New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

Currently I have the single head gp Quadra Kit with the pack,lead/acid battery, the Elinchrom sky port transmitter, the standard cord for the pack to head. And the head designed for gp photography.

I have an opertunity to buy a s head iirc the one designed for special speed photography the pluse if this head is shorter than the gp head. It also comes with the wire for hooking it to the pack. The pack supports two heads.

My question is will it be ok to use both heads in unison? I'm assuming the photos will work like the gp head since the light from it hanging around longer than the s heads light. If I wish to stop action I'll only use the s head but can I use both for gp photography? There should be no harm to the equipment itself.

I have written to Elichrom asking them if it's ok to use both for gp photography, but haven't heard anything from them.

I will buy the head either way that way I will have the s head for stopping motion when needed and a a head for normal use.

But I'm wondering if they can work together without problems. I'm assuming if a Speedlite and monolites or pack systems can work together these can also.

Oct 12, 2014 at 02:44 AM
Stripper
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

I don't know for sure about your quadra pack but my Micro 3000 pack specifically says in the instructions that not only do the two heads work fine together but that the pack automatically compensates for the differences in charge times required. I am relatively sure that the quadra does this too. As far as the flash durations working together this is no problem for the lights or for the camera.

JohnCote

Oct 12, 2014 at 07:31 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

Thanks JC. I looked in the manuals are it says that there are two types of heads the s head is for standard gp shooting and the a head for stopping action. Then as far as the pack that socket a puts out so much power, has x amount of f stops and the flash last this long. Socket b puts out a different ammouny of power, has a different range off stops and a different flash duration iirc. So I guess if I put the right head on the right socket it will composite for the other and balance them out. I hustle glanced over it not comparing any of the numbers. The nice thing will be having both heads in case I want to stop action I can and having the gp head for most portrait, studio type work.

I'll play with both heads individually and the try each Ina different socket individually then try both plugged in to each sock and see what it does. I bought a pelican 1430 case but it only seams to have room for one head with a elichrom light stand modifier adapter hopefully I can repack and get bout heads and cables in like the tog that gave me the idea of getting the 1430 for the Quadra setup. Otherwise I'll use it for my qfalash and get a different case for the Quadra. Maybe somebody will be selling the two head Kit case at a good price. If not I might get a second battery and pack setup down the road and want to have room for two heads and two packs two cables and two light stand adapters plus an extension cable I'm thinking the 1550 would be about right and since the one im using for my camera and lenses plus is getting too small im thinking of upgrading to a second 1654 I'll use the 1554 for the elinchrom gear the 1435 for the Qflash gear the one 1654 for my Speedlite and stuff and the second for my camera and lenses plus other gear my 1660 is for my Speedotron gear and other studio stuff. I have one SKB golf case for modifiers and light stands and a NalPak for the rest of my light stands namely my cstands and booms and one of my bg kits iirc the other one is in the SKB with my store bought skylight and pc frame skylight. My tripods and go to light stands and other grip gear are in individual soft cases. I need a second SKB golf case to put those soft case kits in for security.

I use pelican cases as I live in a RV, fifth wheel toy hauler and want my gear to survive if I have another accident that destroys the camper. I need another 1660 for my reloading gear. I also need something yet to be developed by pelican or any of the hard case manufactors to put my guns in that will fit where I keep them. I thought pelican was on to something when they came out with the two armory cases but iirc one is molded for ar only and the other is foam for ars I wish they would make the cases as designed without the foam or pre molded plastic and use a padded divider so the long guns could be a variety of models and you open it up and have the two sides holding your long gun collection or at least part of it.

Oct 12, 2014 at 02:56 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

I'm assuming by "gp" photography you mean general purpose?

In any case, yes you can run two heads simultaneously. The pack is Asymmetrical. 66% of the power is on Channel A. The B channel uses 33% and is the faster or shortest flash duration channel. Or you get 100% power with one head on the A channel.

The A head is the faster head. So, if you want the shortest flash duration for stopping action, use an A head on the B channel. You can also use the S head on the B channel but it won't be as fast as the A. The downside to this is you have less overall power.

It's nice to have both heads. With the S head you can now do Hypersync with the Pocketwizard system. This benefit is really nice for outdoor shooting.

Edited on Oct 13, 2014 at 03:48 PM · View previous versions

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

To add to what Greg said... I believe there is a slight output difference between the A head and the S head. I think the S head puts out about 1/3 stop more light due to the efficiency design of the flash tube. So mixing and matching heads can result in different lighting ratios than the standard 1:2 ratio on the A and B channel.

Oct 13, 2014 at 03:41 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

Thanks for the info I'm glad they'll play well together. How can I use the hyper sync when the Quadra doesn't accept the pw module it only works with the standard radios or the iTTL radio in standard mode. Please expand on how to do this as it is something I'm interested in I can use the skyPort transmitter to change the settings off camera manually and use a pw ii or III on the pack for the actual triggering or set it up to be triggered optically off the Ettl from the other lites iirc. But how to get it to work in hype mode has me stumped.

Oct 14, 2014 at 04:23 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

In order to do Hypersync with the Quadra you first need an S head. Then you need a TT-5. You plug it into the sync jack on your Quadra and the P2 jack on the TT-5. You can't adjust power up or down but it will Hypersync. Google Hypersync with Quadra and you find a couple of guys doing it.

Oct 14, 2014 at 09:24 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

Ok but you still can change the power with the skyPort manualy and use the tt5 to trigger the pack. But it requires the s head. I should have it in a week or so.

Oct 15, 2014 at 03:10 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

No,you can't change the power with Skyport if you are using the TT-5 for Hypersync. You also need a TT-1 or TT-5 on your camera to trigger the TT-5 connected to the Quadra. The only way you can adjust power is if you are using Pocketwizard's ST-4 with a Rander or RX- series strobe. So, you lose the advantage of the Skyport but gain the advantage of Hypersync. I have found that it is usually not that big of an issue as you are usually shooting close to full power outdoor anyway.

Oct 15, 2014 at 09:33 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

What's keeping you from changing the power with the skyPort manually with it off camera and using the tt1 on camera and any pw radio that receives on the pack?

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

Yes that works, I can't believe I haven't thought to try it yet. Thanks for the tip.

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:56 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question for Elinchrom Quadra owners

No problem I do it for my Quadra and Qflash systems.

Oct 16, 2014 at 01:25 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.