FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Fall Colour Explosion

KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fall Colour Explosion

Hello Fellow FMers!

Here are a few images taken this past weekend. In Alberta we don't get the brilliant red fall colours like what is common in the eastern hardwood forests. But we do get lots of yellow, predominantly from poplar. The last two images are examples of just playing around. All shots were hand held with my 5D using a variety of lenses - 100, 70 - 200, & 24 - 105. Minimal tampering was done in PS5 - mostly levels, a bit of vibrance, and basic sharpening.

1. Backlit Poplar #1 - The sun was setting behind this hill, but was still high enough to brilliantly light up the grove of poplars.
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/kccollett/3F5A0204BigKnifePoplars2_zps6fa5b790.jpg
2. Backlit Poplar #2 - This copse of trees was also benefiting from the low sun. Looked beautiful, and I hope enough of the beauty has been captured in this photo.
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/kccollett/3F5A0265BigKnifePoplars_zps058a4d17.jpg
3. Poplar Pattern - This shot is all about the pattern and texture created by the bands of foliage. For some reason, I find densely packed poplar stems to be photogenic.
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/kccollett/3F5A0251BigKnifePoplars_zps663ec5e5.jpg
4. Poplar Stems - Will this be panned by the critics? This image was created by doing a vertical pan during a long exposure.
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/kccollett/3F5A9828PoplarPan_zpsf6903e67.jpg
5. Yellow Explosion - This was created by zooming on a compact cluster of short poplars on the top of a hill covered in brown grasses.
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/kccollett/3F5A0146PoplarZoom_zps64d3a855.jpg
Please let me know how you would process these differently in order to best present the subject.

Cheers!

Ken

Oct 07, 2014 at 08:51 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fall Colour Explosion

Very nicely done Ken. The first two work well for me. 4 also works well for me, but 5 is not for my tastes. That doesn't mean it's bad, but just not for me ~ Ron

Oct 07, 2014 at 10:00 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fall Colour Explosion

These are lovely ! We don't get any fall colors I do like 4 quite a bit. 5 is fun , wish it had the "explosion of the yellow spikes in the right corner too .

Birdie

Oct 07, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fall Colour Explosion

Nice work Ken. While the colors there are not the same as the eastern hardwoods they certainly are just as beautiful. I'm always stymied as to how to best bring out fall colors without over processing. I suppose my suggestion is to shoot them with a polarizer, minding the angle of light. For me that usually brings out the best out of the camera. on the experimentation and posting for comments, good on you. I do like the zoom shot but more in a fun way

Tim

Oct 08, 2014 at 07:41 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fall Colour Explosion

Fine shots Ken. I love the last one
David

Oct 08, 2014 at 01:38 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fall Colour Explosion

Really like #5, it stood out for me. (all nice though)

Oct 08, 2014 at 01:40 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fall Colour Explosion

nice lookin set Ken

Oct 08, 2014 at 04:49 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fall Colour Explosion

very nice set, Ken, liked the last 2

Oct 08, 2014 at 10:22 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fall Colour Explosion

Hi, Ken. Was up your way late last month, and the yellows were spectacular. They provided such a wonderful accent to many beautiful scenes. AB is such a wonderland of beauty. Nice work on these.

Ed

Oct 09, 2014 at 07:31 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fall Colour Explosion

surfnron wrote:
Very nicely done Ken. The first two work well for me. 4 also works well for me, but 5 is not for my tastes. That doesn't mean it's bad, but just not for me ~ Ron

What!? You don't like exploding balls of colour? When I look at this a few years from now, I'll say, "That's cheesy!" I've not done that sort of thing before, so I was just playing around. I prefer a nicely done vertical pan. I've some some nice examples of that. Thanks for viewing and being honest.
---------------------------------------------

birdied wrote:
These are lovely ! We don't get any fall colors I do like 4 quite a bit. 5 is fun , wish it had the "explosion of the yellow spikes in the right corner too .

Birdie

Thanks for the nice words Birdie. If I had a tripod, That would be easier to do. I don't even look through the viewfinder when I did this (and others). Glad you enjoyed the bit of colour.

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Nice work Ken. While the colors there are not the same as the eastern hardwoods they certainly are just as beautiful. I'm always stymied as to how to best bring out fall colors without over processing. I suppose my suggestion is to shoot them with a polarizer, minding the angle of light. For me that usually brings out the best out of the camera. on the experimentation and posting for comments, good on you. I do like the zoom shot but more in a fun way

Tim

Yah, I should have brought my polarizer and tried to get a bit of intensity in the colour. I was travelling light so didn't bring my bag. Thanks for the supportive comments Tim.

David Leask wrote:
Fine shots Ken. I love the last one
David

Thanks kindly David. Appreciated.

Oct 09, 2014 at 08:58 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fall Colour Explosion

Thanks for sharing your foliage in your area Ken
It's nice to see different areas!
Have a great evening!
BeeBalm

Oct 09, 2014 at 09:19 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fall Colour Explosion

I love the color and composition, Ken. With #5, it is very interesting aspect. If I can see a little clear texture in the center when you do the zooming, that would be perfect for my taste. Awesome work.

- Tam

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fall Colour Explosion

mikedec wrote:
Really like #5, it stood out for me. (all nice though)

Thank you Mike!

kmunroe wrote:
nice lookin set Ken

Thanks Kenny. Appreciated.

kdacharya wrote:
very nice set, Ken, liked the last 2

teked wrote:
Hi, Ken. Was up your way late last month, and the yellows were spectacular. They provided such a wonderful accent to many beautiful scenes. AB is such a wonderland of beauty. Nice work on these.

Ed

Where are the pics to prove it!? There is lots up here to enjoy in terms of critters and parks for sure. Wish there was more. Need to turn back the clock about 50 years for that. Thanks for Commenting Ed.

Oct 11, 2014 at 08:28 AM
Michael Rucci
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fall Colour Explosion

Nicly don Ken

Oct 11, 2014 at 08:38 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fall Colour Explosion

BeeBalm wrote:
Thanks for sharing your foliage in your area Ken
It's nice to see different areas!
Have a great evening!
BeeBalm

Thank you for commenting BB. Appreciated.

canon.eos30d wrote:
I love the color and composition, Ken. With #5, it is very interesting aspect. If I can see a little clear texture in the center when you do the zooming, that would be perfect for my taste. Awesome work.

- Tam

I understand what you mean about the desire to see detail. Would need a tripod for that, and possibly stacked images. Thank you for taking the time to view.

Michael Rucci wrote:
Nicly don Ken

Thank you Michael.

Oct 12, 2014 at 09:03 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fall Colour Explosion

Great set Ken. 1-4 all work well for me

Morris

Oct 12, 2014 at 09:08 AM
sibirdie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fall Colour Explosion

Indeed it is a color explosion. I like all of them.

Oct 12, 2014 at 02:41 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fall Colour Explosion

Ken, I like 4 as it looks like a watercolor painting. The more traditional first three are excellent.
Eric

Oct 12, 2014 at 03:57 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fall Colour Explosion

morris wrote:
Great set Ken. 1-4 all work well for me

Morris

sibirdie wrote:
Indeed it is a color explosion. I like all of them.

eyelaser wrote:
Ken, I like 4 as it looks like a watercolor painting. The more traditional first three are excellent.
Eric

Thanks to each of you for commenting! Very much appreciated.

Oct 14, 2014 at 07:59 AM
raymondjbarlow
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fall Colour Explosion

very cool!

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.