FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · South Tufa Night (+2)

kylebarendrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · South Tufa Night (+2)

I captured this a couple of weeks ago on the way to Bishop. The clouds parted just enough to get a few shots with the Milky Way. This is a 3 exposure blend for lighting and depth of field. Any thoughts are welcome!

South Tufa Night

Edited on Oct 11, 2014 at 06:46 PM · View previous versions

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · South Tufa Night (+2)

Hey Kyle,

Pretty good work here. I think the tufa's could be just a little less bright, but nice overall capture. The stars look good and you got the WB looking pretty good with that. Lately that has been an issue for some of the people here.

Jim

Oct 11, 2014 at 03:08 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · South Tufa Night (+2)

Nice to have a break in the clouds at night. Great sky.
The foreground is very sharp with good contrast. If there is one thing more subjective than a milky way shot, it's the light painted foreground that goes with it. I have zero skill with this. I think this one is good. Only things to consider based on other images I have seen it setting up multiple light sources to remove heavy shadows and maybe adjusting the color balance via the light or in post. Still good for me.

David

Oct 11, 2014 at 03:55 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · South Tufa Night (+2)

nice blended exposure

Oct 11, 2014 at 06:34 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · South Tufa Night (+2)

JimFox wrote:
Hey Kyle,

Pretty good work here. I think the tufa's could be just a little less bright, but nice overall capture. The stars look good and you got the WB looking pretty good with that. Lately that has been an issue for some of the people here.

Jim

Thanks Jim - I do tend to like my light-painted foregrounds brighter than some around here. To me that is some of the fun of shooting at night and I'm not really trying for realistic . That said, you may be right that this is too bright. I'm attaching a darker version to say how it flies.

dgdg wrote:
Nice to have a break in the clouds at night. Great sky.
The foreground is very sharp with good contrast. If there is one thing more subjective than a milky way shot, it's the light painted foreground that goes with it. I have zero skill with this. I think this one is good. Only things to consider based on other images I have seen it setting up multiple light sources to remove heavy shadows and maybe adjusting the color balance via the light or in post. Still good for me.

David

Thanks David. I agree that night shots are very subjective. I have frames with light painting from multiple angles. I generally like to have my main light come from the side to bring out textures and then fill it from the other side or back. Adding colors is easy enough to do in post. Fantasy version attached!

Tufa Night with Darker Foreground

Tufa Night Fanatasy

Oct 11, 2014 at 06:46 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · South Tufa Night (+2)

Definitely like the Tufa Night with Darker Foreground! Love the out of this world sci-fi feel to it.
Dave

Oct 11, 2014 at 08:29 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · South Tufa Night (+2)

I do like the tufa with the darker foreground. Very nice. Again, that's based on my tastes.

Now, lets talk about that Canon 24mm f/1.4 II....... Is your exif right? It's reviewed as a coma monster on full frame but your corners look ok.

David

Oct 11, 2014 at 08:41 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · South Tufa Night (+2)

Retake for me. Nice work!

Oct 11, 2014 at 08:50 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · South Tufa Night (+2)

dgdg wrote:
I do like the tufa with the darker foreground. Very nice. Again, that's based on my tastes.

Now, lets talk about that Canon 24mm f/1.4 II....... Is your exif right? It's reviewed as a coma monster on full frame but your corners look ok.

David

Thanks - I'm liking it better too. I rented the 24 f/1.4 for the trip (the benefit of working 10 minutes from Borrowlenses). This is the only time I've used it and I'm happy with the results. There's definitely some coma but it was a worthy trade-off for me to get the extra light. I wouldn't buy the lens for astro work, but I may rent it a few more times. Here's a 100% crop of the top right corner. The exif is for the sky exposure. I shot the foreground and light painting at f/8.

Top Right Corner 100% crop

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:34 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · South Tufa Night (+2)

Better than I expected based on lenstip.com reviews with examples. You may want to look at the samyang 24 which is very sharp at f/2 with less coma.
David

Oct 12, 2014 at 09:00 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.