FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

rondphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

I posted another wedding today that was shot almost exclusively with an 85mm...and an engagement shoot that was shot exclusively with an 85mm....and thought, what the hell. I'll post another wedding shot exclusively with an 85mm. To be fair, they didn't have a reception. If they did...I'd have used something wider for a few reception shots.

Oct 07, 2014 at 03:55 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

Impressive to shoot a wedding with just a 85. Would like to do it with 35, but 85?

I feel though your set lacks versatility. But that may be just me.

heiko

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:05 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

heikoM wrote:
Impressive to shoot a wedding with just a 85. Would like to do it with 35, but 85?

I feel though your set lacks versatility. But that may be just me.

heiko

It was a small wedding. Some getting ready photos, a ceremony and portraits. I've been working on blogging less images. Last few times I was told my images were either redundant or there were too many of them.

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:15 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

Oh, I with lack of versatility I just mean the 85 kind of look, not your ability in composition, catching moments and emotion and be creative. (0:

heiko

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:20 PM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

That's an awesome set. I thought maybe heiko was kidding...at first. It seems like he's not.

I'm coming to vegas next weekend (Oct. 17-20). I wish there was a reason for us to get together; I'd love to buy you a beer and visit.

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:31 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

tele_pathic wrote:
That's an awesome set. I thought maybe heiko was kidding...at first. It seems like he's not.

I'm coming to vegas next weekend (Oct. 17-20). I wish there was a reason for us to get together; I'd love to buy you a beer and visit.

Thanks. I have a wedding that Saturday. Friday may work. Sunday too....depending on when they want to do their day after shoot. I'll PM you my cell #. You can text me.

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:43 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

You have great photos in both sets. You do. I do not see these sets as arguments for using strictly the 85. I wanted these to be that argument but I feel there's depth lost that is a mix of story, imagery and composition because you are limited to the 85mm perspective. I fear a lack of intimacy to the images by staying at that length.

Oct 07, 2014 at 10:35 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

Depth of Feel wrote:
You have great photos in both sets. You do. I do not see these sets as arguments for using strictly the 85. I wanted these to be that argument but I feel there's depth lost that is a mix of story, imagery and composition because you are limited to the 85mm perspective. I fear a lack of intimacy to the images by staying at that length.

Thanks. Wasn't really trying to make an argument for or even against it. I love prime lenses and for me, 85mm is where it's at. I'm always vocal about that. People have said all kinds of things, from it being a stupid idea to missing all kinds of moments. Been shooting that way for 4 years after going full-frame and haven't looked back. My clients love it and really, that's what matters. Just wanted to show that it is possible. Sure, I've got every other focal length covered, and you're not going to shoot a full dance floor with an 85mm but it's usable for the rest of the day.

I personally feel that shooting wider creates a lack of intimacy. Sometimes you end up with too much in the frame or I end up too close to my couples and they know I'm there.

At the end of the day, for me, it's a style thing. I like the angle of view, the depth of field and the sharpness that lens provides at wide apertures.

#differentstrokes

Edited on Oct 08, 2014 at 12:47 AM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

rondphoto wrote:
Thanks. Wasn't really trying to make an argument for or even against it. I love prime lenses and for me, 85mm is where it's at. I'm always vocal about that. People have said all kinds of things, from it being a stupid idea to missing all kinds of moments. Been shooting that way for 4 years after going full-frame and haven't looked back. My clients love it and really, that's what matters. Just wanted to show that it is possible. Sure, I've got every other focal length covered, and you're not going to shoot a full dance floor with an
...Show more

You have my respect for using the 85 only and I do think its a style choice. Again the work is good.

Oct 08, 2014 at 12:22 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

I definitely see the draw to the longer FL. I have an unhealthy relationship with my 80-200...on a crop sensor no less! Unless I am doing some serious sniping, I'm usually at the 80mm end anyway and could probably shoot 60% of a wedding with an 85mm f/1.8 on a crop sensor camera.

For me anyway, I fall in love and out of love with focal lengths. I shot over a year of personal stuff with only a 35mm f/1.8 (again, crop sensor, so 50-ish equiv). I loved it, but seldom use that lens at the moment, even though it is the "standard" FL. My 50mm f/1.8 is my newest fling and newest lens (75mm equiv.).

Oct 08, 2014 at 02:42 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · a wedding - with only 1 lens

BSPhotog wrote:
My 50mm f/1.8 is my newest fling and newest lens (75mm equiv.).

Hey, Ben.

I actually prefer working with the 50mm on crop - so 75mm equivalent - to an 85 on full frame. I find 75 useful in more situations with 85 being a hair too tight. I don't know if you've ever tried an 85 on full frame but you may see what I mean if you do.

Oct 09, 2014 at 04:56 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.