Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · To upgrade or not? tis the question!

mowensphotogra
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · To upgrade or not? tis the question!

Okay so currently I’m in school at RIT. Advertising photo major but I might change to photojournalism.

Currently, I shoot a lot of sports. I pretty much sign up to shoot for every sporting event our school offers(Hockey, soccer, volleyball, Tennis, whatevers in season. That being said, I do want to get more into portraiture, weddings, studio work, etc.

I own a 5D mark II and 1D Mark II.

My question is, do you think it would be a good idea to sell both cameras and snag the new 7D Mark II? Our school rents out pretty much any and all equipment so for the next 3 years, I’ll have another body to shoot with. I figure, once I graduate, I’ll hopefully find a job that will either supply a camera or fund me getting another one.

Side question - How does the 7D Mark II stack up against the 1D mark IV? I’d imagine used 1D Mark IV’s prices will go down once the 7D finally comes out. So that would be another option.

Oct 15, 2014 at 09:37 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · To upgrade or not? tis the question!

You won't get much for either camera, but if you need the money then sell 'em while you can get top dollar - because they're going to soon drop again.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:00 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · To upgrade or not? tis the question!

If you are on a budget and need a sports camera, the 1D3 will do an awesome job and is a huge upgrade in usability compared to the 1D2. Plus, it is relatively inexpensive here on the buy/sell forum.

I picked one up a few years back to cover sports and have a solid camera to use when the weather turned to shit at music festivals. It hasn't let me down. The AF units are fine on the cameras that canon repaired in the recall. It tracks great with my 70-200 II and did just as well with the non-IS 2.8 when I had that. 10 FPS is something that will really give you a good chance of a keeper every time you hold the shutter down in fast action.

10mp is fine for print as long as you aren't printing humongous photos or cropping a ton.

Full disclosure - I usually shoot with a FF and now a 1.3x camera. I hate having a 1.6x sensor because it completely f***s up the perceived focal lengths at the sensor when I have a 24-70 and a 70-200 on each of the cameras.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · To upgrade or not? tis the question!

kezeka wrote:
I hate having a 1.6x sensor because it completely f***s up the perceived focal lengths at the sensor when I have a 24-70 and a 70-200 on each of the cameras.

That's a feature desired by some for certain situations.....

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:17 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · To upgrade or not? tis the question!

mowensphotogra wrote:
... How does the 7D Mark II stack up against the 1D mark IV? ...

Good luck getting a knowledgeable answer to that question in October 2014.

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:20 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · To upgrade or not? tis the question!

Based on what you shoot and where you want to go with your photography, I don't think you should sell both of your cameras to purchase the 7DII.

I wouldn't sell the 5DII, because you can't replace it's IQ for the 1k you'll get for the camera. Closest you'll get is to throw another 300 bucks into getting a 6D. That's a worthy upgrade, but might not make sense for your photographic endeavors. Personally, I'd vote for using school equipment to shoot those sports. You will probably end up getting to use better gear and will put the wear and tear on that gear vs your own gear.

If you're going to sell a camera, I'd sell the 1dII for a few hundred bucks and pick up a used 1DIII, 7D or 70D. They each have their own strengths, but all three have excellent autofocus and good to great frames per second.

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.