Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

I go to a lot of concerts and love taking pictures at the show. Many times I take my Olympus OMD which does a great job but some venues won't let me take a bigger camera in so I have a few pocket cameras that come along when the Olympus stays home. I have used the Canon G15 and Canon S100 and a Panasonic but am not entirely happy with the results. The Canon S100 seems to be doing a better job than the G15. I am looking for a pocket camera that does very well in low light (as not all concert venues have bright lights on the stage), and has low noise at ISO 800 - 3200. If the stage is not well lit I find my ISO is set usually around 1600. I have been looking some at the Sony RX 100 II but was wondering if my ultimate concert pocket camera exists. Any suggestions?

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:19 AM
musingclouds
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

Fuji X100T/S?

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:24 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

Probably going to take more information for suggestions.

Such as: Can you live with one focal length? How far from stage/what focal length(s) gets you where you need to be for the images you want to produce?

The X100T might be a great choice... if a 35mm equivalent FL works for you, and if the camera is small enough for you to bring in. On the other hand... you'd probably want to be pretty close to the action, and pretty free to move around if you want interesting shots.

Oct 10, 2014 at 02:40 AM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

justruss wrote:
Probably going to take more information for suggestions.

Such as: Can you live with one focal length? How far from stage/what focal length(s) gets you where you need to be for the images you want to produce?

The X100T might be a great choice... if a 35mm equivalent FL works for you, and if the camera is small enough for you to bring in. On the other hand... you'd probably want to be pretty close to the action, and pretty free to move around if you want interesting shots.

I am looking for a zoom and at many of the shows we are usually sitting in the first 6 rows and there is no way to move around.

Oct 10, 2014 at 06:34 AM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

Sony RX100?
Great camera and the latest version has a pretty bright lens though it tops out at 70mm fl

GM1 or GM5?
With the new 40-150 compact, this could give you some range to get you pretty close to the action, particularly from 6 rows. Compatible with your OMD as well.

I went to a Twins game with a Nikon V2 and 55-200 lens one time. You aren't allowed to bring in cameras with large telephoto lenses, but the V2 & 55-200 looked for all the world like an oversized P&S and the guard just laughed and let me in. I got to sit at row 16 with a 540 (equiv) lens with a camera with pretty good high speed capture. It was bright sunlight though and I never liked those files much beyond ISO 800

Oct 10, 2014 at 09:08 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

My vote would be a GM1 in one pocket maybe with a Panny 14 f/2.5 on it, which will certainly pass as a small camera and a Panny 35-100 f/2.8 in the other pocket (would definitely fit in a coat pocket or wear cargo pants. I think the GM1 plus the Panny 35-100 would give you great pictures from that close and the 14 would be great for captures of the whole stage and with the faster aperture you should be able to keep the ISO down. I think you would also very much appreciate the Panny 35-100 for your OM-D.

Oct 10, 2014 at 09:41 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

For concerts, I like my NEX-5R with a fast 35-50mm prime and 1-2 other primes stuffed into my pocket. Depending on the venue, I might have a tele like the Contax G 90/2.8 or Canon FDn 100/2.8 and/or a wide like my Sony 16/2.8. My NEX (sans EVF) will fit into my back pocket without problems, so when I go through the door I just leave it there.

I don't usually bother with the Sony 16/2.8 unless it's a small venue and I want a picture of the whole band. Then again, it's small and light enough that it often comes with just in case.

I'm not sure how the OMD looks too big to security where you're going or if you could fit into your pocket, but you could go for the same approach. Though, the OMD's faux pentaprism might signal DSLR to door security, I'm not sure.

If you truly want a compact, maybe the LX100, RX100m3, G1Xm2, or G7X?

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

GM1 (or the new GM5)

Walk in with one of the pancakes mounted (14, 15, 20, or 12-32)

Keep the Olympus 45/1.8 in your pocket.

That's a killer setup. Sneak a 75/1.8 in also and you're really golden.

Oct 10, 2014 at 09:07 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

Thanks all. I am heading to see Earth Wind & Fire tomorrow night and will see if I can get the Olympus in and am bringing along my Panasonic 25mm which is a sharp lens. Will have to check up on the Olympus 45mm to see if that might work when siting a little farther back. Fortunately tomorrow we are in row 2.

Oct 10, 2014 at 09:21 PM
dovey
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

I am taking the Sony A7s to shows these days. The body fits in one pocket and the lens in another.
Unbelievable in low light for stills.
Depending on where you are in the venue, take the suitable lens, a small OM or Nokten or two.
Yes your ideal pocketable concert camera exists.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

Here's some RX100 photos of Widespread Panic at Red Rocks from the summer of 2013.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:20 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

Just got back from the Earth, Wind & Fire concert and took my Olympus OMD & Panasonic 25mm 1.4. Great combo but could have used a little more reach. Also just found a Sony Rx100 II refurb on ebay for $399 so I am anxious to see how that works. Thanks again for the input.

Oct 12, 2014 at 08:45 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

JColwell

Why is there a grid pattern on your first picture. It looks like it was taken through a screen door or something.

Oct 13, 2014 at 08:34 AM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

DaveOls wrote:
JColwell

Why is there a grid pattern on your first picture. It looks like it was taken through a screen door or something.

I'm guessing it is a screen (video feed) projection of the concert.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

DaveOls wrote:
JColwell

glassartist wrote:
I'm guessing it is a screen (video feed) projection of the concert.

Yes. It is.

Oct 13, 2014 at 02:50 PM
Karel Geertsem
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

No reviews available as of yet, but the Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) or Panasonic LX100 (on which the Leica is based) might be what you are looking for. Micro 4/3 sensor with "only" 12 Megapixels, max ISO 25.600 and 1.7-2.8 24-75mm equivalent zoom should do the trick.

You just have to wait a while

Edit: there is a review: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_lx100_review/conclusion/

Oct 15, 2014 at 07:04 AM
Karel Geertsem
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Does My Ultimate Low Light Concert Pocket Camera Exist?

Karel Geertsem wrote:
No reviews available as of yet, but the Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) or Panasonic LX100 (on which the Leica is based) might be what you are looking for. Micro 4/3 sensor with "only" 12 Megapixels, max ISO 25.600 and 1.7-2.8 24-75mm equivalent zoom should do the trick.

You just have to wait a while

Edit: there is a review: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_lx100_review/conclusion/

Well, uhhhm, ahem.... Forget what I just said.

As I was interested in the camera myself, I looked at several review/previews and especially samples. I just can't believe how mediocre a 900 Euro camera like this is compared to my "classic" Fuji X100.

If you need the zoom, just go for it. Or one of the Sony's RX100<something>. I also played with that one myself and found it a very expensive P&S, good in good light but ...

If you don't need the zoom, get yourself a Fuji X100<something>. Or maybe a small Fuji or NEX in one pocket and a zoom lens in another pocket.

Oct 20, 2014 at 01:37 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.