FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Best 85mm lens for Canon

johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Best 85mm lens for Canon

From my experience owning the f/1.8 lens and renting the f/1.2 lens- both lenses are plenty sharp wide open and razor sharp stopped down, but the f/1.2 lens opens up to f/1.2 and is otherwise better than the f/1.8 lens from f/1.8 to about f/2.8 in terms of contrast and CA (of all kinds).

In other words, while one doesn't have to be as careful with the f/1.2 lens as f/1.8 lens when shooting wider than f/2.8.

Oct 14, 2014 at 09:05 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Best 85mm lens for Canon

I've tried a number of times, but still can't quite gel with the 85 prime focal length (same goes for 135mm). I've mostly used the Samyang 85/1.4 and Canon 85L II. One of my biggest disappointments with both these lenses is the relatively long MFD (both are approx. 1m). I find I am often short about 6-8" on close-ups I'd like to take. If I could take the lenses down to around 2'+, I'd be happier. Although it's no solution for AF convenience, I use the 90 TSE to get closer, or move up to the 100L and get great AF and IS.

I've got the focal length covered with several zooms, and am especially pleased with the magnification from the 24-105L going to 1.5', at the sacrifice of the wide aperture range of 1.2-4.0, which is quite a sacrifice for portraits or effects. But a lot of the time, I am going for smaller apertures in general close-up shots (f/8-11), so the zoom works fine for non-technical shots.

MFD
Samyang 1m
85L II 3.1'
85/1.8 2.8'
90TSE 1.6'
24-105L 1.5'
100L IS 1.0'

So, for a fast and close-focusing 85mm (with AF and IS), I'm out of luck.

I've seen some tremendous shots taken with the 85s, so I haven't given up completely!

Oct 14, 2014 at 09:43 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.