New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Family photoshoot

tolbenor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Family photoshoot

I have a family photoshoot this weekend. I'm not very comfortable with shooting family. I need some help on how to pose a family of 4? Family consists of husband and wife 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter. Thanks

Oct 13, 2014 at 03:47 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Family photoshoot

Well, I wouldn't do too many with them all standing - the height difference will not look very good. So, I would have them sit on a blanket, or at least have dad seated in a chair with arms. The chair should be at an angle to the camera so dad's legs are off to the side a little. Have mom sitting on an arm of the chair, with her legs also at an angle to the camera (basically you want their legs at an angle so their crotches are covered). You could have the 3yr old on dad's lap and the 6 year old standing on the other side of dad than mom. You could also have dad seated on a a small ottoman with mom kneeling on 1 knee behind dad but with her arms around him, with the kids on either side of him; again be sure to have dad's legs at an angle to the camera so you don't see his crotch.

Oct 13, 2014 at 07:16 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Family photoshoot

not really enough info to really help? outside, inside, what type of venue? I would suggest looking at some examples either in a portrait book or online. Usually you anchor the pose with the parents and add the kids one on each side is what I'd probably start with.
Also, I would add to suggest using a tripod so you can have eye contact and interaction with your subjects-especially the kids. Adults can handle a photographer behind the lens, but kids deal better with a smiling face looking back at them.

Oct 13, 2014 at 07:35 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Family photoshoot

This may give you some ideas:

Bambi Cantrell is also one of the masters of posing groups if you can find the appropriate video. I am pretty sure there are multiple sessions on Creative Live for a fee.

Oct 13, 2014 at 07:49 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Family photoshoot

Another tip is try to have the head heights at various levels that form triangles.

Oct 13, 2014 at 02:28 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Family photoshoot

tolbenor wrote:
I have a family photoshoot this weekend. I'm not very comfortable with shooting family. I need some help on how to pose a family of 4? Family consists of husband and wife 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter. Thanks

And you are asking this on the Canon Forum because?

Would be better asking here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/49

Oct 13, 2014 at 02:39 PM
chipiii

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Family photoshoot

HI,

Try some of the information on Michelle Celentano's Facebook page. Her book on photographing families is great, but you might be able to pick up enough off the site to solve the immediate problem.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/michelecelentano/?fref=nf

Oct 13, 2014 at 02:52 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Family photoshoot

You can get some great ideas here:

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/

On what NOT to do.

Oct 13, 2014 at 04:49 PM
dodgyexposure
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Family photoshoot

Sarsfield wrote:
You can get some great ideas here:

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/

On what NOT to do.

Beat me to it!

Oct 13, 2014 at 07:50 PM
jason.alabama
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Family photoshoot

Take the posed family photo first, but then let the kids play (with each other, with the parents). Once everybody loosens up you can get some great informal shots as well.

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:15 PM
tolbenor

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Family photoshoot

Thanks to you all for the great advice.

Oct 14, 2014 at 01:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.