Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lastolite Ezybox with Silver Interior vs Joe McNally White interior

mattdoebler

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lastolite Ezybox with Silver Interior vs Joe McNally White interior

I regularly use a 24" Lastolite Ezybox with silver interior. Love this modifier, except for the fact that the least bit of sweat or oil on a subject's face will result in unpleasant specular highlights. My question is whether the white interior Joe McNally version produces a significantly more forgiving light than the silver version. Anyone have experience with both?

Please don't suggest that I buy a Q-box or some other knock-off. I believe in supporting the companies that believe in innovation over imitation.

Oct 15, 2014 at 05:21 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lastolite Ezybox with Silver Interior vs Joe McNally White interior

Let me start by saying that I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I do have related experience- I did previously own the McNally version of the Ezybox. I sold it in favor of the Ezybox II system, where I now own the octabox that is silver lined. Having both for a little bit of time, I decided they were redundant in my collection, so I sold the Mcnally Ezybox.

The octabox being larger, it may be that any difference in the softness or specularity of a silver vs. white interior might be mitigated by the larger size.

One thing you might try to soften up the light is to use a flash diffuser, and then put a piece of gaffer tape on the front of the diffuser, so that no light at all has a straight path out of the flash and onto your subject.

Also, I second the notion around supporting the innovators! Good luck.

Oct 15, 2014 at 06:24 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lastolite Ezybox with Silver Interior vs Joe McNally White interior

Yes it will be softer and the ight will be a little warmer. That is classic McNally. He also likes to make things even softer by using the flash's diffuser also. But you will lose light with the white interior and if you use the diffuser. With regard to specular highlights on the face it will make a little difference but not a lot.

I appreciate you supporting the innovators and patent holders in industry. I'm sick of Chinese knockoffs and those that think they are better because they are cheaper.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:11 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.