FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

jeetsukumaran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

Here:

http://qicai.fengniao.com/479/4793567_all.html#p4793567

(Previous samples were "official" ones from Sigma Germany: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sigmadeutschland/sets/72157648178227275/)

Oct 07, 2014 at 03:44 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

It's nice to see the shots, but they don't seem much improved over what the Tammy puts out, a bit low in contrast and all at the extremes. Maybe the wide-end is a little improved?

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:01 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

Looks pretty good! I'm excited

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:28 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

johnctharp wrote:
It's nice to see the shots, but they don't seem much improved over what the Tammy puts out, a bit low in contrast and all at the extremes. Maybe the wide-end is a little improved?

i am very much not a fan of sigma and even I can tell that these are sharper and have more contrast than the Tamron.

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:34 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

The eagle shots are terrible, in both apparent sharpness as well as contrast. When I first saw them, I thought, "Oh no! It looks like it's going to be the 400 f/5.6 for me!". But then I scrolled down and saw the others and was (cautiously) impressed. The one of the guy eating his bag especially: that has quite a bit of pop on top of the excellent apparent skin-pore-revealing level of sharpness! Given that, I think there must have been wind ruffling the the eagle (some motion blur on the outer feathers), maybe in combination with hand-holding at a weird angle or after too much coffee or a very a long day etc., may explain some of the loss of sharpness in that series. In addition to the lack of sharpness, however, perhaps a bigger problem, is that the eagles have some really tepid/muddy contrast. Don't know what's up with that. But the other shots, especially of the bag-munching-guy, are encouraging, both in sharpness and contrast.

Edited on Oct 07, 2014 at 04:45 PM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:35 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

kezeka wrote:
i am very much not a fan of sigma and even I can tell that these are sharper and have more contrast than the Tamron.

I'm definitely seeing a degradation of contrast in the images like what's seen in many results from the Tamron.

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:38 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

The sharpness in the 'guy eating his bag' shot is definitely there, but there's also a bit of a 'haze' over the whole shot that shows less than perfect contrast. Also, given the high total contrast of the shot, there's a lot of longitudinal CA and a bit of lateral CA as well, both of which I hope clean up easily with RAW profiles.

But enough of the negatives- I'm commenting because my interest in the Tamron is switching to the Sigmas.

Four things that stand out:

1. The Sports lens looks like a better overall tool in terms of ergonomics and build quality, and the Contemporary lens looks like it might be a better lightweight alternative than the Tamron.

2. I like the background and OOF transition rendering I'm seeing in the Sigma shots; there's less busy bokeh than seen in the Tamron or in say Nikon's 80-400G.

3. The Sigmas dials turn the right way. There's plenty of people that will argue that there's no such thing as 'right', but I'd prefer zoom rings to twist counter-clockwise for increased zoom to facilitate keeping my left elbow tucked, just as one would when shooting a firearm.

4. Sigma's OS may be better than Tamron's VC; I noticed while using the 24-70/2.8 VC that the Tammy's seem to need a moment to fully stabilize and that releasing the shutter too quickly could result in some goofy results even at high shutter speeds like 1/1000, unlike with my Canon lenses, and the Canon's don't need to have their IS shut off when on a tripod. 150-600 VC users have reported both issues, and I hope that Sigma tackles them with their version.

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:53 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

I think the following looked good in terms of sharpness:

eagle's eye (at 100%)
man eating bag
man in costume (bottom shot)

What I have a problem with (perhaps confusion on my part) in comments is the reference to color and saturation. It is difficult for me to judge this without having seen the scene. So my approach is to look at the skin of people, does it appear naturally shaded, seemingly correct color tones, etc. . . I guess I sort of look at it on the basis, if it gets the skin right, how can everything else (with color) be horribly wrong? But maybe that is confusion on my part by what people mean when they say it doesn't seem saturated enough. I see a lot of images that seem artificially saturated, I just assume that it is a result of over processing or perhaps the monitor I am using.

But to me, these shots seem pretty darn good. I have seen some of Imagemaster's (I think) shots of the Tamron, and he has some very good captures too. Which I think goes to support and show that almost any lens in the right persons hand can produce very good images. And very good lenses in the wrong people's hands can produce some pretty lousy images.

I can say with a high degree of confidence that a Stradivarius violin sounds pretty crappy if I am the one playing it!

Oct 07, 2014 at 05:01 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

These look like OOC JPEGs- can't really take into account color or saturation, really.

But the contrast is easy to see, and it'll definitely be a limiting factor- i.e., stop down for better contrast at the expense of lower sharpness from a slow shutter speed, or more noise and other artifacts from a higher ISO.

Like the Tamron, it looks like the Sigma will likely need to be stopped down a bit on the long end for best results, and at f/6.3, that'll be a challenge.

Oct 07, 2014 at 05:28 PM
mdbrown9999
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

Unfortunately, no bif shots. Anyone with experience with the AF differences between tamron and sigma long lens?

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

mdbrown9999 wrote:
Unfortunately, no bif shots.

Sorry only Tamron shots of a big bird in flight for now:

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · More samples from the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sports

All are from the same sequence.

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.