New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

benjikan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

Even though I have several Nikon lenses, I am now so pleased that I have what I consider to be my "Three Lens Powerhouse" trio for my exterior fashion photo shoots. I am using the Nikon 85 f/1.8G the Nikon DC 135 f/2.0 (just purchased) and the incredibly sharp Nikon AF-D 180mm f/2.8 which I just purchased new today to replace my other 180mm Nikon lens. I like having 2 of them...

Oct 16, 2014 at 06:25 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

You are a man of good taste.

Oct 16, 2014 at 06:32 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

Great kit and stunning image (as always), Ben!

I do enjoy exactly the same kit, after getting rid of Nikon 85/1.4 G (slow focus, not sharp wide open - at least my copy), Sigma 85/1.4 (great IQ but too heavy and bulky) and Nikon 70-200/2.8 (impressive IQ but heavy / bulky / intimidating).

Nikon glass is really good and even the manual focus incarnations of 85 / 135 / 180 are delivering impressive IQ on modern bodies.

Apart of these three lenses, another fav for me for outdoor work is Sigma 150/2.8. It's a macro lens but I'm using almost exclusively for portraiture. Its AF is quite slow but the way it draws does the magic for me

Here is an example in natural light, a street (park) snapshot from Kiyv, took back in 2011, using the quite modest sensor of D300.

http://www.graphy.ro/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/3008608.jpg

Oct 16, 2014 at 07:16 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

I had the 105mm F2 DC lens and the 180mm F2.8 AFD lens. I had two 180mm lenses at different times and two different 105 F2 DC lenses at different times. I did not think that my 180mm lenses were sharp until F4, not at F2.8, but I liked them anyway. The 105 F2 DC lenses were sharp by F2.8. Good lenses for people pics. Maybe you could comment on the colors of the 135 F2 DC as compared to the 180mm color. The DC lenses are "magic" for skin color.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

If I'm not mistaken, what really matters in fashion phtography is really to showcase fabric materials and styles of garment and accessories. If that's the case, you can be much better off using 70-200 either 2.8 or 4 glass. Fashion models are simply used as dummies to wear them and they are not the center focus at all.

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

Get a 70-200 f/2.8 VRII and you have all three covered unless you need more speed at the short end ... can't see that you would need that for outdoor fashion shots ... but it's easy enough to salt in one prime. In general the zoom will provide greater flexibility.

And don't tell me the zoom is too big and heavy as the three primes combined easily outweigh they zoom, are more bulky in aggregate, and swapping lenses is a pita.

Oct 16, 2014 at 01:05 PM
benjikan
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

Mishu01 wrote:

Great kit and stunning image (as always), Ben!

I do enjoy exactly the same kit, after getting rid of Nikon 85/1.4 G (slow focus, not sharp wide open - at least my copy), Sigma 85/1.4 (great IQ but too heavy and bulky) and Nikon 70-200/2.8 (impressive IQ but heavy / bulky / intimidating).

Nikon glass is really good and even the manual focus incarnations of 85 / 135 / 180 are delivering impressive IQ on modern bodies.

Apart of these three lenses, another fav for me for outdoor work is Sigma 150/2.8. It's a macro lens but I'm using almost exclusively for
...Show more

Very, very nice indeed!

Oct 16, 2014 at 01:45 PM
benjikan
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

Andre Labonte wrote:
Get a 70-200 f/2.8 VRII and you have all three covered unless you need more speed at the short end ... can't see that you would need that for outdoor fashion shots ... but it's easy enough to salt in one prime. In general the zoom will provide greater flexibility.

And don't tell me the zoom is too big and heavy as the three primes combined easily outweigh they zoom, are more bulky in aggregate, and swapping lenses is a pita.

I prefer the output of the 85, 135 and 180 more than that of the 70-200. I also like to shoot super wide open, i.e. f/2.0, 1.8 etc...

Oct 16, 2014 at 01:47 PM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

benjikan wrote:
I also like to shoot super wide open, i.e. f/2.0, 1.8 etc...

You sound like a "prime" candidate for the 200 f2…

Care to share how you lit the model in your beautiful shot above? It's remarkably natural-looking, but it seems to me that there may be some fill coming in from camera right?

C

Edited on Oct 17, 2014 at 05:24 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:25 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

benjikan wrote:
I prefer the output of the 85, 135 and 180 more than that of the 70-200. I also like to shoot super wide open, i.e. f/2.0, 1.8 etc...

To each their own. But I agree with Chris, it sounds like you are a candidate for a 200 f/2.0

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:42 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

Ben, I have the 180mm f2.8 AIS and absolutely love. I can't believe how sharp it is wide open. Have you ever used it and if so, how would you compare it with the AF version?

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:52 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

Really great shot. I own the 180mm 2.8D and I love the lens. I have some other lenses that have made it unnecessary to keep in my bag but I can't let it go.
This is also how I feel about the 105mm 2.5 AI. I might not use it all the time but when I do I always get something nice out of it

Oct 16, 2014 at 06:37 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

For fashion I use a 50mm most, long lenses can look a bit flat. 70-200 is nice for flexibility to change from 3/4 shot to a headshot depending on how the model moves.

mshi wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, what really matters in fashion phtography is really to showcase fabric materials and styles of garment and accessories. If that's the case, you can be much better off using 70-200 either 2.8 or 4 glass. Fashion models are simply used as dummies to wear them and they are not the center focus at all.

So then why is model choice, hair and makeup is so important? Fashion photography is a lot more than catalogue and advertising selling clothes.

Oct 17, 2014 at 07:21 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

Mark_L wrote:
For fashion I use a 50mm most, long lenses can look a bit flat. 70-200 is nice for flexibility to change from 3/4 shot to a headshot depending on how the model moves.

It depends. Try imagining Ben's picture done with a 50mm lens... Think at perspective, angle view, proportions... The final image will definitely look different and not so dreamy... With a 50 mm lens you will not see that she almost "fly", the only ground contact is on the right "pin" heel. For outside shoots I definitely prefer 135-200 mm range.

Oct 17, 2014 at 08:26 AM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

To the OP: The Nikkor 180mm is a great lens but may I nay I recommend a non-Nikon lens: the Maniya 645 120mm f/4 Macro APO and the Mamiya 645 200mm f/2.8 APO are both superb for fashion shoots. Not only you get sharper images, you also get that medium format look in your shots. You just need to invest in a high quality adapter such as the Novoflex. It's manual focus but these lenses are butter smooth so they are relatively easier to focus than a manual Nikkor lens. Cheers.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Oct 18, 2014 at 05:24 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

valid point ! but have you considered investment cost for Maniya lenses .....
If you can have all Nikon ones for very little in comparison

ReyGay wrote:
To the OP: The Nikkor 180mm is a great lens but may I nay I recommend a non-Nikon lens: the Maniya 645 120mm f/4 Macro APO and the Mamiya 645 200mm f/2.8 APO are both superb for fashion shoots. Not only you get sharper images, you also get that medium format look in your shots. You just need to invest in a high quality adapter such as the Novoflex. It's manual focus but these lenses are butter smooth so they are relatively easier to focus than a manual Nikkor lens. Cheers.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:13 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My Nikon Power Lens Trio

I've always said that the 180 is one of the best lenses made. Nearly perfect rendering of color and bokeh.

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:22 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.