FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Mammoth Bulls

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mammoth Bulls

We received news today that there are 12 mature bulls working the Mammoth Springs area. Between the twelve they have attacked 91 cars, damaging 16.
7 people have been attacked but medical attention has not been required. These are magnificent animals, but they are "Wild" animals. I do not understand what makes people believe they are docile, timid creatures?? Get between a man & his woman and you could get the horn...

Oct 09, 2014 at 07:25 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mammoth Bulls

Nice colour and pose. Good capture.

Oct 09, 2014 at 07:26 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mammoth Bulls

A very nice scene Jim. I am amazed at times at how close people will get to wild animals that could hurt them ~ Ron

Oct 09, 2014 at 08:52 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mammoth Bulls

Looks like he wants a hug.

Oct 09, 2014 at 10:17 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mammoth Bulls

That's crazy that so many cars have been attacked....the hormones must be raging out of control...lucky for those people it wasn't an elephant in musth....
Eric

Oct 09, 2014 at 11:56 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mammoth Bulls

Beautiful colors and composition. In my single trip to Yellowstone it was incredible how stupidly people acted around wildlife, including the elk, but mostly the bison.
---John

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:40 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mammoth Bulls

KCollett wrote:
Nice colour and pose. Good capture.

Thanks ken...

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:42 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mammoth Bulls

surfnron wrote:
A very nice scene Jim. I am amazed at times at how close people will get to wild animals that could hurt them ~ Ron

Thank you Ron. I have been at Yellowstone the entire rut and have witnessed the bulls becoming progressively more aggressive. I also have watched the tourist get stupider. Jim

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:46 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mammoth Bulls

ckcarr wrote:
Looks like he wants a hug.

Shortly after this shot he almost hugged a trout fisherman that did not move quick enough to suit him. These big boys move a lot quicker than they appear possible.

Edited on Oct 09, 2014 at 12:52 PM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:50 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mammoth Bulls

eyelaser wrote:
That's crazy that so many cars have been attacked....the hormones must be raging out of control...lucky for those people it wasn't an elephant in musth....
Eric

You are correct on all counts Eric...

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:51 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mammoth Bulls

jdc562 wrote:
Beautiful colors and composition. In my single trip to Yellowstone it was incredible how stupidly people acted around wildlife, including the elk, but mostly the bison.
---John

You are right John. People treat the bison like pets, but these pets can kill you. Jim

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:54 PM
CaddisCO
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mammoth Bulls

Nice colors and composition.

Yes, it is amazing how people seem to think that it's OK to try to get very close to wild animals. I told one young woman who tried to walk right up to some mountain goats that it was a very bad idea. She said "But, I'm not even touching them!". Sheesh...

Oct 09, 2014 at 02:29 PM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mammoth Bulls

Hi Jim,

Love the shot are you still in Yellowstone

Oct 09, 2014 at 03:57 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mammoth Bulls

lovely colors and pose

Oct 09, 2014 at 04:23 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mammoth Bulls

drobertfranz wrote:
Hi Jim,

Love the shot are you still in Yellowstone

Thank you Dale. We are still in Yellowstone, until Monday. Wish we had been able to get together. Jim

Oct 09, 2014 at 09:24 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mammoth Bulls

CaddisCO wrote:
Nice colors and composition.

Yes, it is amazing how people seem to think that it's OK to try to get very close to wild animals. I told one young woman who tried to walk right up to some mountain goats that it was a very bad idea. She said "But, I'm not even touching them!". Sheesh...

Thank you Kevin... You do not have to touch a rattle snake to know they are dangerous, but a 300 lb. mountain goat, what damage could it do... DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... Jim

Oct 09, 2014 at 09:29 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mammoth Bulls

Having grown up working and living in high country elk regions, I've certainly seen the bulls get feisty, jumpy, and aggressive (particularly when the cows are in rut). I've never seen one actually go after a human, but then no one I knew was dumb enough to get close to one unless they were armed and hunting for meat. Now my small experience with moose in Alaska suggests that they'll go out of their way to challenge and chase humans. Talk about scary beasts. My guess is that the elk in the Park have been habituated to humans and no longer act as they would in the wild. This always causes problems like back bears that decide your garbage can is part of their regular foraging domain. Like others, I can't even imagine getting out of the truck to "pet" a wild animal. I guess city people really have lost contact with this reality called earth.

Robert

Oct 09, 2014 at 10:50 PM
sibirdie
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mammoth Bulls

Nice picture that appears to be taken at a safe distance away from the animal respecting his space.

Oct 10, 2014 at 05:21 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mammoth Bulls

OntheRez wrote:
Having grown up working and living in high country elk regions, I've certainly seen the bulls get feisty, jumpy, and aggressive (particularly when the cows are in rut). I've never seen one actually go after a human, but then no one I knew was dumb enough to get close to one unless they were armed and hunting for meat. Now my small experience with moose in Alaska suggests that they'll go out of their way to challenge and chase humans. Talk about scary beasts. My guess is that the elk in the Park have been habituated to humans and no
...Show more

You are 100% accurate Robert... Thank you.

Oct 10, 2014 at 06:34 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mammoth Bulls

Beautiful scene and nice capture
thanks for adding the backstory and word to the wise (and the less so)
Scott

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.