Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2014 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

PhilPDX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

Just got the iPhone 6. Image quality on the phone's screen is good, viewing pictures on a monitor is somewhat disappointing. JPGs show horrible compression artefacts. In short: okay for snapshots, but that's about it.

-Phil

Oct 16, 2014 at 08:43 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yeah, I think the people who have said the screen was fragile somehow put this huge thing in their pocket!

Bought the first Note after I tried it in a pocket- but I ain't no hippie!

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:09 PM
40Driggs
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

I'm waiting on an iPhone 6. I use my iPhone 5c for occasional pics in good light and it gets the job done.

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:19 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

Just returned an i6. Problem after problem. Day 14 every thing requiring an Internet connection bricked. No Wifi- No cellular. Spent hours trying to resolve and in the end just gave up due to the 14 day return period. Truly disappointing after waiting two extra years to upgrade from a 3GS.
In either event I took a few snapshots with the i6 in a dark restaurant and I was nothing short of blown away by the low light performance of the phone. I was in DC for the weekend and the i6 camera performed well enough for snapshots that it made toting a DSLR seem a bit unnecessary.
I'm now a bit torn about trying a 6Plus and crossing my fingers for a better experience or waiting a week or so for the Note 4 with a 16MP camera and OS.

Edited on Oct 17, 2014 at 02:44 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2014 at 02:10 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

I believe on Monday the 20th, IOS 8.1 will be released, which hopefully will take care of the numerous bugs and issues.

Oct 17, 2014 at 02:17 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

I've had the iphone 6 plus and have nothing but good things to say about it. As my eyes are getting older (just my eyes, not me ) I appreciate the larger size that I can read without using glasses. I think the camera is also quite capable considering what we're talking about here. Here's a few recent shots processed in LR just as I would process any other image.

Oct 17, 2014 at 03:23 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

Have the 6 now since the release date. Had the 5s prior. Both have great cameras but a slight edge to the 6

Oct 17, 2014 at 04:24 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

substitute for the curds

Edited on Oct 17, 2014 at 09:32 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2014 at 04:30 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

You guys are cheating...

If I downsample from 3264 x 2448px to 1050 x 800px and apply some sharpening, I can make almost every image look nice and clean.

-Phil

Oct 17, 2014 at 04:31 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

Isn't that what we're all doing here? And from 36mp down to 1050 x 800px . . . even blurry images should be sharp!

Oct 17, 2014 at 05:16 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

PhilPDX wrote:
You guys are cheating...

If I downsample from 3264 x 2448px to 1050 x 800px and apply some sharpening, I can make almost every image look nice and clean.

-Phil

Heck, I'm darn lucky if most of my friends and family view my stuff at 1050x800 even.

Usually after a football game or whatever even I finished shooting, I'll let them know a photo gallery is posted and they pull out their phones to view them.

Goes from 36 megapixels and the glass worth more than my car down to being compressed to Facebook's image size and viewed on a 4" screen

Oct 17, 2014 at 05:53 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

I think one of the best things about the iPhone 6 camera is the fact that we can now do manual controls. I took this shot today with my iPhone 6, with the phone braced against the marble wall (which added a cool component to the image as well), at base ISO and 1/2 second, which yielded a surprisingly clean and detailed image. I did use the 645Pro app, which does an extremely low compression JPEG or TIFF output (this is the MAX JPEG setting), and allows for manual control.

No extra NR needed, and while it won't enlarge to a 24" print well, I feel very confident this would make a nice 8x10, and it, of course, looks very nice at web size. I think most people wouldn't bat an eye if I had posted this in any of the other gear threads and said it was from those cameras (at this size). At 100%, of course, it's not as good as a large sensor camera, but this is, I think, quite good for a cell phone in a moderately dim interior, especially considering I changed the white balance in Lightroom (on the JPEG).

http://www.jordansteele.com/2014/statehouse_hallway.jpg

Oct 18, 2014 at 08:00 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

Interesting app, but unfortunately the latest version overheats my iPhone 6. I had to turn it off after just two minutes. Anything that I might have overlooked?

-Phil

Oct 18, 2014 at 08:34 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

Jman13 wrote:
I think one of the best things about the iPhone 6 camera is the fact that we can now do manual controls. I took this shot today with my iPhone 6, with the phone braced against the marble wall (which added a cool component to the image as well), at base ISO and 1/2 second, which yielded a surprisingly clean and detailed image. I did use the 645Pro app, which does an extremely low compression JPEG or TIFF output (this is the MAX JPEG setting), and allows for manual control.

No extra NR needed, and while it won't enlarge to
...Show more
Well, my 6+ finally showed up!

I hadn't checked back in the thread here, to see the excellent suggestion of the 645 Pro app. instead, I bought "manual". It does seem pretty darn cool.

Two hours in, I'm loving the 6+ :-)

Nov 14, 2014 at 07:36 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

UPS screwed up I was supposed to get my 6+ after 6 weeks of waiting. Now its Monday. .

Anyways here is what I have found in using a smartphone over the years (Apple and Samsung Note products) and comparing that with a tablet, because their uses overlap to an extent. As a camera, I have never been satisfied, yes, pleased with mid-day photos, but these cameras fall on their faces at a party, bar, restaurant, concert or any other dark situation. My office mate has a 6+ and there is a jump in IQ in these situations (I compared concert and restaurant pics to his 6+ images, and it is really better). I have an RX100 on me almost at all times, but for work and sending work related photos, the Iphone will rule in the field. So I am looking forward to a better camera phone for sure.

The second thing is I have used a tablet up until this time as a digital portfolio for my photography and graphics work. Until recently it was a 8" Galaxy Note, great product...but...In general and in any social situation it is awkward and kinds "show offy" to pull out a tablet to show off my photography, or family pics. Reach into a bag at dinner and start it up and browse around - not. The 6+ is going to allow me do put my work on the phone (already have a bunch of stuff sized and ready to go) and show that stuff seamlessly and without having to pull a tablet out and dominate the situation.

In conjunction with the 6+ I got a new tablet the Note 12.2. It allows me to really draw on screen (Ipads suck for this application), and take notes, do real word processing with a bluetooth keyboard...its a huge tablet and for me this is the perfect application of a screen this size, the Note 8 was awkward in that you don't carry it everywhere and its not impressive when you show off photos and too small to take notes with the S pen. Now, if someone is *really* interested in my work then I have a truly (near-laptop) gorgeous screen to show off. The 8" tablet was neither "always there" nor "immersive."

I realize I will be pulling my phone out 10 times for every one time I pull out the tablet. So that is why I am dying to get my hands on the 6+. It fills my needs perfectly, and my Note 12.2 fills my needs in its own ways. Now if only UPS will hurry up....

I think Apple realizes that at 12" tablet fills a real need and why all the rumors point to them making a large tablet early next year. But the Iphone will remain the "killer app" because its a great bridge product that you carry with you at all times. Kudos to Apple for finally making a large phone and a very capable camera to go along with it.

Nov 14, 2014 at 09:39 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
No way is my iPad Air going near IOS 8 until it's stable and everything works properly.

I was holding off quite a while on the iOS 8 update for my iPad Air too, but did it a few weeks ago and it's 100% stable for me and the camera app has improved massively, mainly through the addition of the panorama function which works incredibly well (MUCH better than the paid app AutoStitch). The tiny sensor becomes a bit like a scanning back like this, much better detail. The panorama function is pretty much fool-proof too -- very easy to use.

The Photos app also has really good editing options now, almost Lightroom quality (sliders for exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, brightness (whites), blacks, and nice B&W sliders too). Again very impressive, to me at least.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

One thing I will say is that the camera really is usable. That pic I posted above, I just printed as an 8x10 (got a Canon Pixma Pro-100 for my birthday) and it looks very good. I could definitely put it on a wall and no one would think twice about it among my other stuff. Now, at larger sizes: sure, you'd see the difference, but you can get good quality 8x10 and smaller prints from the 6/6+.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

iPhone 6. Wasn't planning on an upgrade, but then I dropped my iPhone 5 in a parking lot three weeks prior to the new release and the rest is history. I prefer the 6 since I can slip it into a pocket, even a shirt pocket, without having to constantly wear a pair of cargo pants to carry the 6+ model...not to mention being able to use just a single hand. Have not had any adverse issues with the iPhone 6, not even with software updates. As far as the camera goes, I pretty much relegate it to taking pics of our manufacturing equipment and other work-related issues such as video of manufacturing operations...can't be bothered with trying to create 'art' with it...I have other gear for that.

Nov 16, 2014 at 09:06 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

Jman13 wrote:
I think one of the best things about the iPhone 6 camera is the fact that we can now do manual controls.

I believe manual control is available for all iPhone models that iOS 8 supports (iPhone 4s through 6+)

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · iphone 6 or 6 plus anyone?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Regarding Smartphone cameras, does anyone know if LG (G3) is the only brand using laser focusing? Sounds pretty cool.

Until you try to focus on an eye

My girlfriend's 4S is dying, and she wants my 5S, so I just picked up a 6 Plus, and apart from the insane size, I am very happy with it. The thing is that my pockets are already uncomfortably tight with the 5S, so the 6 is overboard, so I decided that in this case I might as well get the Plus, and use it as a small tablet.

Edited on Nov 16, 2014 at 12:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.