New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

bleep

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

Got a direct offer from 42nd Street Photo for a Canon 16-35 f4 for $1099. Placed order on Friday. They called today to "confirm my order" and try to sell me 2 filters for another $200 and informed me this was not a U.S. lens with warranty and I would have to buy their warranty for another $150 making it more expensive than a U.S. lens from other reputable merchants including a U.S. warranty. After I said to cancel they offered the lens with their warranty for $1149 but still no U.S. warranty. I still cancelled the order and now they say my account has been charged even though order has not shipped and it will take 3-5 business days to get a refund. What a rip off seller-don't go near these guys-stick with the reputable merchants like B&H or Adorama.

Oct 06, 2014 at 03:18 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

Bait 'n switch has been their game for decades. You can call your CC and ask to have the charges reversed. I had to go that route with Abe's back in the day. Luckily 42's rep is well known and thus avoided by most togs. Most reputable dealers are selling the 16-35 4L for $1199.

Edited on Oct 06, 2014 at 04:27 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2014 at 04:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

and this is something new?

Oct 06, 2014 at 04:27 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

Back in the day (circa 70's & 80's), 42nd St. rocked. The 'new' 42nd (same in name only) are just a bunch of ripoff artists.

Correction: That should be 47th St. as the old store.

Edited on Oct 06, 2014 at 07:28 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2014 at 05:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

i think you are referring to 47th St Photo. that is where i purchased my first Oly OM-1 in 1976. they were the place to buy back the not 42nd St

Oct 06, 2014 at 07:25 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

Yes, the mind is the first thing to go

Oct 06, 2014 at 07:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

the demise of the REAL 47th St Photo:

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/27/nyregion/with-questionable-future-47th-st-photo-closes-doors.html

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:56 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

I bought both of my Olympus OM-1's from 47th Street Photo. You're right, in the 70's they were the "B&H's and Adorama's" of today.

Oct 07, 2014 at 05:55 AM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

I went to NYC to buy my first camera from them in 1980, a Nikon F3. Wonderful experience!

Oct 08, 2014 at 01:07 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

When will people learn that B&H and Adorama are, quite simply, the ONLY honest retail stores in NY

Oct 08, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

Just to go against the tide here, I had a positive experience buying a Sigma 35 Art from 47th St Photo's eBay store last year. Quick delivery, no hassle, and the cheapest price I'd seen at that time by about $100. They haven't even made a concerted effort to spam me since. Maybe I was just lucky, but I'm a happy camper.

C

Oct 09, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

.they got to have few good deals out there to allow all the bad ones to exist. Yeah you were lucky., my three sources besides the buy and sell here are Amazon, B&H and Addarama, in no particular order. I'll usuall check b&H first then see if Addarama has it on special then see what can be found on Amazon and by who.

Several years ago I commented on my search method and asked why the prices were better at the time at Amazon when sold by the same stores thru them. Henry for B&H responded and said if given the option or opportunity that if possible would match for loyal customers which I felt I fitted the bill based on the amount spent over the years. About the only sales at Adaramma were items that B&H were out of or didn't carry. Then vheck Amazon but since I get free shipping at B&H it's hard for Amazon to get a sale now except for ebooks. I even bought one of my last two laptops there but they didn't have the same modle when I was buying the second so I had to get it at Amazon. Been awhile since I remember ordering from Adaramma but even my B&H and Amazon sales are way down, no place to put the stuff I'm waiting for the 7d2 now.

Oct 10, 2014 at 07:42 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

Adorama

Oct 10, 2014 at 09:06 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 42nd Street Photo really bad service

anthonysemone wrote:
Adorama

Thank you!

Oct 12, 2014 at 05:16 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.