New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

solarwar
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

Does anyone have both the RX1 and the A7S?
I've been wondering about how the low light performance stacks up between the two. I have the RX1 and have enjoyed using it for its compactness and leaf shutter, but everyone now and then I would really like a short telephoto lens to work with in low light.
Appreciate your thoughts!

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

Quite frankly, there's no comparison. But that's true of almost any camera compared to the A7S...

The RX1 is a great camera, but I wouldn't use it past ISO 5000 unless I really HAD to. The same threshold on the A7S is somewhere between ISO 51,000 and 102,000...

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

the RX1 has essentially the same sensor as the A7, right?
If that's the case, then yeah- 7S is a WHOLE different playing field. Not even close.

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM
curious80
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

How about the low light AF? How do these two compare in that respect?

Oct 15, 2014 at 06:22 PM
dovey
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

I have both of the cameras.
The RX1 is a unique camera, wonderful for what it is but not a low light performer.
The A7s is the best camera I have, seriously lovely and excellent low light, nothing better.
You are not comparing similar cameras

Oct 15, 2014 at 07:00 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

I've owned the RX1 for over 1.5 years and I now have the A7S. The RX1 is doesn't have bad IQ at higher ISOs, but the A7S is on a whole nother level. Really amazing.
The AF performance in low light: also no contest. The A7S is MUCH better. It focuses to -4EV, without hesitation. The RX1 will hunt and hunt. Frustrating.

Oct 16, 2014 at 03:27 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

I'd use the rx1 all the way to max ISO. No problem here. It's just a photo.

Oct 16, 2014 at 03:47 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

ricardovaste wrote:
I'd use the rx1 all the way to max ISO. No problem here. It's just a photo.

The OP asks how the cameras compare.
The IQ of the RX1 in low light isn't a "problem", but the AF certainly is. It just hunts way too much to be enjoyable. It's my main criticism about that camera.

Btw, why do you say "it's just a photo" when you use the expensive RX1 yourself? Why not shoot photos with your phone then?

Oct 16, 2014 at 04:05 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

AF is certainly better but I for one didn't find the high ISO difference that huge. A7s was better for sure, but I just didn't think it was quite as life altering as some reviews made it out to be. Good camera but not $2500 good for just the body to me.

Then again, I also didn't find the Nikon D4 so amazing that I felt the need the upgrade over my D3s.

RX1 AF can be annoying at times, especially lower light though, fully agree on that.

I guess if your trying to shoot lots of high ISO on your RX1 and also want to have a responsive AF camera for people in low light, makes sense to upgrade.

For me, the RX1 still works fine, as I'm not trying to use it to shoot an active kid or something like that, so I'm okay with the AF taking a little while to lock on, my subjects are fine with holding still.

I'd think of them as more of a compliment than anything. RX1 offers that great Sonnar lens, high resolution, built in flash, leaf shutter etc.

Oct 16, 2014 at 06:30 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

RX1 performs about on par with the A7r. Here's a high ISO test I did that compares the A7r to the A7s:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1306693/0

Oct 16, 2014 at 08:44 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

Jochenb wrote:
The AF performance in low light: also no contest. The A7S is MUCH better. It focuses to -4EV, without hesitation. The RX1 will hunt and hunt. Frustrating.

+1 - same experience here.

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:13 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A7S versus RX1 in low light

ricardovaste wrote:
It's just a photo.

Yep - so why use the RX1 at all? My iPhone 5 takes pretty darn nice photos too...

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.