New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · optical drive for new Macbook Pro

khurram1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · optical drive for new Macbook Pro

I upgraded to the new Macbook Pro retina display that don't have an optical drive. I don't use a drive much anymore, but still want to be able to burn photos on a disc at times and also need to install some of my existing software.

I was originally looking at trying to find an external blu-ray writer/player, but can't seem to find one that is compatible with Max OSx 9.x. I have read that you can get other software to use blu-ray players, but am not very computer savvy and have read difficulties others have experienced.

I was going to just by the Mac Superdrive, but it has gotten a lot of negative reviews on the apple canada site, so i wanted to get some advice on other options for an external optical drive for the new macbook pro's. I did read that the Apple Superdrive is the only one that will allow discs to be played using Apple's dvd player, so i also wanted to get advice on a good reliable external drive that is compact, as well as on how to also be able to play dvd's if the apple dvd player is only supposed to work with the Apple superdrive.

If someone does have advice on a good portable blu-ray writer/driver and software that it can be used with reliably (and isn't to complicated to setup), i'd also appreciate on advice on that option.

Oct 07, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · optical drive for new Macbook Pro

I've had great experience with the Pioneer burners (they used to be the standard super drives in the old G5 towers). This seems like a good external solution:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Electronics-External-Blu-Ray-14700365BDR-XD05/dp/B00FDQQIJS

You'll probably want to invest in a copy of Toast Titanium as well for burning:
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/

Oct 09, 2014 at 09:49 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · optical drive for new Macbook Pro

Lovesong wrote:
I've had great experience with the Pioneer burners (they used to be the standard super drives in the old G5 towers). This seems like a good external solution:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Electronics-External-Blu-Ray-14700365BDR-XD05/dp/B00FDQQIJS

You'll probably want to invest in a copy of Toast Titanium as well for burning:
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/

thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into Toast. Will this also play Blu-Ray movies

I've been looking into Mac Blu Ray player, but as an option (they also recommend Pioneer drives), however, I am a bit hesitant, as it looks like you need to have internet connection to play discs using their player - which i'm trying to better understand the reason for needing an internet connection.

Oct 09, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · optical drive for new Macbook Pro

I have a cheap blura player / Dvd burner . works fine for what I do .

to play bluray you need to get some form of Player software as apple dont support bluray (but then neither does the win8 machine I just bought my daughter)

i rip my stuff to itunes rather than play thru a different player (although I tend to buy/rent from itunes or use other digital options most of the time )

Oct 10, 2014 at 01:51 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · optical drive for new Macbook Pro

Check out the drive and software options at OWC (www.macsales.com). They'll help with any pre-sales queries you might have.

Oct 18, 2014 at 03:29 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.