New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D800 "Card Err" Sandisk Extreme Card

Sellerman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 "Card Err" Sandisk Extreme Card

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and might be able to help. I have a D800 and a Sandisk Extreme 60mbps CF Card. Whenever I put the CF Card on the D800 card slot, it displays "Card Err" on the top LCD and displays "this memory card cannot be used..". The card works perfectly fine when using it on my PC via the Lexar 3.0 Card reader.

I have done the following already:

Tried to format the card in camera = no success
Tried formatting the card on the PC (Quick format, non-quick format, default alloc size, renamed) then putting it back on the D800 = no success

Unfortunately, I don't have access to another CF card. I'm worried that it might be the D800 slot itself that is malfunctioning (hope not). Any of you experienced this and found a solution? (besides getting a new card, which I will do).

Thanks.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:16 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 "Card Err" Sandisk Extreme Card

I had a Kingston 16GB not work on mine, same error. I searched and I found a list of cards that aren't compatible on D800s. My Kingston was on that list.

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Sellerman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 "Card Err" Sandisk Extreme Card

Mine was working fine since I bought this. It just happened all of a sudden. Did you replace your card? Did the card err go away?

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:05 AM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 "Card Err" Sandisk Extreme Card

I've experienced that with cards before but the error went away. It was a Transcend card, so slightly different situation.

I think this is just one of those cases where you might have to apply a little logical testing, and plug the card into a 2nd camera, and then plug a 2nd card in to the d800, and try all the functionality.

SanDisk Extreme CF's have good warranties, so if its the card's fault, you have at least that recourse.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 "Card Err" Sandisk Extreme Card

remove the battery, then replace the card and try again. dont reinsert a used card before you safed your images on your computer

Oct 17, 2014 at 04:55 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 "Card Err" Sandisk Extreme Card

SouthwestS2K wrote:
I had a Kingston 16GB not work on mine, same error. I searched and I found a list of cards that aren't compatible on D800s. My Kingston was on that list.

when i bought my first d800 a while back I had kingston cards that I used with my 1ds Mii. I didn't look into it and assumed that my old kingstons would work.. Nope so I had to buy new sandisk cf cards. Luckily I had a few sandisk SDs. Weird that nikon wouldn't make it possible to use ANY cards just certain ones. Like you I did look at the list and bought based upon that

Oct 17, 2014 at 09:01 AM
Sellerman
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 "Card Err" Sandisk Extreme Card

I've tried using another card (Sandisk and Lexar) and I still get the Card Err on my top lcd. My last option would be to have my card formatted from another d800 and see if mine will read it again. Man, I really hope this isn't a malfunctioning CF slot.

Oct 17, 2014 at 09:24 AM
hrogersiii

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 "Card Err" Sandisk Extreme Card

I just had the same thing occur on my new D 810.
At the time, I was using a Lexar card reader and Lexar CF cards.
It was caused by a small burr on one of the holes on the CF card, that ending up slightly bending a pin in the CF slot in the camera.

I have switched cards and reader to SanDisk since, with no issues.

Hope this helps.

Nov 09, 2014 at 07:58 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.