New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

pdmphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

The Samsung NX1 continues to impress me, even with pre-poduction firmware:
http://www.digitalversus.com/samsung-nx1-responsiveness-15-fps-burst-mode-baseball-autoshoot-n36283.html

Oct 15, 2014 at 02:41 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

It may be able to burst at or near 15 fps, but can it lock on focus with a moving object and maintain that lock during the burst? Unless I am missing something, I see nothing in that review which addresses this point.

Oct 15, 2014 at 02:54 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

In theory yes. I tested it with the swinging model they had and it tracked during a 15fps burst. Not fully accurate, but about half in perfect focus, which isn't bad for a swing given the changing speed. That's still 7 perfect shots per second on a swing.

Oct 15, 2014 at 03:27 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

That is promising, but for perspective it would be interesting to see how an X-T1 or A6000 would do in a similar situation.

Oct 15, 2014 at 03:42 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

Jman13 wrote:
... I tested it with the swinging model they had ...

Did you form any impressions of the viewfinder?

Oct 15, 2014 at 03:54 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

The viewfinder was pretty good. Not quite as nice as the X-T1, but not far off either. My full report from my hands on is here: http://admiringlight.com/blog/hands-samsung-nx1/

Oct 15, 2014 at 05:02 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

Jman13 wrote:
In theory yes. I tested it with the swinging model they had and it tracked during a 15fps burst. Not fully accurate, but about half in perfect focus, which isn't bad for a swing given the changing speed. That's still 7 perfect shots per second on a swing.

So the hit rate is similar to the A6000- that's a decent development, especially considering Samsung's superior native glass .

Oct 15, 2014 at 05:16 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

johnctharp wrote:
So the hit rate is similar to the A6000- that's a decent development, especially considering Samsung's superior native glass .

I just noticed that Samsung DOES have some nice glass coming out (300mm f/2.8 and 50-150mm f./2.8). I guess this one has been flying under my radar.

Oct 15, 2014 at 05:52 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

Samsung glass in general is fairly attractive. They already have an 85mm 1.4, which is excellent and not very expensive for an 85mm 1.4. They also have a unique 16-50mm f2-f2.8. They have a pancake 30mm f2, which I miss on my current A6000 (I owned a Samsung NX200 + 30mm f2 in the past and quite liked it). They have always had a very nice lens lineup. What they lacked in the past was sensor performance and to a lesser extent AF and general operational speed, as well as the EVF quality. They have been improving steadily in all these departments but NX1 seems to have completely addressed these issues, at least on paper. I am actually not interested in NX1 itself, as it does not have the form factor that I want. However if its sensor and AF are up to the mark then I will eagerly wait for these to trickle down to the NX300 successor.

Oct 15, 2014 at 06:19 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samsung NX1 (pre-pod FW) AF and burst testing

galenapass wrote:
I just noticed that Samsung DOES have some nice glass coming out (300mm f/2.8 and 50-150mm f./2.8). I guess this one has been flying under my radar.

Samsung's cameras may not be perfect or really 'there' yet, but they're certainly serious- more than one can say about #3 Sony

Oct 15, 2014 at 06:19 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.