FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · all-day coverage question

swim_r
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · all-day coverage question

We designate that all day is 10am-10pm (ish) on our price sheet and our contract says that after being given the itenerary the photographer will designate what hours you can expect. Usually about 2 hours of prep until the last major event and a good variety of dancing is covered.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:23 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · all-day coverage question

ZachOly wrote:
I do all-day almost exclusively (14-16 hours)....and hate it. But that's what my market wants and that's where the money is at.

Hair at 9, ceremony at 2, reception at 7, first dance at 10, out of there around 12.

I do 12-14h but the schedule is very similar to yours. And it truly is exhausting.

I love the prep time, because it breaks the ice comfortably, I get to hang around the bridal party and get to know them, which always improves rapport and thus the photos as well. Then there's the adrenaline rush of the ceremony, followed by a quick down when dealing with the formals, followed by another high with the PJ-style shooting around the venue.

By the time dinner start, I'm usually already tired. Once the detail and macro shots are done, there's really nothing much of interest to cover until the nocturnal shots and the dancing. The dancing is where you can make everyone show their personality somewhat, I always felt an album would be incomplete without at least some dancing shots.

Those who shoot shorter blocks, why do you do it? To fit in the budget of the client? If so, how do you set expectations and make them choose what will be left out?

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:33 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · all-day coverage question

I do 8 hours, which is often enough for a little getting ready to the end or almost the end of the night. Even at 8 hours, there are weddings that would do fine with less, as I find myself bored or shooting a ton of dancing, which I actually enjoy for a little while. Ideally, I'd like to shift my time to shoot more getting ready and less reception, but either way, I don't like shooting "fluff" throughout the day.

At 12+ hours, unless the day was just action-packed somehow, I know I'd go nuts at some point... I don't need to be around for anyone's bathroom ritual in the morning or drunken antics at midnight.

Oct 14, 2014 at 01:39 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · all-day coverage question

I do go nuts around dinner time, usually. There's like a 3h downtime where very little of interest happens. Last wedding I used that time to transfer both my cards, cull from 1000 to 100, do my post, prepare a slideshow with transitions and music, and showed it to the wedding party as a surprise to the bride (groom was in on it). This was at about 9h00 right before the first dance, so roughly 3h00 after we came in from outside. Didn't have time to get bored this time, nor to eat. The SS was a big success though.

Oct 14, 2014 at 02:24 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · all-day coverage question

FrancisK7 wrote:
I love the prep time, because it breaks the ice comfortably

Half the time the first time I see the bride is when she's walking down the aisle.

Oct 14, 2014 at 07:01 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · all-day coverage question

all day = 24 hours. lesson learned!

personally we try to avoid any weddings more than 10 hours unless they contain some desirable element we don't normally experience (unique, cultural, portfolio booster, etc)... 14+ hours for a wedding is just unnecessary most of the time imo.

Oct 14, 2014 at 01:33 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.