road (that's still Russia; once we entered Mongolia the roads were pretty much reduced to nonexistence) -
http://pp.vk.me/c622921/v622921358/7001/F9mLhHeap7M.jpg

http://pp.vk.me/c617730/v617730358/26198/4e2hWqc6HW4.jpg

Oct 17, 2014 at 05:15 AM

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Some more from dat:
http://pp.vk.me/c623124/v623124358/4fb2/Ie-amDPu6Sk.jpg
Obo in the steppes.
http://pp.vk.me/c623124/v623124358/501c/p7Pr4QtB07A.jpg

Oct 18, 2014 at 03:30 AM
jcw1982
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Nice pictures and story. Very well done.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:52 PM

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

It's not over yet, of course. I'll be updating this thread with pictures done using this camera (there's a boatload to sort, inbetween working, that's for sure), but Gochugogi's words about carrying a 100D all the time got me thinking, and here's what I did:
http://pp.vk.me/c617730/v617730358/2673b/mCi4m713PNg.jpg

http://pp.vk.me/c617730/v617730358/26731/cLo4FdcATkU.jpg

http://pp.vk.me/c617730/v617730358/2671d/atDAk-YzBcM.jpg
I had this ancient KODAK leather case lying around for like 4 years - ever since I found it among the rubble of our old, defunct editorial office (which was moving house around Nov. 2010). A 1D of any description just wouldn't fit, but following this discussion, I found that the 650D is actually fitting. The only lens that could make it (discounting the 50/1.8) was the 24-85.
Of course, it would be quite a bit of hipsterness to walk around like this in the city, but if I find a less conspicuous casing, that might make me more inclined to carry a camera with me all the time (instead of relying on smartphone whenever I encounter something worthwhile, as had happened a few times already).

P.S. Interesting recursion, as the wallpaper on a computer screen is another pic made with a 650D and presented above in this thread.

Oct 19, 2014 at 01:45 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Snopchenko, that is a great looking eagle. What belt, pouch and harness system are you using? Thanks.

Oct 19, 2014 at 02:27 AM

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Paul Mo wrote:
Snopchenko, that is a great looking eagle. What belt, pouch and harness system are you using? Thanks.

I need to invoke the "Phone-a-Friend" option if you're referring to the eagle harness. If my chestvest is what got you interested, it's a one-piece Newswear.com Men's Foul weather digital chestvest, nothing else.
(site seems to be unresponsive at the moment, but the link Google gave me is http://www.newswear.com/mfouldetail.htm)

Oct 19, 2014 at 04:34 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 650D - I'm a happy (Mongolian) camper...

Cheers.

Oct 19, 2014 at 04:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.