Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

Some couples are VERY slow with proofing and submitting changes to their wedding album design. I've even had a few couples wait a full year or more before getting back to me with changes. I try to make the whole process as easy as possible, but I guess some people are either lazy or so burnt out from the wedding that they just don't care anymore.

Taking a suggestion, I wrote a clause into my contract about a year ago giving couples a maximum of four months to submit changes to their album. My question for the forum, is does anyone strictly enforce a clause this? Would you really just order an album against a clients' wishes just because your contract dictated it? Seems like to me this would really irritate them and quickly sour good client relations.

I hate having a bunch of stuff left on my client "to do" list, and I'd really like to get some of these albums out the door and off the list.

Thoughts?

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

I don't think it's too unreasonable. I might steer more towards 6 months after deliver, but 4 months seems fine.

The cost of things only increase over time, right? So there is a logical reason for there being a cut off time after the wedding.

My clients get regular auto-reminders on their gallery roughly every 4 weeks which sometimes reminds them "Oh, albums!", without me having to actually make an effort myself.

I think since having everything easily reviewable online it has made a bit of a difference. But at the same time, some people do just like to put off such decisions and/or have busy lives.

I think your way is perfectly reasonable. If you're not entirely comfortable yet, just make sure you discuss this prior to the wedding/booking and don't just leave it as a clause in the contract. If people are properly made aware of it, it's not the sort of thing they'll forget...

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

I just ordered someones album from 3 years ago. They paid for it, the money was set aside, I personally don't particularly care when they get around to ordering it. I just tell them (if it's +1 year later) that it's going to take a bit longer than originally anticipated to design it due to my workflow set up. They don't mind, no biggy to me.

I also have someone who bought an album, never ordered it, then got divorced, which leaves me in a sticky situation. I mean, I'll leave the money for the album there for a few years maybe? Just to see if they back together, who knows. Ain't doing nothing but drawing interest (albeit in very small amounts).

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:16 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

I have toyed with the idea of adding additional charges after a certain timeframe, which I am certain would motivate most to "get on it"

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

After 3 months Amy starts hounding people. Our contract says we can order it as-is after 3 months, though we never do.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

DannyBostwick wrote:
I just ordered someones album from 3 years ago. They paid for it, the money was set aside, I personally don't particularly care when they get around to ordering it. I just tell them (if it's +1 year later) that it's going to take a bit longer than originally anticipated to design it due to my workflow set up. They don't mind, no biggy to me.

I also have someone who bought an album, never ordered it, then got divorced, which leaves me in a sticky situation. I mean, I'll leave the money for the album there for a few
...Show more

My good friends are 3 years in now and have not even started the process. I feel bad for the photographer, so I keep bugging them about it to no avail.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

From my contract:

Album revisions - all albums are pre-designed and previewed digitally. Client has the option to accept or reject any spread. A total of 3 revision cycles are allowed at no additional cost. Additional revisions are billed at $25 per page; which includes, but not limited to, image swaps, background changes, and other special requests.

Album completion - album designs must be completed and approved within one year of Client’s wedding date. If Client fails to participate in completing their album, this contract will be considered fulfilled and no album will be delivered.

I also won't deliver their images until the album is completed. I actually send the finished album along with their flash drive. Since making these changes, I haven't had hardly any delays in getting albums approved.

Disclaimer: I would never not complete a couple's album. It's the threat that works

Oct 12, 2014 at 03:15 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

I guess the other side of this is protecting the client as well.

For example, a friend just told me how they'd paid in full for their album (a real one, not so,e cheap book) and a large canvas... And they were married like 18months ago now. Their photographer went AWOL and took ages even with their disk, and now it seems the small claims court is their route. Not that it'll be difficult given you've paid for something and simply not received it at all...

Oct 12, 2014 at 03:23 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

RKTodd wrote:
I also won't deliver their images until the album is completed. I actually send the finished album along with their flash drive. Since making these changes, I haven't had hardly any delays in getting albums approved.

This is a rather brilliant solution right here. I might have to use this.

Oct 13, 2014 at 07:51 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

Other than initial image selection, I don't involve the clients at all. They pick 80 images, I design in Fundy and send to publisher. The whole process takes 90 minutes start to finish (I go back and retouch all their picks).

Client has 12 months to make their selection.

It's rare I don't get a glowing eMail the day the book arrives (usually 2 weeks from their image submission). They're happy, I'm happy. Namaste.

Oct 13, 2014 at 08:46 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

I should add — if the client doesn't select a photo of the cake, I will — as I will for any missing moments in their story. So they pick 80 and I usually add 10 or so to the mix (on the form they can designate any images they WOULDN'T want in their album). I also bonus pages all the time. Your wedding was so awesome I couldn't fit it in the alloted amount so I bonused you 3 spreads. Rave reviews online.

Albums don't have to be hard if you don't want them to be.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

I also deliver the full res pictures with the album.

If I didn't I probably still wouldn't bother pushing because I have taken the money for it already. The increase in cost of the album per year isn't large enough to make me chase it.

Oct 13, 2014 at 02:20 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

Mark_L wrote:
I also deliver the full res pictures with the album.

If I didn't I probably still wouldn't bother pushing because I have taken the money for it already. The increase in cost of the album per year isn't large enough to make me chase it.

I used to do this. I switched a little over a year ago. I've found no real pattern in urgency. If people really want an album, they want an album, and pay for it. I find those people more often than not don't really care too much about the files.

Always good to test such things though, and I'm sure it'll work differently for different people.

Oct 13, 2014 at 02:27 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

My clients are always so excited to get their album they usually hound ME for the shipping ETA. Surprising. I lol'd at the 3 years later album. They certainly were in no rush.

Oct 13, 2014 at 02:41 PM
Ryan Britton
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Forcing couples to proof their album?

Our contract says something similar, but our time limit is 6 months. We've never had to refer someone to that clause since those over the limit have never come back for their album, but if we did we'd probably charge them our wholesale cost with the rationale that our supplier's prices have increased and that that was the purpose of the time limit.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:22 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.