Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 24L mk 1 on new sensors? How hold it hold up?

Loren E
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 24L mk 1 on new sensors? How hold it hold up?

Anyone shooting a Canon 24L F1.4 on a new high PM sensor like a 5dmkIII or 6d? I am curious how it resolves detail wide open at F1.4 towards the center. The reviews of this lens are old and done on lower MP sensors. I am sure edges will struggle but for environmental portraits and the likes, will F1.4 produce decent results and allow a bit of cropping on our current sensors? Thanks for any info!

Oct 09, 2014 at 01:32 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 24L mk 1 on new sensors? How hold it hold up?

Well, opinions may differ, but I was very disappointed with my mk1 on the 5D2. Main problem was chromatic aberration, and I wasn't happy with my copy even at f8. I gritted my teeth and stumped up the extra cash and part exchanged for the mk2. Worth every penny as the CA problem went away and overall sharpness radically improved, a far better lens worthy of higher res sensors.

Personally I feel the old mk1 was fine for film, but not up to 20+ mpx sensors IMHO.

Oct 09, 2014 at 04:05 PM
Loren E
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 24L mk 1 on new sensors? How hold it hold up?

darn! well thanks for the info David. I wonder how much copy variation there is, though I know that is probably wishful thinking.

Oct 09, 2014 at 07:35 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 24L mk 1 on new sensors? How hold it hold up?

Recently bought a nice copy for environmental portraits (I shoot cosplay).

This is a 100% unedited crop from a 5D3... it is sharp! I had to calibrate to get this result though. Using DotTune a couple of times it settled on -10. I'm sure the 24L II is even sharper but this is good enough to justify the price difference for me; and when I post-process I sharpen even more anyways. What's most important to me is being able to achieve a thin depth of field with the 24L that no other lens can do. I love shooting wide open at 1.4 all the time like I do on my Sigma 35A. I know the center is sharp; so I used the outer focus point on the 5D3's corners to test since I often use the corner focus points when shooting. These are screencaps I used ShareX to take on my monitor so I apologize for the quality loss.

100% crop:
http://i.imgur.com/DY1eCSH.png

Whole image for reference:
http://i.imgur.com/R5WSuTl.jpg

Oct 12, 2014 at 03:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.