New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · NPS vs CPS

timn421

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NPS vs CPS

So I'm going back and forth between purchasing a d750 or a 5d mark III. One of the things that keeps me in the canon camp is their fast turnaround with repairs. I recently overnighted my 5d2 to fix a shutter on a Monday and got it back by Friday. It's been like that for other repairs I had as well.

I've tried to find some info on NPS, but would like to hear from others about how repairs are handled. Especially, from other full-timers who need their gear repaired quick.

Are there any level options to get faster service from NPS? How long do normal repairs take - CLA etc?

Oct 15, 2014 at 01:17 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NPS vs CPS

I hear it can vary, however, anything I've sent to NPS was usually turned around in a week - sometimes less.

Remember, the big difference is that you don't need to send Nikon stuff in for repair as often

Oct 15, 2014 at 01:24 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NPS vs CPS

Well keep in mind NPS is completely free. That's really nice. That said, don't go into this thinking you're going to talk to NPS on the phone. If you just give up on that idea you'll be pretty happy with their customer service. Why am I saying that? Well, when you get someone on the phone, in my experience, they're a low wage employee who's very nice, but knows absolutely nothing. They can't tell you where your camera is, what you sent in, nothing. BUT! If you just use email, the customer service is fantastic!!! Truly.

Regarding repairs. Two weeks. I mean for everything. Two weeks. I don't know why.

So my real life experience works about like this. I dropped my 24-70 on a Saturday. Emailed Nikon that night. They wrote back pretty early Monday. My replacement arrived Tuesday around 5pm. At which point I shipped my damaged 24-70. Got mine back two weeks later.

Oct 15, 2014 at 03:44 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NPS vs CPS

There was an infograph posted by Lensrentals or someone the other day about average turn around time and cost for this. Might be worth searching for.

Oct 15, 2014 at 04:04 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NPS vs CPS

I agree service is generally pretty fast with Canon CPS. I'm not NPS but I sent a D800 in to Nikon (California location) for focus adjustment and it seemed that they fixed the main problem. The turnaround was a few weeks IIRC.

The D750 will easily win at low ISOs for image flexibility, it has a tiltable LCD (frequently useful), and theoretically it's at least on par at high ISOs. The tradeoff is lack of PC port and no 1/8000ss. The current idea about the 5d3 is that the focus is more "precise" than previous Canon cameras (at least lower-end cameras, e.g. non-1-series). Not sure if it's really true or not, sometimes it precisely misses and sometimes it precisely hits for me. If that's precise, then yes it's more precise. It also hunts in low light a lot more for me and takes longer to lock on many occasions during receptions and getting ready (weddings) than my 5d2s. Otherwise, I might consider owning more than one 5d3...but it's IMO a crappy upgrade path for me and I'm waiting either to progress more toward Nikon or see a new Canon 5d with better dynamic range/more responsive AF/etc.)

If you already have a 5d2 (as I have), then obviously it's easier to stick with your same brand. Canon will probably be coming out with an update to their full frame cameras within about 1-1.5 years, not sure what Nikon will do when that happens since they just refreshed their cameras again so recently.

Oct 15, 2014 at 04:38 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NPS vs CPS

BenV wrote:
There was an infograph posted by Lensrentals or someone the other day about average turn around time and cost for this. Might be worth searching for.

I think Ben is referring to something that I posted. I'll repeat the relevant part of the post here:
+++

Roger Cicala publishes Lens Rentals repair data each year. The most recent data I see is from August 6, 2013, for the previous year:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/08/lensrentals-repair-data-2012-2013

I can't upload the Average Repair Cost and Average Days to Repair charts that I shared in my original post. Here is the link to that:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1317378/0#12623554

He includes the most frequently repaired items, and statistics on average service time and average service cost. It is pretty interesting reading.

The great thing about Roger's data is that his sample size is large enough that it represents "statistically valid" samples - a few steps beyond the usual "anecdote." He is also pretty careful about data integrity and analysis.

You might also want to read his previous repair data reports for his comments.
+++

You might also look for "impact damage" using Google search for this forum. (I haven't had a lot of success with the native search function at times.)

I have never had to send anything to Nikon, so I can't comment. But there have been quite a few instances where Nikon has refused to complete repairs under warranty and charged for them instead. Citing "impact damage" as the reason, with almost new equipment that the owner said was handled carefully.

Good luck!

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:25 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NPS vs CPS

I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 5 business days to get something repaired though NPS at the LA repair facility. Ever since they moved from El segundo to west LA they have been great.

The only problem I have with them is the loaner gear is only in NY, so any loaners have to be shipped, not picked up in person.

In case you weren't already aware though, NPS requires you to own a minimum of 2 pro bodies and 3 lenses. I'm not sure if the D750 qualifies or not. It probably does, but I could be wrong.

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:45 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NPS vs CPS

The D610 is on NPS list so I'd say the D750 will also make it. You would need to google NPS and see what the requirements are. I think that CPS is less hassle as you pick a level and pay a fee and that's that.

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:06 AM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NPS vs CPS

I would say choose a camera and system that you will meet your needs. Choosing a camera/system based on repair turnaround would not be a deal breaker for me. Backup cameras and even third cameras can ease your mind.

Oct 16, 2014 at 06:49 AM
timn421

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NPS vs CPS

My concern is more with lenses. I'm a clutz, so things happen. I always buy a backup camera, but I can't afford to buy two 24-70 or 70-200mm lenses.

Oct 16, 2014 at 08:28 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NPS vs CPS

So, sadly you ended up with a lot of information that has absolutely nothing to do with repair times or service through nps. Nps has a 3-5 day turn around as long as they have parts in Stock. And I have consistently experienced that short of a turn around weather it was a lens or a body repair. I will also note any lens and body repairs include a cleaning which is pretty awesome.

They also offer free loaners and I can usually have a replacement body or lens to me as fast as I can send things in for service. I have also spoken with nps reps on the phone on more than one occasion so not sure where that came from.

And lastly I would verify the 750 qualifies for nps. Nikon States two pro bodies and the 750 isn't categorically a pro body on their site.

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.