Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Calibrate all my lenses or go for a new 1D X?

memoria
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calibrate all my lenses or go for a new 1D X?

OK, so I've been switching cameras back and forth for many many years. I've been with Canon and will stay with Canon. I've worked with the 5D, 5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, 6D, 1D mark IV and 1Ds Mark III. My current setup is 1Ds3 (two bodies), a 1D IV and a 6D as backup / lighter alternative.

Anyway...about a year ago I was working with 5D Mark 3 and made a somewhat unusual "downgrade" and got myself a couple of 1Ds3's instead. So far, I've been extremely satisfied with the simply AMAZING files coming out from these cameras. To this day, I haven't found any other model with such lovely character.

Now, however I am starting to notice something... AF calibration issues. All my lenses are somewhat soft and simply won't nail critical focus anymore (they were orignally calibrated against my 5D3 bodies so I guess it makes sense). I thought it wouldn't be that much of an issue thanks to the built-in microfocus adjustment, but for zooms it is unrealiable (for obvious reasons). And it doesn't seem to work for all distances.

So I'm in a position where I will need Canon to professionally calibrate all my lenses against (at least) my two 1Ds3 bodies. Problem is, I have (and regulary use) at least 6 lenses and it will cost at least 150 dollars per lens/body combination. I figured If I want all lenses properly calibrated it will set me back around $2000 (no joke).

My 6D is actually still just a couple of months old so I could calibrate that one for free with all my lenses. So I recently started to think about a new camera by using the calibration fund. What if I sold my 1Ds3 bodies, the 1D IV body and went for a brand new 1D-X?

I would then end up with one 1D-X as main and 6D as backup. And all my lenses would be properly calibrated for free. Does this make sense?

Oct 08, 2014 at 06:11 AM
billsnature
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calibrate all my lenses or go for a new 1D X?

Buy Reiken FoCal software for ~$125. You print the target, attach it to a wall that is well lit with appropriate light source, and it will run an AF fine tune routine for each lens/body combination. It is fully automated on 1DsIII and 1D IV, but interactive on 5D III and 1Dx.

That program does a great job, and you can do your whole kit in 3-4 hours.

I am super pleased with that software.

Bill

Oct 08, 2014 at 06:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Calibrate all my lenses or go for a new 1D X?

I perform AFMA tests to 'calibrate' every new body, for all of my EF lenses and extender combinations that work on that camera. I use a LensAlign II target with LiveView AF through EOS Utility on my computer notebook. I can do my whole kit (30 to 35 discrete tests for one camera) in three or four hours.

Many people on FM are very happy using snapsy's Dot-Tune method,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247

Oct 08, 2014 at 06:47 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Calibrate all my lenses or go for a new 1D X?

Instead of having Canon calibrating the lenses, send them the bodies and have the AF module checked. I had mine replaced and the camera was then extremely accurate (primary shooting method: One Shot and center AF point) and I could proceed to AFMA my lenses with confidence. Just box the bodies and send them in with a full explanation of your focus softness or inconsistency in dialing in lenses.

Things can go out of calibration or need repair, it's a fact of life.

The 1DX takes some really nice pictures, and has a lot more range of features, especially high ISO. But for low ISO imaging, my experience is the 1Ds3 is a little better, plus it has that tiny bit more resolution I crave. I would stay with your current set-up for now, awaiting a new higher MP and DR camera from Canon.

Oct 08, 2014 at 09:50 AM
memoria
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Calibrate all my lenses or go for a new 1D X?

Thanks guys for feeback

I've microadjusted with the dot-tune method and I actually have a Reikan licence (forgot about that!) so I will give it a go and see how that works out. The problem though, with MA adjustments is that it is not always accurate. I know Canon is using different distances, different aperture settings and angles. Furthermore, zooms are even more complicated. But I might get a "best position" result

As for the AF module being replaced. One body has actually been checked by Canon earlier this year and the mirrorbox was replaced at no charge. So I probably need to tweak the AF microadjustment at bit more. My 135L needed +15 to be OK on that body but is still nervous and can miss sometimes. It's one of my most used lenses and used to be very dead-on

I have to say though....I'm a bit surprised no one has said "Dump 'em - go for the ID X!!!" ;-) But I agree... the 1Ds3 on daylight:ish ISO is unbeatable.

Oct 08, 2014 at 10:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Calibrate all my lenses or go for a new 1D X?

I would only recommend selling the 1DsIII for a 1DX if you need the high fps in a FF body. I actually did that, because I wanted a high fps FF camera to use alongside my 1DIV. In fact, I was waiting for something like that to show up when the 1DX appeared, and so I was in the first wave.

I generally use pairs of cameras for most of what I do; 1DX + 1DIV, and two 6D do most of my work. I also have a SL1, X-E2 and X100s for situations where light weight is important. The 6D and 1DX (and 5DIII) let you set AFMA values at the wide and long ends of a zoom, but I never had any particular problems with my earlier cameras, where I set AFMA values at the long end (where the DOF is most shallow).

Oct 08, 2014 at 11:03 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Calibrate all my lenses or go for a new 1D X?

memoria wrote:
I have to say though....I'm a bit surprised no one has said "Dump 'em - go for the ID X!!!" ;-) But I agree... the 1Ds3 on daylight:ish ISO is unbeatable.

There is no use dumping the cameras until you determine the issue. Canon will calibrate your lenses against their reference 1D MK III, and will calibrate the body separately. They might make minor tweaks, or first calibrate the body, and then adjust the lens to match a accurate body. They don't just calibrate lenses to a body because a body issue could cause your lenses to be way off on another body. Both should be adjusted independently.

You might consider renting a D1X to see if its a lens or body issue.

Oct 09, 2014 at 10:16 PM
memoria
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Calibrate all my lenses or go for a new 1D X?

scalesusa wrote:
There is no use dumping the cameras until you determine the issue. Canon will calibrate your lenses against their reference 1D MK III, and will calibrate the body separately. They might make minor tweaks, or first calibrate the body, and then adjust the lens to match a accurate body. They don't just calibrate lenses to a body because a body issue could cause your lenses to be way off on another body. Both should be adjusted independently.

You might consider renting a D1X to see if its a lens or body issue.

Really? When I send my equipment to Canon they always calibrate the lens/body combination - i.e my bodies AND lenses. Also, that's what they are recommending for consistent results. Never heard of a reference body unless you ONLYsend your lenses? For the body they use sophisticated methods of measuring the AF points - they don't need a lens for that. This is to make sure the body is neutral. Then lenses should be calibrated against the body. At least that's what I've been told and it kind of makes sense to send it all together.

Oct 10, 2014 at 03:13 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Calibrate all my lenses or go for a new 1D X?

Unfortunately I don't remember but I think your III's do not allow for two AFMA's (wide & long) on zooms. If correct then that becomes a limiting factor. Regarding the MA process you used, did you do it at the recommend distance of 50 x MM? Each and every combo I've done at the recommend distance has proven to be very accurate (2- 1DX's & 5DIII using Dot-Tune).

Hard to recommend switching bodies given no info on type of shooting although I can see where the dilemma comes in, for example, if heavy landscape work is involved. With the rumors starting to surface regarding the next generation X, my inclination would be to retry dialing-in the MA on the III's and hopefully wait out the announcement.

Another variable to muck up the decision making: once a next gen X is announced the going prices for used III's most likely will drop as others will be wanting to off load their III's as well.

Oct 10, 2014 at 08:14 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.