New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Family Pictures Taken - Unsure of Photographer

Stilltime
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Family Pictures Taken - Unsure of Photographer

I'm going to tread lightly here, because I do not know whether I'm making a big deal out of nothing or if I have some truth to my argument.

My wife and I had our first baby in July, and two weeks later we had a local do a shoot of our family in our home. The shoot went pretty well, our daughter, Mia, didn't want to sleep for us at all though

Fast forward 5 weeks, the photographer sends us a link to where she hosts the images, and a password so we can just download the files from there. I'm already unsure about this, but go along with it anyway. She knew I shoot from time to time, and we chatted about camera gear etc. She was shooting a 5D and 35/2 for the whole shoot, with a bounce flashed backwards.

I go to download the images, and notice after pulling one up that it is less than 1mb and 6 megapixels in size...my first thought was "why did she downsample these?" The resolution in the image properties was roughly in line with a Jpeg medium for a 5D. She swore up and down that the site she hosts with doesn't downsample, it just strips the metadata that's why the resolution is lower, and that it won't effect print quality.

I politely asked her to look into it, and offered to mail her a flash drive where she could copy the photos right from her computer.

The next day she says she "noticed something interesting" on the site she hosts, and it allowed her to upload them "without stripping anything" but they are identical to the images she already uploaded, and that I could try them out anyway. Well, I downloaded them and they are 7mb and 12.8 megapixel (based on resolution in properties)....??

Am I crazy for asking for this? We agreed on my wife and I purchasing full size digital images, with the intent of making large prints. I know the 6mpx files would have been fine, but what would she have gained from sending me those versus full size images?

I'm not disclosing the name of the photographer, and not trying to attack her, I just wanted another set of eyes on the situation. Whether I know everything in the world about photography, or don't know a DSLR from a camera phone, I shouldn't feel like I'm being lied to by the photographer.

Thanks in advance for the input, and sorry for the long rant!

- Chris C.

Oct 13, 2014 at 08:21 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Family Pictures Taken - Unsure of Photographer

Most sites, like my Smugmug site allow images to be shared at various sizes depending on how the site owner has set security. Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, 2X-Large, 3X-Large, and Original. So yes, sites do downsize your files. But they also have a copy of the original uploaded size. But you, the viewer, decides what size to look at. There should be a selection button somewhere.

You don't say what site it is, is it a professional site like Smugmug Pro or Zenfolio?

It's not unusual anymore for people to provide links and passwords. What was your agreement? I just attended a wedding and that's how it was done too. However, these days, some people are very concerned about privacy and don't want their images anywhere on the net. Still, you should be able to get the original files from the photographer on some other physical medium (although you will have to pay). A professional will not have deleted them.

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:00 AM
Stilltime
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Family Pictures Taken - Unsure of Photographer

The site is called Pass, I can't find any information on it - seems very stripped down to be just a simple viewer. There are also very limited options, all of the photos are displayed with a heart or shopping cart icons to like or purchase prints.

If you click on the photo it gives the option to share or download, and when you click download it doesn't give any other options. Just download...

I've used SmugMug, Photobucket, Flickr etc. but hadn't ever come across this site before. I have only used Zenfolio on iOS, but all of these options at least give you some level of access or options to what you are downloading.

The agreement was strictly verbal, she doesn't have a studio or a well established business. She does on-site shooting, and she had some nice images on her website (my wife liked her style a lot) so we gave her a shot.

She agreed to copy them to a USB, but suggested trying to download them again after she re-uploaded them "without having the site strip anything." So after the second go-around, they look ok.

- Chris C.

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:17 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Family Pictures Taken - Unsure of Photographer

Stilltime wrote:
The site is called Pass, I can't find any information on it.
- Chris C.

http://www.pass.us/

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:42 AM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Family Pictures Taken - Unsure of Photographer

whois information:

Domain Name: PASS.US
Domain ID: D1800115-US
Sponsoring Registrar: GoDaddy.com, Inc.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar URL (registration services): whois.godaddy.com
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited

Registrant ID: CR134336700
Registrant Name: David Jay
Registrant Address1: 8 Camino Verde
Registrant City: Santa Barbara
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 93103
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Country Code: US
Registrant Phone Number: +1.9283805940
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registrant Application Purpose: P3
Registrant Nexus Category: C11

Administrative Contact ID: CR134336728
Administrative Contact Name: David Jay
Administrative Contact Address1: 8 Camino Verde
Administrative Contact City: Santa Barbara
Administrative Contact State/Province: CA
Administrative Contact Postal Code: 93103
Administrative Contact Country: United States
Administrative Contact Country Code: US
Administrative Contact Phone Number: +1.8057763529
Administrative Contact Email: [email protected]
Administrative Application Purpose: P3
Administrative Nexus Category: C11

Billing Contact ID: CR134336730
Billing Contact Name: David Jay
Billing Contact Address1: 8 Camino Verde
Billing Contact City: Santa Barbara
Billing Contact State/Province: CA
Billing Contact Postal Code: 93103
Billing Contact Country: United States
Billing Contact Country Code: US
Billing Contact Phone Number: +1.8057763529
Billing Contact Email: [email protected]
Billing Application Purpose: P3
Billing Nexus Category: C11

Technical Contact ID: CR134336718
Technical Contact Name: David Jay
Technical Contact Address1: 8 Camino Verde
Technical Contact City: Santa Barbara
Technical Contact State/Province: CA
Technical Contact Postal Code: 93103
Technical Contact Country: United States
Technical Contact Country Code: US
Technical Contact Phone Number: +1.8057763529
Technical Contact Email: [email protected]
Technical Application Purpose: P3
Technical Nexus Category: C11

DNSSEC: unsigned
Name Server: NS0.SI-NS.COM
Name Server: NS1.SI-NS.COM
Name Server: NS2.SI-NS.COM
Name Server: NS3.SI-NS.COM
Name Server: NS4.SI-NS.COM
Name Server: NS5.SI-NS.COM

Created by Registrar: Domain People
Last Updated by Registrar: GoDaddy.com, Inc.
Last Transferred Date: Wed Jan 16 16:06:28 GMT 2013
Domain Registration Date: Wed Apr 24 14:40:01 GMT 2002
Domain Expiration Date: Thu Apr 23 23:59:59 GMT 2015
Domain Last Updated Date: Wed Jan 16 16:07:20 GMT 2013

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.