FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

cwes
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

I have a few metal prints already but I don't want to do all metal prints. I was thinking canvas prints maybe? But I'm wondering if I shouldn't do something different to stand out. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Oct 10, 2014 at 07:36 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

big.

size is more important than type, imo.

Oct 10, 2014 at 09:24 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

joelconner wrote:
big.

size is more important than type, imo.

Yep. I don't think you need a bunch, either, maybe 6-8 depending on how you set up your booth space.

Oct 10, 2014 at 02:31 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

pick your most eye catching images. I use 20x30 canvases from cgpro prints because they are pretty cheap but look good.

Oct 10, 2014 at 02:35 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

The choice of image is far more important than the choice of medium. That said, screw canvas, screw metal - do something classy and get some proper fine art prints. Canvas, by its very nature can't support the highest resolution images because there are gaps between the fibres. Fine art prints on good paper exude class and impress (IMHO) in a way that no other medium can. Get them framed, the old school way with simple, complimentary mats and quality understated frames. That's what I'd do.

You'll stand out as you'll be the only tog not rocking the new-fangled canvases/acrylics/metal/printed-on-mouldy-fruit options.

Oct 10, 2014 at 06:26 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

tonyhart wrote:
That said, screw canvas, screw metal - do something classy and get some proper fine art prints. Canvas, by its very nature can't support the highest resolution images because there are gaps between the fibres.

Agreed, just the average bride won't notice.

Oct 10, 2014 at 06:36 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

Who wants average brides

Oct 10, 2014 at 06:44 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

tonyhart wrote:
The choice of image is far more important than the choice of medium. That said, screw canvas, screw metal - do something classy and get some proper fine art prints. Canvas, by its very nature can't support the highest resolution images because there are gaps between the fibres. Fine art prints on good paper exude class and impress (IMHO) in a way that no other medium can. Get them framed, the old school way with simple, complimentary mats and quality understated frames. That's what I'd do.

You'll stand out as you'll be the only tog not rocking the new-fangled canvases/acrylics/metal/printed-on-mouldy-fruit
...Show more

Couldn't agree more.

I went to a bridal fair recently and the metal prints were completely over done. They were being shown as wall prints, album covers and album pages. To me it just looked like a gimmick that the labs had been pushing to get eveyone on board with. Every photographer was pushing them as something outstanding but the fact was they were nothing like that because every single one of them had them.
Canvas I didn't see as much of but that's another fad thats already been and done here and largely failed. While Photographers seem to think its the ultimate in print styles, clients dont.

I also see a conflict in the use of these fad prints.
Photographers are virtually obsessed with getting the very best out of their images though equipment, lighting and processing but then are pushing hard to reproduce these images on mediums that destroy so much of the qualities they have worked so hard to produce in the first place? From the metals I have seen they are hardly representative of good colour balance and depth, contrast or a lot of other print standards.

If metal is the flavour of the month in the US as it is here, standing out will be achieved by NOT showing any and sticking to high quality traditional prints.
When I get asked about these fad things I simply say " Quality and elegance never goes out of style. Is that going to look as dated as bell bottomed jeans in 10 years time or would a nice, simple and classy regular print still be fashionable and something you'd be proud to display?"
Guess which one they go for every thime?

And you also need to remember you are in business. You do need to stand out and you do need to be able to sell your product and look for the niche. By not Doing metal and canvas and putting things on a business rather than a personal footing, you can stand out and be different by doing nothing different at all. I could sell myself and build a whole lot more rapport with a walk up enquiry by NOT having any canvas or metal prints that if I did have them and try to push them over everyone else.
By having them displayed I loose any advantage of being different. By not having them I have something to go on.

This is merely a display. If people want metal prints after they have booked you and that's what they want to spend their money on and the best earner for you, obviously you are going to give them what they want.

I have usualy found these Gimmicky things are good for making money for whoever produces them but the most PROFIT for me is in the good old straight forward things,

I want to make money for me not anyone else.

Oct 10, 2014 at 08:58 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

I use 16x24 and 20x30, 8 total.

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:23 PM
cwes
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

What kind of fine art paper would you guys recommend? I see ProDPI has Water color, Bamboo and Smooth.

Oct 21, 2014 at 06:47 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

I use the metal prints because they're easy to handle and light to hang not because they're a fad.

Oct 21, 2014 at 06:52 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

Agree with Tony. Framed matted prints are a fine art piece. Go to a frame shop and match the perfect matte, makes such a difference.

My home is full of my work and its all matted.

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:11 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Please help recommend prints for bridal expo

I'd recommend Hahnemhule Fine Art Photorag 308, but there are loads of quality options out there tbh!

Oct 22, 2014 at 01:01 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.