Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

hashaama
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

There seems to be a great offer on Fuji X-Pro 1 here in the UK; the body is being sold for £799 (which I feel is expensive) but it comes with 2 lenses (18mm and 27mm). I am thinking of buying this as the price of these 2 lenses bought separately it is £738 so it seems the camera can be had for £61. What do you you think is it a good deal?

The only Fuji camera I have owned before was X100 and I really enjoyed using it. I currently have Sony NEX-6 and Nikon D-80 and they are not getting much use. I have previously had Nikon D700, D90 and few film SLR's all the way back to Nikon FE2.

Thanks
Hash

Oct 12, 2014 at 02:37 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

Xtrans watercolor effect in some images

rather dated EVF and an OVF that only works with a limited range of focal lengths

less than stellar AF

getting a bit long in the tooth with an eventual update coming sooner or later, likely with a bunch of cool new features like the X100t hybrid OVF, improved AF, new sensor (24meg probably) more features like wifi etc

That said, its a good camera though that is still enjoyable to shoot and something of a modern day classic

Those two lens seem a bit close in focal lengths though. I'd rather have the 14 and 27mm, or the 18 and 35mm, or the 18-55 paired with the 14 or 35

Oct 12, 2014 at 03:40 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

IQ should be good, but AF and operation are slow and the OVF doesn't lend itself well to manual lens usage.

I do kind of wonder if you'll get much use out of it, given your NEX-6 and D80 don't not get much use. It could be an ergonomic improvement for you, but it's up to you how much that matters.

Oct 12, 2014 at 03:47 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

millsart wrote:
Xtrans watercolor effect in some images

rather dated EVF and an OVF that only works with a limited range of focal lengths

less than stellar AF

getting a bit long in the tooth with an eventual update coming sooner or later, likely with a bunch of cool new features like the X100t hybrid OVF, improved AF, new sensor (24meg probably) more features like wifi etc

That said, its a good camera though that is still enjoyable to shoot and something of a modern day classic

Those two lens seem a bit close in focal lengths though. I'd rather have the 14 and 27mm, or the
...Show more

The X Pro 1 is so out of date now that I'm starting to think that Fuji isn't going to update it anymore. The X-T1 might be the new top of the line camera from Fuji.

Oct 12, 2014 at 04:26 PM
JohnLL
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

If you back-button focus the XP1, and only refocus when the distance changes, it is lightning fast. In decent light, refocusing is only a little on the slow side, but in practice - for me - it's quick enough. Probably better to focus manually in dim light. If they come out with an XP2 with greatly improved focus, I'll probably get it eventually, but I'm not desperate - planning on getting one or two more lenses first. I have the 18-55, which is an excellent zoom. Next will probably be the 10-24.

Oct 13, 2014 at 07:34 AM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

For that price, steal. Go for it!

Oct 13, 2014 at 08:04 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

The X-T1 is definitely the top of the line camera in the lineup. The X-Pro 1 has been massively improved via firmware over the years, but compared to newer Fuji bodies it is still less responsive, slower in AF and has an old relatively poor EVF by today's standards. The two lenses are not the best Fuji has to offer, but they're good. To really make the system sing, the 14, 23, 35 and 56 are where it's at.

To be honest, though, at that price, I'd much rather have the X-E2 (and I do). It doesn't have the OVF, but it's got the faster processor, phase detect AF, a higher resolution EVF with extremely low lag (on the latest firmware), WiFi, and is just a significantly more responsive machine. The only thing it lacks is the OVF vs. the X-Pro 1. You can get it body only for £459.00 at Wex including a £100 cashback offer, or £729 including the excellent 18-55 f/2.8-4.

Oct 13, 2014 at 08:08 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

Fuji have stated, I do believe, that the X-Pro is the top camera model in their lineup and that an updated version will only be released with significantly upgraded features/ specs. Thus, it will very likely be the first X model to get the new 24MP sensor.

Probably worth waiting on an updated model (February is likely imo) given your current kit and the long-in-the tooth X-Trans 16MP sensor.

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:53 AM
JohnLL
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

The pixel density of 24MP on APSc would give 54MP on full frame. I would only want that (on APSc) if they can sustain the DR and high ISO performance. On FF, I doubt if I'd want it at all - files would be huge!

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

JohnLL wrote:
The pixel density of 24MP on APSc would give 54MP on full frame. I would only want that (on APSc) if they can sustain the DR and high ISO performance. On FF, I doubt if I'd want it at all - files would be huge!

The higher pixel density specifically combined with the issues that the X-Trans color filter array scheme suffers from is likely to be more important with regard to overall IQ gains than say the jump from a bayer sensor going from 16MP>24MP. DR and noise should be as good or better at the same image size. It's really a win win situation, particularly for X-Trans.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM
hashaama
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

Great input people, thanks. I quite like 28-35mm range and my favourite lens on d700 was 28mm, that was a bulky combination, I liked x100 specially the optical viewfinder. I never quite felt that d700 didn't have enough pixels, I print max a3 and even that is not very comon. I thought 18mm on x pro1 will give me x100 viewfinder with 28mm and Fuji processing which I also like. The possibility of having more lenses was a bonus, I'd probably get the cheaper zoom (16-50?) and 56mm f1.2. Don't think I will use 27mm much but then with this deal I get that lens for £60 more than the kit with just 18mm lens which makes it worth trying out.

Thanks
Hash

Oct 13, 2014 at 04:25 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

Don't rule out the X100(s/t) and the conversion lens which turns the 35mm into a 28mm equiv, while still giving you the optical finder, along with a smaller camera, built in flash with the useful 1/2000th sync speed etc.

Having had both, the X100 with conversion lens is honestly better than the 18mm, and retains the f2.0 as well

Oct 13, 2014 at 06:49 PM
xfxray

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

I have a different view with these cameras.

I personally only keep lenses that I think are really, really good. I've been through a lot, and I probably currently have about 30% of the ones I've ever owned, and that's because I haven't had a need to sell one in while.

These lenses all have something in common; they are manual focus, manual aperture lenses that cover full frame. About half my lenses are German, the other half older Japanese lenses.

A camera like the Fuji presents two problems to me here. One is that the Fuji's lenses can never join them unless I shoot the Fuji forever or future cameras support them AND I never want to shoot full frame which would be odd considering the lenses I own. Autofocus and electronic aperture, that's just not a winning combination for me.

The second is that it seems to me like a complete waste to put a Leica 100 APO on on a smaller sensor than it was designed for. I am sure the Fuji 60 does a perfectly adequate, presumably even competitive, job on the sensor it was designed for. For far, far less money. Surely some people will disagree with me, and that's ok. But I'm the one with the 100APO, and the one without a crop camera.

So, for me, the Fuji isn't a very good choice until it gets so cheap I can use disposably. And I hate doing that, so I'd get an A7s instead. But that's me.

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:58 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

I did something similar with the EOS-M; I knew the camera was a dog itself, and the sensor very similar (slightly improved) over the 60D that I sold to finance my 6D, but getting lenses like the 18-55 and 22/2 along with the compact, commander capable flash and the EF-M to EF adapter for next to nothing made it worthwhile. And access to the excellent 11-22 just put icing on the cake .

Now I'll go hang my head in shame for thinking that Canon would be updating their mirrorless line with a decent sensor anytime in the near future- I'm 'putting up' with the current one in a sense.

But the crux of the argument itself is that it's a relatively inexpensive way to get into the Fuji system, and the almost free camera is a damn sight better than my EOS-M!

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

The xpro1 is still the only one in its class, nothing to compare it to.

That is: OVF, AF, no mirror and interchangeable lenses, if you you want these things there hasnt been anything else out there since the Contax G.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Sean Carpenter

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any reason I should not buy Fuji X-Pro 1?

xfxray wrote:
The second is that it seems to me like a complete waste to put a Leica 100 APO on on a smaller sensor than it was designed for. I am sure the Fuji 60 does a perfectly adequate, presumably even competitive, job on the sensor it was designed for. For far, far less money. Surely some people will disagree with me, and that's ok. But I'm the one with the 100APO, and the one without a crop camera.

So, for me, the Fuji isn't a very good choice until it gets so cheap I can use disposably. And I hate doing
...Show more

The crop doesn't bother me with telephotos, but it certainly limits things on the wide end. All my 24s are not so wide any more.

That being said, I am debating this exact same decision. I bought an A-1 for peanuts, and love it. Only thing I miss is having an OVF, so getting that means one choice. I'm currently evaluating the XPro1 and find that I like it OK enough, but can see how they implemented things better in the newer Fujis. Little things like deleting images are slower on the XPro1 from a process and processing standpoint. And I never thought I'd say this but I wish it had wifi.

FYI the Voigtlander 15mm has solved my wide needs. It's fantastic. The other Fuji lenses I have are equally good.

Oct 14, 2014 at 04:46 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.