New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · GH4 flash fires while closed

jbregar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GH4 flash fires while closed

Today, I fired up my GH4 and went to snap a photo and the camera made a pretty loud POP sound and I instantly smelled that "magic smoke" (burning plastic/electronics) smell. Pretty sure it was the flash firing while closed because when I turned it off it said "Please close the flash" (or something similar). I finally got it to pop up the flash and the flash fired as you'd expect and when I closed it it didn't fire again (and no message to shut it when powering off).

I haven't been able to reproduce this, but its definitely disconcerting. Considering exchanging it just to be on the safe side. Thoughts? I found one other mention on the web of this issue, but it doesn't seem widespread.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GH4 flash fires while closed

That;s your safest move. Just because you couldn't make it happen again does not mean it won't happen. Any time you smell smoke from a camera remove the battery and then send it in for repair.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GH4 flash fires while closed

That was kind of my thought... better safe than sorry.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GH4 flash fires while closed

Just a thought. REMOVE the battery from the camera. You never know what that smoke indicated shorting out.

Oct 10, 2014 at 02:53 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GH4 flash fires while closed

There's nothing shorted in the camera. The flash fired while it was down which melted a little of the plastic or paint or whatever it is inside the flash housing resulting in the smell. It's not going to burst into flame.

Oct 10, 2014 at 02:55 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GH4 flash fires while closed

not 30 minutes ago I was looking at this body for the first time beyond a cursory glance. The exact same thing happens to the body. The first time it's fired I thought someone else flash, then it happened again. Something is definitely wrong with that.

Oct 10, 2014 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.