New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Percent Fill Flash

iseeq4life

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Percent Fill Flash

I just got a Sekonic L-358. Is there anyway to figure out what the ISO/Aperture should be when a certain percentage of fill flash is desired?

Oct 10, 2014 at 02:49 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Percent Fill Flash

First choose the f/stop you want to shoot at. You should be shooting at your lowest ISO unless you need more light output for some reason. Then use your meter to set the key light to that exposure setting. Then shut your key off and do the same with your fill ight only lowering the power in whole stops if you want and even ratio, i.e one stop less would be 2:1, 2 stps less would be 3:1, etc. You may have to lower the output of both lights equally, when you combine the two to meter your overall exposure to coincide with f/ stop you chose.

Oct 10, 2014 at 09:31 PM
iseeq4life

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Percent Fill Flash

I was thinking ambient lighting with a strobe as fill light.

It probably would work the same way, I should meter the scene with strobes off and then add the strobe in and meter again. I will try this next time.

Oct 11, 2014 at 01:46 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Percent Fill Flash

Exactly. But in this case you also have to be concerned about your shutter speed. Depending on how much ambient there is, you can only shoot as high as your max camera's sync speed. So, if the ambient is higher than your sync, unless you are using high speed sync with a Speedlight, you will have to shoot at your max sync and let that determine your f/stop. Get it?

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:38 AM
iseeq4life

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Percent Fill Flash

My camera's max is 1/250 but I usually keep it at 1/200.

Thanks for the tips.

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Percent Fill Flash

I don't know about the Sekonic L-358 but my meter - Minolta IV - shows the composite elements of the combined exposure by providing indicators for overall exposure and the flash contribution. The Sekonic L-358 might have the same function which should solve your problem.

Oct 13, 2014 at 02:54 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Percent Fill Flash

Yes you can do accumulative metering with the 358.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Percent Fill Flash

I have the L-358, it does take ambient and flash measurements and will automatically give the fill percentage. If you want to adjust, you move the jog wheel to a setting that is close to the desire fill percentage. These may help

Brochure
http://www.sekonic.com/portals/0/products/sekonic_brochure.pdf

Manual
http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/l-358_english.pdf

Oct 13, 2014 at 02:55 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.