Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikons answer for the Canon 7d II for affordable sports?

jminnick

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikons answer for the Canon 7d II for affordable sports?

Thoughts on Nikon coming out with a serious response for the soon to arrive Canon 7D II? I understand the Canon is not out but some early reviews are indicating this is will be a great sports body for under $1800. I am currently using a D7100 shooting mostly mountain bike races in the woods. The high shutter speed and low noise at high ISO would be really great for my conditions. I think I would be willing to switch to the Canon if Nikon doesn't come out with anything to match it. Serious comments please as I am not trying to troll for a Nikon vs. Canon discussion.

Oct 14, 2014 at 07:08 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikons answer for the Canon 7d II for affordable sports?

Nikon's so awash in used bodies right now that it would be a tough market. You can easily find a good D800e for $1800, or a D610 for $1200. They'll probably try to get people to buy up to the D750 until sales start to drop.

Oct 14, 2014 at 07:53 AM
mmorey79
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikons answer for the Canon 7d II for affordable sports?

When people get into this mindset I frequently ask simple questions:
How is it that people managed to take great photos of this sport 10 years ago?

Does this new Canon really do something that your current camera can't and that will completely change the game of how you shoot?

From what I've seen on these and other forums, most people switch as a knee jerk reaction to one or two products looking for some improvement in their photography that no amount of gear is going to buy.

Oct 14, 2014 at 09:45 AM
jminnick

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikons answer for the Canon 7d II for affordable sports?

From what I have seen in a couple of reviews, the amount of noise at ISO levels above what I am currently shooting (> 1600) is significantly less. This reduction in noise at the higher ISO would allow me shoot at a higher shutter speed (1000 and above instead of 400 - 500). It appears to also have a better AF system than my current D7100. Does my current setup prevent me from taking photos? Of course not. Could it make it better? Possibly.

mmorey79 wrote:
When people get into this mindset I frequently ask simple questions:
How is it that people managed to take great photos of this sport 10 years ago?

Does this new Canon really do something that your current camera can't and that will completely change the game of how you shoot?

From what I've seen on these and other forums, most people switch as a knee jerk reaction to one or two products looking for some improvement in their photography that no amount of gear is going to buy.

Oct 14, 2014 at 09:55 AM
vivisha
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikons answer for the Canon 7d II for affordable sports?

The 7Dll is going to cost $1800 +tax. If you're not focal length limited I would say get a D3/s and sell your D7100.

Oct 14, 2014 at 05:28 PM
markedman
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikons answer for the Canon 7d II for affordable sports?

mmorey79 makes a great point.
I have had many shooters work for me.
Almost every time I work with them they have a new camera.
Perhaps it is my old age thinking. I buy what I can afford.
Why go into debt with a new purchase when there is little benefit?
It is just like the I-phone madness. It comes out today "I must have it tomorrow".
My photos from 10 years ago using a D1X look damn good.
I believe it was more my skill than the equipment.
Granted the evolution of equipment has enabled me to improve and be more efficient. This is an obvious benefit. But having the latest equipment will not make me more profitable.
Which is my TOP PRIORITY!

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.