New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Processing scanned film

Paul L.
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Processing scanned film

I recently had a bunch of film scanned, with each photo scanned to JPEG. I'd like to do some processing on them now, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do so.

Should I open them and export them as TIFF? Or edit them and save the final edits as a TIFF or PSD? Or is there some other, better way to do this?

Thanks,
Paul

Oct 11, 2014 at 04:43 PM
elfanucchi
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Processing scanned film

You can .. export as TIFF or PSD ..
but really there is no exact science to this ... it is user preference.
You might prefer DNG .. I would.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html

Oct 11, 2014 at 04:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Processing scanned film

Paul L. wrote:
I recently had a bunch of film scanned, with each photo scanned to JPEG. I'd like to do some processing on them now, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do so.

Should I open them and export them as TIFF? Or edit them and save the final edits as a TIFF or PSD? Or is there some other, better way to do this?

Thanks,
Paul

Not really. Ideally the scans should have been produced as 16-bit TIFFs directly. I'd convert them to 16-bit for working them in PS.

EBH

Oct 11, 2014 at 05:17 PM
Paul L.
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Processing scanned film

OK, thanks. I'll see what I can do.

Oct 11, 2014 at 05:29 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Processing scanned film

You are starting with 8 bit files so I see no benefit to saving them in 16 bit after editing. Just make sure they are in 16 bit when editing so you do not introduce any artifacts such as posterization.

Oct 11, 2014 at 06:57 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Processing scanned film

EB-1 wrote:
Not really. Ideally the scans should have been produced as 16-bit TIFFs directly. I'd convert them to 16-bit for working them in PS.

EBH

I agree.

For OP: I recommend editing a couple of the jpg files to see if they are good enough for your purposes. If not then consider rescanning directly to 16-bit un-compresses TIFF.

Oct 13, 2014 at 02:17 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Processing scanned film

With any luck the major bit-level-sensitive edits such as capturing the entire dynamic range of the film has been done, in which case jpg is probably quite OK. More likely, however, you didn't get that level of service.

16-bit Tiffs are great for the initial scan but at about 135MB per slide I think they can quickly get unmanageable. At least DVDs are now very affordable and no more expensive than CDs which can only hold 5 or 6 of those tiff files.

Whatever process you use for editing I suggest that you keep your master images intact somewhere and back them up. You might find that quick and dirty editing is more than adequate for most of your images but either now or later you will find a few that need the Royal treatment; they are the ones that will need to be converted before editing to maximize image quality.

So long as you can track down the originals later on you'll be ok. That might get hard if you rename the edited copies.

- Alan

Oct 14, 2014 at 01:04 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Processing scanned film

Psd is the format to use while working on an image then you convert it to the needed format for the desired output. My scanner outputs as an old nif iirc format or tiff if I use the scanners software but if I use ps then I can use almost any format.

Oct 15, 2014 at 04:14 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.