Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

jeetsukumaran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

I know it collapses flat, and, as the specs say it is 8.6 x 8.6" when open, I am assuming that it collapses to a 8.6 x 8.6" flat square. Can this be folded further? E.g., in half again to a 8.6 x 4.3" flat square. Or is there a wire frame or something that prevents this.

I currently have a LumiQuest Softbox III, and am looking for something that folds smaller to fit in a pocket of one of my camera bags.

Thanks.

Oct 06, 2014 at 02:07 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

If my experience with the other ezbox soft boxes is any indication, it will fold into a flat triangle measuring 8.6 along the open edge, and something similar on the remaining two sides. You can't fold it smaller than 8.6", as the frame is rigid.

Oct 06, 2014 at 04:40 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

I like the small Ezybox but nine out of tens times I use the standard and large size Rogue Flashbender's. Great modifiers and super easy to carry and use.

Oct 06, 2014 at 06:30 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
I like the small Ezybox but nine out of tens times I use the standard and large size Rogue Flashbender's. Great modifiers and super easy to carry and use.

what I really want to do is maximum diffusion at close range with a speedlight. The primary application is for outdoor field use in close-up photography. There will not (reliably) be any surfaces to bounce light off. From what I can make out, flashbenders are not suitable in this context?

Oct 06, 2014 at 08:59 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

The Flashbender would be a very good compromise between portability and diffusion. Just be sure you get the one that has a diffuser! Are you going to mount your speed light on the hot shoe? If so, the Flashbender can really bend down to focus your light on a close-in object. If, on the other hand, you're going to use off-camera flash, you might also consider a hand-held diffuser just out of frame for maximum diffusion. Lastolite has a tri-grip diffuser that folds down really small.

Oct 06, 2014 at 09:11 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing this info.

The speedlight will be mounted on a wimberly macro arm bracket, not hand-held, and I do not think hand-holding is an option that I will be able to count on.

The flashbender looks interesting. In the diffuser setup, from images and videos, it seems like the flash head is pointed upwards, perpendicular to the face of the softbox/diffuser panel. Is this correct? Is there a lot of loss of light that way?

Do you think the large is too large for a speedlight mounted on a bracket on camera?

Oct 06, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

You just bend it over a little. It works perfect in or outdoor. You can vary the softness by how much you bend it over. Another nice thing about using it is the ability to switch from landscape to portrait orientation easily. I prefer the smaller one when working quickly but the large one with or without the diffuser works very good also, especially with the flash on a stand.

Oct 06, 2014 at 10:35 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

Thanks, Gregg. I get that the flashbender can be folded and rolled, making it much more compact than anything else. However, is it limited in how "short" it can get? That is, what is the length of the dimension along the axis that the long metal bendy things are, and are those bendy things bendy/robust enough so that they can, e.g., be folded in half?

Also, for those who have owned or do own both, how do you rate the diffusion/softness of this vs. the LumiQuest softbox III?

Oct 07, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

Here's and idea of how big it is open and folded. Keep in mind that it is not a direct replacement for a softbox. But a softbox as small as what you have isn't that "soft" anyway. I just find the Rogue to be more versatile. It's only $30 so it might be worth a try.

Oct 07, 2014 at 11:59 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

Thanks, Gregg. That's the small, I believe. Have you got both sizes? I've read reports of the larger causing speedlight heads to drop when trying to set up at 45 degs. Do you have the same experience?

Oct 07, 2014 at 03:07 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

Yes, it's the small one. And, yes the large one can cause the head to drop when angled. I have both but I really don't use the larger one much, partly for this reason. Or I will use the head straight up and use a tilter bracket and then there is no issue. If I need a softbox, I will use a regular one large enough to get the proper effect, and usually with my Elinchrom Quadra.

Oct 07, 2014 at 03:55 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How small does the lastolight ezybox Speed-Lite fold into?

OK, I have been persuaded to try it out! Since my plan is to use it on a wimberly macro arm, I hoping I can get away with using the larger one, with the angle being achieved by the macro arm position rather than the flash head angle.

I am conjecturing that while at typical distances for, e.g. (human) portrait photography, the difference between the softening given by the small and large is not that big, especially compared when to a real softbox, in close up photography (e.g., frog "portraits") the larger one have more of an impact than a small one.

Oct 07, 2014 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.