New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Chromium Envy

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chromium Envy

Thanks to one of Rusty's recent post I got to thinking about a shot I took a few years ago before I owned a copy of LR. I dug through some of my old photo's and found this photo from 4 years ago.
Even though I had shot it in jpeg I wanted to see if LR could help it any because it never struck me as a good keeper shot. So I made a few tweaks and I think it made this old shot come to life pretty well. Thoughts?

Edit: Yep, my comp was off a tad as I clipped the rear fender a bit.
Rookies

Oct 16, 2014 at 08:10 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chromium Envy

Diggin' the interplay of the horse checkin' out the iron horse.

Fence is kind of a drag in the way (and the noted comp).
I like the addition of the swingarm bag, but my pipes probably won't let me add one. Looks like 100th anniversary colors, too.

Oct 16, 2014 at 08:55 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chromium Envy

It took me forever to talk this horse on over to get him in this shot. That was my strongest message I was going for in this shot. Hence the title.

Yeah, that fence doesn't help but that dang wire just above it is what really drives me crazy. I could live with the fence but the wire might have to go bye-bye before print.

I like your fish tails you have on your bike. The bag would defiantly not work on your ride. It actually doesn't do much for my bike esthetically either but I sometimes do long trips and extra storage for tools is a must. I did a 6,271 mi trip out to GNP a few years ago in 13 days. Needless to say that tool bag saved me a lot of grief and $$ on that trip when my inner Primary seal blew out on me just north of Denver.

Edit: How does the WB look to you folks? I had a hard time with that and couldn't figure out if it was to cool or not.

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:12 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chromium Envy

Sky looks off in color to me, but I am not great at color. Otherwise a neat shot.

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:35 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chromium Envy

ben egbert wrote:
Sky looks off in color to me, but I am not great at color. Otherwise a neat shot.

Thanks Ben but could you elaborate on what your seeing in the sky color? I'm partially color blind so needless to say I'm not to great with color myself and really struggle with this.

Edit:
I did bump up the Vibrancy a little but didn't mess with saturation. I was actually surprised at how much LR can adjust things in a jpeg. I thought raw files were the only images we could adjust.

Yes, yes I'm a rookie at LR and photo processing altogether.

Edited on Oct 16, 2014 at 09:51 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:45 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chromium Envy

ben egbert wrote:

Good call on the sky, the dappled/mixed lighting complexity strikes again relative to WB. I was checkin' out the bike. Didn't make it to color yet.

6K miles ... nice. I'm not even up to a 600 mile trip yet. I'm looking at fork bags and luggage for the rack. I'm introducing my better half to the scoot also, so a day trip or overnighter is gonna be the limits for a while ... had to take the four-wheeler to YNP ... I don't think I could have talked her into 4K just yet.

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:50 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Chromium Envy

Dappled/mixed lighting? Please splain lucy. Are there strange colors in the sky?

And yup, tell me about it. My wife is good for about 50 miles before she's had enough. Having a four-wheeler in YNP with lots of camera gear would be a dream come true for me. That would be the ultimate photo op.

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:57 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Chromium Envy

YNP with lots of gear ... I shot the entire visit with just my Panny FZ1000, even though I was packing FF SLR & glass. Thought I'd be going there to be the next AA ... turned out to be a "run & gun" with so much to see and so little time to stay.

Definitely need a return trip, but for the "shoot & scoot", the Panny has quickly proven itself worthy. I really don't feel limited by it, being able to go from macro to 400mm. Max DOF and uber UWA isn't up to what a FF can do, but those aren't the bulk of my shooting, so I'm okay with leaving the truckload of gear behind for the ride.

Sky color ... looks a bit cyanic.

Take a look at the reflection in your primary cover, just below the shift linkage. It appears to be more cyanic on the left than bluish on the right. With part of the bike/fence in light and part in shade the light on the subject isn't quite the same as the light coming from the sky, so we can balance for one area of an image, but it might push/pull another area in a slightly less desired direction (think of the color wheel similar to the cam rotation @ advance/retard).

Not sure how accurate I got the sky, but here is some of the cyan pulled out @ less saturation. Note the change in the primary cover reflection to a somewhat more neutral/silver than the stronger cyan. If you're having trouble seeing, you can check the RGB values that I changed from about 140,200,240 to about 185,195,205 (primary cover reflection area).

I look at the color of reflections to understand the color of light that is falling on our subject. Some reflections are from our main (key) light source, while others are not. I try to figure out which reflection is really where our light is coming from and read / adjust it (somewhat) toward neutral ... always allowing to taste of course.

As with most things, always subject to taste at how much cyan you want to pull out or how much blue you want to put in since the sky changes color throughout the day and from day to day.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:25 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Chromium Envy

Ah, I see what you are talking about now. Your edit looks very close the my original so I'm thinking I just over did the vibrance? I didn't mess with saturation due to my vision issue. I can see now that I can get into trouble just using vibrance if used to strongly. I think maybe a happy in between your edit and my color mess would work better for me. I like the colors to pop a little. It sounds like I over did it on this one a tad.

Thanks for this feed back.

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Chromium Envy

Yeah, it wasn't like it was a huge issue ... subtle but, even little bits can count.

It's kinda like trying to make more HP ... it ain't just one single thing alone, it's how they all work together and the more you go, the more the little things start to make a diff ... you know a bore here, a stroke there ... a cam here, an exhaust there ... an intake here, a piston there ... a port here, a tune there.

We just tweak with things like sat, contrast, hue, vib, gamma, etc. trying to make the image pull us where we want it to pull, and not where we don't ... kinda like tuning a powerband. Some like it to come in low and steady, others like it to be really peaky, some want it to be race mode. There's no "right" powerband, just what's right for where you like it to pull hard vs. ease on down the road ... and so it goes with our pp @ where do you want it to pull your viewer.

Oct 16, 2014 at 04:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Chromium Envy

I tried to check it out and when I loaded the image, the sky got fixed. I then tried to see what color space it was in and found none.

I think it is missing a color space assignment. 197 172 239 are the colors I get in the left side, a bit over saturated, but not the color issue I see in my browser.

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:12 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Chromium Envy

Ben - It should be in sRGB. I shot this in jpeg but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it missing.

How do you check the EXIF data? I'm just learning this stuff so I'm a little lost to say the least. I downloaded a program called FastStone Image viewer and it shows the color space used as sRGB.

Is this viewer (or similar) the correct/best way to read exif data from photo's?

Thank you for you help.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Chromium Envy

When you save a jpg, you need to assign a profile or be sure one has been assigned. I don't use LR so I don't know how it works. When I open a new raw file, in adobe camera raw, I change to Prophoto RGB and so I must reassign it when I save for web.

When you post here, if you post direct using the buy and sell thing, you can click EXIF and it will show in your image. When I saved your image and tried to get exif, all of it was stripped.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.