Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

Hotspur
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

The previous Sigma 50 f/1.4 has been my go-to lens for low-light, indoors shots when I don't want to keep popping a flash in people's eyes. However, it struggles with AF in those situations.

Has anyone compared the low-light AF capabilities of the new Art version? I've read the FM reviews, and several people say the Art's AF sucks. Of course, there are people who gripe about AF on nearly every lens I've read about.

Anyway, just looking for some real-world experience.

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:33 AM
GoGo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

Had mine for about a month, testing it against the 24/70II it is it's equal and is very capable of focusing very accurately right out of the box (no adjustment).

Very contrasty with pleasing color and bokeh. So far so good.

Oct 09, 2014 at 08:29 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

and several people say the Art's AF sucks.
...and several of us say "operator error"
Early adopter, sunset wedding/reception over 1200 shots
and I missed 6. Over 1/2 were north of ISO3200 on D800.
Fast and accurate, is how I'd describe it. It's a money maker.
(Mine hasn't even seen the dock, yet)

Oct 09, 2014 at 08:44 AM
Hotspur
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

Thanks Gogo and Trenchmonkey. Just the kind of real-world experience I was looking for.

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:01 PM
petr vokurek
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

I bought one of these as soon as they were available and took it on two weddings right after I tested it in the shop and at home. All seemed to work fine. I will say it is a very sharp lens and has the most amazing build quality of all 50 mm lenses I have used. But...mine was a very unreliable focuser. The thing is that it wasnīt front or back focusing but rather was unpredictable. If I took several shots without moving and using the same AF spot and all, some shots would be in focus, others would not. When I returned it and demonstarted the problem the people in the shop had to admit there was a problem with AF. It wasnīt catastrofical but at f1,4 precise AF is paramount. So, instead I bought the new 24-70 f2,8 and couldnīt be happier. For me reliability is everything. Donīt want to discourage you, though. Maybe, I had a bad copy...

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:30 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

My copy (very early copy) has a consistent focus error. Micro adjustment did the trick (so I didn't need a USB dock). Works like a charm.

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:44 PM
BbICEP

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

Hotspur wrote:
The previous Sigma 50 f/1.4 has been my go-to lens for low-light, indoors shots when I don't want to keep popping a flash in people's eyes. However, it struggles with AF in those situations.

Has anyone compared the low-light AF capabilities of the new Art version? I've read the FM reviews, and several people say the Art's AF sucks. Of course, there are people who gripe about AF on nearly every lens I've read about.

Anyway, just looking for some real-world experience.

Looking for public acceptance of your decision to buy it? Well, it is good lens I must say

Oct 09, 2014 at 12:51 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

Good old Sigma quality control: 4 owners, 3 different experiences. Try one, if it doesn't deliver, send it back.

Oct 09, 2014 at 02:04 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

carstenw wrote:
Good old Sigma quality control: 4 owners, 3 different experiences. Try one, if it doesn't deliver, send it back.

And different bodies, different testing conditions, different priorities...

Oct 09, 2014 at 02:07 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

U.C. wrote:
My copy (very early copy) has a consistent focus error. Micro adjustment did the trick (so I didn't need a USB dock). Works like a charm.

Yeah, but that's on the BODY, not the lens. FWIW, all my Nikon Superteles need a tweak...no biggie.
I'll add to John's "different" list...different skill levels/different body settings Just sayin'

Oct 09, 2014 at 03:10 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 50 Art lens: Focussing?

Just bought one a week ago and so far the lens is sharp, contrasty and AF is fine. On older bodies like my Canon 1Ds iii, some focus inconsistencies but given the DOF is razor thin at f1.4. I'll say it's likely operator error.....me. Bokeh is a little choppy and not the same as the Canon 50L.

Works great on the 5d III and 1Dx. I'd get the USB dock as well.

Oct 09, 2014 at 03:59 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.