New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Loneliness...or?

musingclouds
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Loneliness...or?

I posted these images in the RX-1/R thread. I figure I'd share it here for your thoughts.

Was taken to task recently about processing, however, I think the colors really work out here. But the criticism has definitely made me more conscious about "the how and why" I do things in Lightroom now. All handheld, street photography around 8:40 PM on the streets of San Francisco.

Enjoy

Waiting by theleestudio, on Flickr

Missed Connection by theleestudio, on Flickr

Pause by theleestudio, on Flickr

Oct 11, 2014 at 02:15 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Loneliness...or?

Anytime you do anything out of the norm, you're going to be taken to task by some. Some ppl will dislike it for it being different. You have to decide if the processing helps convey the message of your image, and it sounds like you have.

Oct 11, 2014 at 07:47 AM
sibirdie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Loneliness...or?

You made a fan of me.

Oct 11, 2014 at 08:08 AM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Loneliness...or?

Thanks everyone!

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:56 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Loneliness...or?

If one sees photography as art, then there is no right or wrong.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:10 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Loneliness...or?

I like this set. The processing style had good potential. If you work at perfecting this style, images can be amazing. I think it needs more work.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Loneliness...or?

Thanks tonyfield!

Any suggestions on how I can perfect the style/what kind of changes you'd like to see?

Definitely would love to hear your thoughts on how to improve.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:02 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Loneliness...or?

You are using tone ranges that suits you. To me, the idea works, however the exact tone range you used feels incorrect. I cannot describe it any better.

A friend of mine developed an excellent "odd" tone range image style and it took him 6 months before he "got it right". In other words, keep working at it

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Loneliness...or?

Mr. Lee, I think what Tony may be saying is climb a barren mountain, find a perch (preferably with a harsh cross wind and maybe some lightning), assume the lotus position, fast for a couple of weeks and the correct colors will come to you amidst hallucinations (bring crayons so you don't forget them. Hallucinations can be remarkably fleeting).

I think the rest of us may be saying your work is artistic, interesting and completely at the mercy of subjective opinion. It's equally right when either you believe it's right or when it sells well. For my part, I like it a lot.

Regards,

Chuck

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:18 AM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Loneliness...or?

Appreciate the clarification, Chuck. I've never been too great with meditation though :P

But I do own crayons. I'll see what I come up with...

A lot of people have told me I have a particular style, whether its the kind of shots I like taking, or the way I do post processing. I always tell them I have no idea what they are talking about (this is not me being modest, this is me simply being clueless), but with the comments you guys bring up...it gets me thinking. I'm still trying to put my finger on exactly what is it that feels 'right' to me, so perhaps you guys are all onto something.

I will have to dig a little deeper into the why I do things, rather than just going off my intuition.

I'm a mostly self taught photographer (have a film major background which somewhat helps, and have spent 4 years just taking photo after photo, picking up what works from various youtube videos and books, and discarding what doesn't.)

Technically speaking, I probably break a ton of rules, or do stuff that I'm not "supposed" to be doing. So I'm trying to get a firmer grasp of the things/rules I'm inadvertently breaking, so that I can be more intentional rather than go by photographer instinct.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and thoughts!

-Jason

Edited on Oct 12, 2014 at 08:02 AM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2014 at 06:17 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Loneliness...or?

Hi Jason,

I hear you and I hope you know my expression of appreciation for your images was sincere. You've got me thinking about my own processing and what I might like to experiment with.

My climb the mountain humor/sarcasm [hopefully lite] was playfully directed at Tony, whose work I enjoy and whom I trust to take it in the good natured spirit in which it was intended...

tonyfield wrote:
You are using tone ranges that suits you. To me, the idea works, however the exact tone range you used feels incorrect. I cannot describe it any better.

Fair enough. I'm kinda in the same boat - the idea works - I can't really explain why - though I don't find anything "incorrect".

tonyfield wrote:
A friend of mine developed an excellent "odd" tone range image style and it took him 6 months before he "got it right". In other words, keep working at it

Huh?

Oct 12, 2014 at 07:56 AM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Loneliness...or?

Oh definitely, I didn't take any slight from any of the comments.

This is the internet, I like to take criticism and commentary as it is. Free and hopefully helpful, as most of the comments here are usually.

Oct 12, 2014 at 08:04 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.