Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

KirkB
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Disclaimer: These images aren't technically very good and certainly not up to the standard set here in the Landscape Forum... I'm posting them to share one of the coolest hikes I've ever done, and to encourage you to do it the next time you visit Zion NP.

I did this hike in October 2012, it's a somewhat strenuous hike that climbs 1,500 feet in 2.4 miles, but the views of Zion are incredible and not accessible any other way but to hike to the top. Totally worth it and really a must-do experience.

Thanks for taking a look, and feel free to ask any questions.

Kirk

1. From the trail head looking up to Angel's Landing. 1,500 ft climb in 2.4 miles

http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/147838335/original.jpg

2. These are the switchbacks in the first third of the hike

http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/147838333/original.jpg

3. Beautiful view of the valley looking south and the lower trail.

http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/147838332/original.jpg

4. This is the first time you see the top from the trail... I am not afraid of heights at all, but I must say this scene was a little intimidating when I first saw it.

http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/147838328/original.jpg

5. Me at the top.

http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/147838316/original.jpg

I absolutely loved every minute of this awesome hike... you will too. Do it.

Edited by JimFox on Oct 15, 2014 at 02:54 PM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2014 at 02:23 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Great story... given the pictures gave me the willies, I'm not sure I'll be able to do this hike!
Chris

Oct 11, 2014 at 02:34 PM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Thanks for this Kirk. Angel's Landing has been on my to do list for next month and now it's on my must do list for next month.

Oct 11, 2014 at 02:39 PM
Jonas Ottos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

This hike is not for the faint of heart nor for those suffering from vertigo :-)

Jonas

Oct 11, 2014 at 02:51 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Schlotkins wrote:
Great story... given the pictures gave me the willies, I'm not sure I'll be able to do this hike!
Chris

As with most things that give us pause and keep us from doing it, it's more mental than physical... the chains are all very secure so if you take your time you can make it. You should at least go to Scout Lookout where the restrooms are, very east trail to get there and the view is worth it.

Kirk

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:51 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

It looks like there weren't many other hikers on the trail up that day. When I went, it was so crowded that I turned around at the saddle beyond Scout's Landing. It just wasn't safe IMO having to leapfrog people coming down while I ascended. Maybe next time it will be less crowded. Great place.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Angel's landing is a very fun hike --- very psychological, that's for sure. My wife and I did that hike for the first time on our Honeymoon in 2012, though I had been to Zion many times before then. For those would would like to re-live the experience, or who are curious about it, check out this fun video I made back in June when I hiked Angels landing with a gopro mounted 4 feet above my head, facing straight down. :-)

http://youtu.be/LpmuakyEWpo

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:30 PM
bflood
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

On behalf of those like me who will never reach Angel's Landing (disabled), thanks, Kirk for the photos. I've seen photos of the canyon taken from the landing many times, but a set of photos that illustrates the climb like you've posted here are uncommon.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:48 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Kirk,
Thanks for this - its a great documentary set of pics - and you just added Angel's Landing on my to do list!
Dave

Oct 12, 2014 at 05:24 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Thank you for sharing these. What a wicked hike. Would love to be there one day.

Ben, thanks for sharing the video.

Oct 12, 2014 at 02:46 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

John Zeman wrote:
Thanks for this Kirk. Angel's Landing has been on my to do list for next month and now it's on my must do list for next month.

Glad to hear it John... you're going to love it. I'll look forward to your pics.

Kirk

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Jonas Ottos wrote:
This hike is not for the faint of heart nor for those suffering from vertigo :-)

Jonas

It actually looks worse than it is, but going up to Scout's Lookout is easy and the views are worth the hike on a very wide and safe path.

Kirk

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

NCAndy wrote:
It looks like there weren't many other hikers on the trail up that day. When I went, it was so crowded that I turned around at the saddle beyond Scout's Landing. It just wasn't safe IMO having to leapfrog people coming down while I ascended. Maybe next time it will be less crowded. Great place.

I was the first one to the top this day, about 15 minutes later a father and daughter arrived and stayed for about another 15 minutes... then they left and I had 90 minutes ALONE... it was an awesome experience. Next time you go, take the first shuttle and you'll beat the crowds and enjoy the best part of the day on top.

Kirk

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Ben Horne wrote:
Angel's landing is a very fun hike --- very psychological, that's for sure. My wife and I did that hike for the first time on our Honeymoon in 2012, though I had been to Zion many times before then. For those would would like to re-live the experience, or who are curious about it, check out this fun video I made back in June when I hiked Angels landing with a gopro mounted 4 feet above my head, facing straight down. :-)

http://youtu.be/LpmuakyEWpo

AWESOME video Ben, thanks for sharing it here... very cool.

For those who want to do the hike... the video makes it look worse than it actually is... I promise.

Kirk

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:13 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Great shots Kirk. Done this twice. Last hike was with my kids. They loved it and still talked about it. The video is awesome and thanks for sharing that Ben.
harsha

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:05 AM
smmokan16
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

Next time you're there, check out the hike up to Observation Point... almost 1k feet above Angel's Landing. It doesn't have the "wow factor" of the hike itself, but the views are even more amazing (although they're both awesome)!

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:23 AM
lookoutscout
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

I have heard of this hike--wow, great pictures. Zion is a place I have to visit and spend some time exploring. Thanks for taking time to share these--very nice.
Dave

Oct 13, 2014 at 07:32 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

I also appreciate your posted pics. That is as close to that place as I'll ever be. I'm not in shape enough for hikes such as that to be sure. A good number of folks have lost their lives in that place as well as we will hear from time to time on the news here in Utah. Love the pics. Makes you feel as if you're there.

Oct 13, 2014 at 08:13 AM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

You have provided the BEST pics and descriptions of this hike and trail that I have ever seen. Well done and thanks for sharing. BTW, your images are excellent and NOT AT ALL technically inferior.

Alan

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Angel's Landing Zion NP

bflood wrote:
On behalf of those like me who will never reach Angel's Landing (disabled), thanks, Kirk for the photos. I've seen photos of the canyon taken from the landing many times, but a set of photos that illustrates the climb like you've posted here are uncommon.

You're welcome Bob, and I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing this tremendous hike from my perspective.

Kirk

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.