New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sedona - Photo Tour Recommendations

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sedona - Photo Tour Recommendations

My wife and I will be in Sedona January 2nd through the 7th, and I'd like to add a photo tour to our itinerary in addition to our own exploring.

Can anyone recommend a good one? Sunrise or Sunset is fine as I know Sedona offers great opportunities for either.

Thanks!

Greg

Oct 07, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sedona - Photo Tour Recommendations

There is always the cliched "Cathedral Rock from Red Rock Crossing". Really easy to find, surprisingly not busy when I went there. However I was there in the wrong time of the year and the water was way down.

I only had a very brief visit, but my problem with Sedona was that everywhere I wanted to take a photo, there was a house or resort in the way.

Oct 07, 2014 at 01:27 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sedona - Photo Tour Recommendations

By the way, be sure to eat at the "Elote Cafe". You will wait in line forever, but totally worth it! Killer Mexican Food!

Oct 07, 2014 at 01:30 PM
fotobandi

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sedona - Photo Tour Recommendations

Took the Pink Jeep Tour about 20 years ago. Very good, but so long ago I'd Google all the Jeep Tours to see what's good nowadays. Great views from Airport Mesa. Coffee Pot Rock as iconic..and cliched..as Red Rock Crossing, but what the hell.

Oct 07, 2014 at 03:59 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sedona - Photo Tour Recommendations

Thanks for the tips on locations! And Brad, we DO plan on eating at Elote Cafe. I even just read a "Southwest Trip" article in Sunset Magazine that mentioned it!

We are looking into the "Pink Jeep" tours but I was hoping to get a recommendation for one that specializes in photography. Even if we only go to one place that most tourists don't visit, it will be worth it. Otherwise, we'll hit the easy to moderate trails and try to find something ourselves.

-Greg

Oct 07, 2014 at 08:25 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sedona - Photo Tour Recommendations

Keep in mind that the entire Oak Creek area is still closed following the Slide Fire.

Oct 07, 2014 at 10:06 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sedona - Photo Tour Recommendations

Thanks Greg. I read a report that the "slide" is actually open, so hopefully that is true and perhaps by January, we'll have more access.

Oct 07, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sedona - Photo Tour Recommendations

It appears that the area may (?) have been re-opened. Good news for those wishing to enjoy the fall color in the area.

EDIT - YES, the area is open to hiking as of Oct. 1. Most campsites remain closed.

Oct 08, 2014 at 10:02 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sedona - Photo Tour Recommendations

Greg Campbell wrote:
It appears that the area may (?) have been re-opened. Good news for those wishing to enjoy the fall color in the area.

EDIT - YES, the area is open to hiking as of Oct. 1. Most campsites remain closed.

Thanks for sharing that information Greg!

Oct 08, 2014 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.