New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Short, sturdy tripod

drewmey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Short, sturdy tripod

I have been reading through past tripod discussions and haven't found the exact right solution I am looking for. I use the Peak Design Capture Pro (Arca Plate) and the Leash. So after I find these legs, I'll need a compatible tripod head. Really fits my needs perfectly and actually makes me use my camera more than the neck strap I previously had but that is another story. I'll list my needs because half of them are expected but some are the exact opposite of what other people are looking for.

1. Sturdy: I use a tripod for long exposures in the woods or of landscape in the Shenandoah valley. So it needs to be sturdy. Pretty typical there.

2. Height: This is the thing that is unusual. I want a tripod that DOESN'T extend high. I always shoot low to the ground. I would prefer not to have one that extends high because it is extra volume and weight when I hike. I am hoping it is extra cost too, might save me a little money.

3. Weight Potential: I don't need much at all. I shoot with the Canon 6D (1.7 pounds), no battery grip and smallish primes. Currently the Canon 28mm 2.8 IS (.57 pounds) and Canon 50mm 1.4 (.64 pounds). My next purchase will be a prime in the 14-24mm range, so it likely won't be too heavy.

4. Tripod weight. Not a huge deal as long as it isn't ridiculous. I am hoping finding a short one will help save on weight without spending extra money on a carbon fiber one.

So I don't need height, I don't need much weight carrying capacity but I want to remain sturdy for long exposure. I am hoping that finding one that fits this will save me some money since I don't need the height or the capacity.

Oct 11, 2014 at 08:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Short, sturdy tripod

A quick search for "short tripod" at B&H turns up this option.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1031409-REG/varavon_va30_babyt1_baby_tripod_ti.html

Plus, I remember that there is a Berlbach shortie,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655100-REG/Berlebach_BE50032_2_Section_Mini_Tripod_With.html

I just received an Edelkrone "Pocket Stand" to try out for travel photography, as an alternative to my Manfrotto 345 tabletop tripod kit. It might be a bit too low for you.

Edelkrone http://www.edelkrone.com/us/p/329/pocket-series

Also, you can get a "ground pod", but I suspect that's not what you want.

Edited on Oct 11, 2014 at 09:15 AM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:06 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Short, sturdy tripod

Thanks for the info, I had never heard of a ground pod. I would like just a bit more versatility than that. But a very interesting product.

Also, after looking at your links, I think I have over described my need for low. These remind me a bit of table top tripods. I was thinking more in the 6"-30". I guess the head might push me a bit closer to that.

I have done many "short tripod" searches, and that is my problem. I keep getting what I would call table top tripods. I might be able to make that second one work for my needs.

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:12 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Short, sturdy tripod

I think you should consider a high quality light weight travel class tripod, that is short enough when collapsed that it packs well for you. Then, use it with most of the legs collapsed, which will give you plenty of stability. You will get full leg angle adjustment, and easy ability to adapt to un even ground. You will also have the option to work from as low as you want up to higher than you describe. You will have a bit more weight to haul around than is ideal, but going this way gives you a wide choice of quality tripods to select from, including Gitzo and Really Right Stuff.

There are a lot of light weight ball heads that are still secure enough to handle the fairly light weight load you describe. My experience is limited to Really Right Stuff, so I will suggest the BH-30, which includes an independent pan base adjustment. You did not mention if you do panoramas, but they can be a way to get wider shots with a minimum of lenses.

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Short, sturdy tripod

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Mighty-Low-Boy.html

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8876/.f

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:42 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Short, sturdy tripod

Thanks guys. That Mighty Low-Boy looks like the right height choices for me. Having trouble finding somewhere to purchase it though. At least I know something of that height existed. Adorama says that it is discontinued I have only been finding 2"-18" and then like 20"-60". Having trouble finding that in between.

I may just have to buy something like Roland suggested that was more than my needs but still meets the criteria.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Short, sturdy tripod

that is a manfrotto tripod modified by Kirk. they in this case like RRS are the only source for it. that because it is done on a custom basis and on another manufacturers tripod. before setting out for something else call Kirk on Tuesday (Monday holiday). see what they have to say.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Short, sturdy tripod

Sounds a little pricey for a young amateur like me I am surprised of the lack of options in this tripod size. I am guessing it is not a common desire to have it at that height (there are lots of low height and medium-high height but few low-medium). Ha maybe I should rethink the height at which I'm shooting.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:38 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Short, sturdy tripod

with most tripods you can get down to 6" depending on the head you use. don't forget your tripod is a tool used in the realization of your shot. it not just an accessory.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Short, sturdy tripod

sjms wrote:
don't forget your tripod is a tool used in the realization of your shot. it not just an accessory.

Are you suggesting to buy the tripod that can do all scenarios and then use it in the way the shot dictates? I don't shoot at my full height but I guess it couldn't hurt to have that ability.

Oct 11, 2014 at 05:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Short, sturdy tripod

no unfortunately there is no such thing. you get one that can cover a reasonable range. my smaller and smallest tripods that are 4 sections will reach approx 6" from the ground full spread. and in the end yes you get creative. its all about judgment and how you work.

Oct 11, 2014 at 06:57 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Short, sturdy tripod

Well I didn't mean all all I meant more than the range that I almost exclusively use. Doesn't hurt to have extra. Thanks for the help everyone.

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:32 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Short, sturdy tripod

another trick is just stick a ballhead on a chunk of Al plate - paint it black if you like...

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:28 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Short, sturdy tripod

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216792

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Short, sturdy tripod

excellent suggestion. a floor plate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032708-REG/fplate_fp_1_single_floor_plate.html

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:39 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Short, sturdy tripod

Feisol 3301 or 3401

Oct 18, 2014 at 04:48 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Short, sturdy tripod

is a bean bag a possibility? I tend to carry one around with me to put on an odd spot. works quite well. You can use a plastic bag + lava rock + sock to make it. I had spare hydroton I used for my bean bag, very light weight pebbles, wrapped with ziplock and black sock.

Oct 18, 2014 at 06:05 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Short, sturdy tripod

How about something like this? http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/CMS-MINI_II.html
I saw one at a store recently and almost grabbed it. It was only around $30.

Oct 19, 2014 at 03:15 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Short, sturdy tripod

Thanks everyone. Not sure if a floor plate would work for me because the outside surfaces I would be sitting it on may or may not be flat enough for a good balance. I really like the SLIK Mini ii (Non-table top one), but it seems to come with a ball head (SLIK sbh-100dq), which I can tell won't be compatible with my Peak Design Capture clip that I use. Everything I have read says to use one of their approved ARCA plate heads or at least one that is a screw knob ARCA heads.

I'll probably be choosing between:
1. Buy a beanbag and a medium sized tripod. Don't pull out the tripod unless I have to.
2. Buy a SLIK Mini ii, sell the SBH-100DQ, and buy a head that I know will work for me.

Oct 20, 2014 at 02:08 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Short, sturdy tripod

I think this is your best bet:

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=264&sprache=english

Berlebach Report 703

Max height 34", min height: 2", load capacity: 12kg, vibration dampening: for sure better than any el cheapo CF/Alu tripod, folded length=19", weight: ~4lb.

You then can add your preferred tripod head. And it's relatively cheap.

Oct 20, 2014 at 02:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.