New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Aurora over Dawson

Markus L
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aurora over Dawson

Half landscape, half cityscape??

Anyways, I heard about this nice viewpoint over the city of Dawson, YT a few years ago, and thought it would be great to head back there at some point and try to catch the aurora over the city. Most visitors to Dawson go up the Midnight Dome for the view of Dawson from there, but I much prefer the view from this side of the river.

Fast forward 2 years and I'm back in Dawson after a long, tiring 12 hour drive from Inuvik. The forecast for the northern lights that night wasn't the best, however as this is likely to be my last trip to Dawson for a while I figured I'd head up to the viewpoint and wait to see if the lights would come out. Got there around 11:00pm, and about an hour later I was just about to pack up and head back to the hotel, when I finally noticed a light green band of light on over the town. The strong light from the almost-full moon just to the south of Dawson made it difficult to see the aurora, but helped to light up the landscape nicely. I took a few shots for the next 45 minutes then headed out.

Here is what I think was my favourite from the set. I had a difficult time not blowing out the highlights in the town while trying to get the shot. Any tips or critiques of the photo would be much appreciated.

Thanks for viewing!

Aurora over Dawson

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.