1       2       3              5      
       7       8       end

Archive 2014 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

alundeb
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

thw2 wrote:
While I acknowledge that Sony sensor architecture is brilliant, I am not certain if there is no way to work around it. Don't Aptina and Fujifilm sensors have rather wide DR too?

It's just like in-lens image stabilization... we now have IS, VR, VC, OIS, SSS etc etc... I suppose they are all patented and have rather similar performances.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, Aptina and Fujifilm have rather wide DR too. Toshiba has as high DR as Exmor on paper, but horrible fixed pattern noise (banding) in the Nikon D5200. I have not seen any measurement (DPReview don't have enough accuracy in their measurements) or direct comparison between Fuji and Sony. It is certainly possible to to better than Canon, but I have not seen confirmed data that anything is as effective as Exmor yet.

Edited on Oct 16, 2014 at 02:48 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

thw2 wrote:
While I acknowledge that Sony sensor architecture is brilliant, I am not certain if there is no way to work around it. Don't Aptina and Fujifilm sensors have rather wide DR too?

The Fuji sensors do quite well with wide dynamic range scenes and excellent higher ISO performance. I believe that they are made by Sony.

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:21 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

gdanmitchell wrote:
The Fuji sensors do quite well with wide dynamic range scenes and excellent higher ISO performance. I believe that they are made by Sony.

Some say it is a Toshiba model HXM4-229393 sensor unit beneath the X-Trans CFA.

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:27 AM
timn421

p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

Went by to look at the d750 at my local store but they were sold out. I'm glad, I might have bought one.

Oct 16, 2014 at 08:17 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

This whole (regular) argument can be boiled down to one simple statement:

Buy the tool which best suits your needs

I think the d750 looks really good, but I'd still take my 5d3 to a wedding. However, would I prefer my 5d3 with the d750 sensor? Yep. I'm sure there are some Nikon users who would prefer a 5d3 body with the d750 sensor to access the Canon lenses they love, for example. Sadly that camera and camera system doesn't exist..

Oct 16, 2014 at 08:19 AM
pointbob
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

Sorry if this has been talked about in the longish thread but...

Has anyone compared the "pushing 5 stops" with the 6d and d750? Just curious how well or poorly the 6d could hold up. Thanks

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM
zlatko
• •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

pointbob wrote:

Has anyone compared the "pushing 5 stops" with the 6d and d750? Just curious how well or poorly the 6d could hold up. Thanks

I never need to push the 6D (or any camera) 5 stops, so that would be a useless comparison for me. No doubt the D750 is a fine camera, but that particular comparison is of no relevance to me.

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Johnny McClung
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

mttran wrote:
What kind of logic is that, you can work around AF but you can't work around IQ. I take the IQ any day

I use both Nikon and Canon. I've been through most of the Nikon bodies. The D800/e AF was not reliable in my experience for critical focus. That has been completely fixed in the D810. The D750 has superb AF. There's really no AF issues with the current Nikon lineup. I feel pretty good having a 5DIII now alongside a D810

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

pointbob wrote:

the 6D holds about 2.5 stops well, then falls apart FAST. The other night, I pulled 6.7 stops from the sony sensor...... sounds ridiculous but I was shooting a birthday and accidentally bumped the iso wheel to ISO 50 for indoor low light shots...... luckily it was only a few shots, but the images are ok.

FDn 135mm F2

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

Charlie N wrote:
the 6D holds about 2.5 stops well, then falls apart FAST. The other night, I pulled 6.7 stops from the sony sensor...... sounds ridiculous but I was shooting a birthday and accidentally bumped the iso wheel to ISO 50 for indoor low light shots...... luckily it was only a few shots, but the images are ok.

FDn 135mm F2

Nice save. I like that A7R sensor, its DR range allows me to shoot (faster than f1.2) wide open on most white stuffs in the middle of the mid day CA summer sun. it extends shooting hours nicely...no more sitting around waiting for the right lights. Back lit application is also best

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:10 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

Johnny McClung wrote:
I use both Nikon and Canon. I've been through most of the Nikon bodies. The D800/e AF was not reliable in my experience for critical focus. That has been completely fixed in the D810. The D750 has superb AF. There's really no AF issues with the current Nikon lineup. I feel pretty good having a 5DIII now alongside a D810

Do you work with both at the same time? I am curious how that works out considering the different rotation for focus/zoom on the lenses and slightly different control layout on the cameras themselves.

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:45 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

kezeka wrote:
Do you work with both at the same time? I am curious how that works out considering the different rotation for focus/zoom on the lenses and slightly different control layout on the cameras themselves.

I deal with that using Canon and Fujifilm, and I only found it a problem at first. Eventually I developed instincts for which ever camera was in my hands, and I rarely make a mistake now. I'm guessing that it might well work the same way with a Canon/Nikon combo.

Dan

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

alundeb wrote:
Some say it is a Toshiba model HXM4-229393 sensor unit beneath the X-Trans CFA.

Fuji X-E1,E2,T1 sensors DR report here: http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR.htm

Oct 17, 2014 at 04:25 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

mttran wrote:
Fuji X-E1,E2,T1 sensors DR report here: http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR.htm

Do they use calibrated or nominal ISO values? Fujifilm state a higher ISO sensitivity than they actually have (by almost a full stop), and their curves will appear too far too the right versus the competition if they use nominal ISO values.

Either way, the highest photographic DR with the Fujifilm cameras is not as high as the comparable 16 MP APS-C Exmor sensors.

Oct 17, 2014 at 04:35 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

panicatnabisco wrote:
You can work around IQ by, umm, exposing properly. You can't fix focus in post.

So you think all sensors equally have the same IQ performance regardless whatever DR they were made and some more focus points will make an image sharper. Is it the message you try to carry on

Oct 18, 2014 at 01:04 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

alundeb wrote:
Do they use calibrated or nominal ISO values? ...

I have no idea what method William has chosen but he must use the same testing process of all sensors to support his PDR cross platform comparison chart.

Oct 18, 2014 at 01:41 AM
Joseph_Z

p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

I am by no means an expert but I just wanted to provide some thoughts on my experience using D750. I used to shoot with D90 and used D600 a little bit. I later changed to Canon 5DII. I mainly take pictures of my children and some landscape when traveling.

When I saw the above mentioned excellent review of D750, I thought this is the time to switch back to Nikon. I bought D750 a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to use it over a short trip.

I found it to be a very capable camera. AF always dead on. Pictures always crispy and sharp. Shutter feels great. Very light on my neck. Very good high ISO performance.

My biggest disappointment was the skin tone. It didn't render skin tone as beautifully as my Canon. I played with RAW, and all sorts of picture setting (I am not a pro but I think I know in general what I am doing). So I went ahead and got a 5DIII and the portraits I took were so good and they had that special Canon look and I didn't need to mess with the settings too much. As much as I love D750, I am returning it and keeping my Canon.

So maybe 5DIII is not worth 1K more than D750, but if you could get a used 5DIII for about 2500, then I would think it's a lot better camera for shooting portraits.

Oct 20, 2014 at 01:01 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

Joseph_Z wrote:
I am by no means an expert but I just wanted to provide some thoughts on my experience using D750. I used to shoot with D90 and used D600 a little bit. I later changed to Canon 5DII. I mainly take pictures of my children and some landscape when traveling.

When I saw the above mentioned excellent review of D750, I thought this is the time to switch back to Nikon. I bought D750 a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to use it over a short trip.

I found it to be a very capable camera. AF always
...Show more

Joseph -- That's a fair and open-minded report from you. Thanks for giving your thoughts.

Oct 20, 2014 at 02:33 PM
Joseph_Z

p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

Gunzorro wrote:
Joseph -- That's a fair and open-minded report from you. Thanks for giving your thoughts.

Gunzorro, I tried very hard to justify keeping D750. But when my wife saw comparison pictures, she said "Canon". So that settled it.

Oct 20, 2014 at 02:38 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D750, pushed 5 stops

Joseph_Z wrote:

I found it to be a very capable camera. AF always
...Show more
out of the gate, I find this to be true as well. I have a preset that I developed in the lightroom curves panel, for greens and reds to get the skin tone canon like. Generally, it works out ok, and works for me, but I wouldnt expect most folks to be as tech savvy to develop something like that.

another thing that seems to help is to white balance in whatever environment you're in. Yeah, too much hassle, but it certainly helps get you the canon look. After shooting a borrowed A7r for a few months, I was going to return it to my BIL, until I got serious about fixing skin tones (then I purchased my own). It's a bit much trouble, but now that I have some presets, I can apply them quickly and be done.

Oct 20, 2014 at 03:21 PM
       7       8       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7       8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.