Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Steampunk Wedding - (45 Images, C&C)

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Steampunk Wedding - (45 Images, C&C)

...And now for something very different from anything I've ever seen. The bride works in a university costume shop as a tailor. She and the groom are both into sci-fi and steampunk, so they decided on a steampunk themed wedding. I had no idea just how thorough and awesome that it was going to be until I was there. She made costume items for just about everyone there, including wait staff and musicians.

I had loads of fun with this group. Below are some highlights from the day. They only wanted coverage to start at the venue, approximately an hour before the ceremony, so no prep of any kind. Actually, the bride wasn't even there until just before the thing began as the groom wasn't to see her before hand.

Oct 05, 2014 at 10:26 PM
rondphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Steampunk Wedding - (45 Images, C&C)

Where are the portraits? I would have killed to shoot this wedding just for the portraits. The guests were all done up in a legit fashion....not just regular folks who bought a few Steampunk accessories on Etsy. And the broach bouquet. I don't think the empty drink does much for the bouquet in #18. Very cool stuff that there's no photos of.

#45 is an awkward moment for me. I like photos where the couple is just about to kiss, but she looks a little strange in the photo. It's not a good tension between them.

I would have went with 1-2 killer photos of the lantern launch thing at the end.

Still need to work on your framing, composition and subject matter. 1b...is it a photo of the centerpiece, the table or the glass with the napkin? It's my opinion that glasses with napkins, dishes with slices of butter, sugar packets or salt and pepper shakers cheapen the table.

Think about what you're trying to convey in photos. #2 is a photo of the officiant's podium thing.....but it looks like you were trying to get artsy fartsy with the guy that's directly behind it. Would have been a cool photo with a longer lens, and you moving camera right.

#12 - Not sure what's going on there.

#17 - Not crazy about the composition. What is it a photo of?

#3 is strange to me because you don't know that's the bride as she's in the same outfits as the guest. The guy in red became the focal point of the photo as he stood out.

#4 it looks like she's a sad woman hiding around the corner.

#19 - What is that?

Lots of photos of the guy with the large format camera.

Oct 05, 2014 at 11:48 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Steampunk Wedding - (45 Images, C&C)

Ron, thorough as always! Thanks so much for taking the time to have a look at my images. You do fantastic work, so I really do value your input.

45 - I think I can see what you're saying her, though I can't quite put my finger on what feels a bit off.

The foot bridge over the low dam adjacent to the restaurant was a perfect place for the lanterns. It had a great view of the reception, but it was dark enough the feel a bit separate.

1b - Noted. Sugar packets and stuff like that for sure. The s&p in this photo don't bother me too much, but then again the composition draws unnecessary attention to them.

I think some of these may be a bit harder to read partially because the wedding party is more difficult to pick out when they aren't at the front of the ceremony. For instance, 2 is a photo of the officiant's book on the podium, with the groom talking to a guest in the background--but unless there or scouring the rest of the images for clues, it is hard to know who anyone one is. Same goes for 3 & 4. 3 is the procession heading up the aisle, the best man waiving to the bride before heading up. 4 is the bride nervously waiting around the corner before she walked the aisle. 4 might have been better if maybe I was able to shoot a wide shot of her at the corner of the building on the right and show the aisle and wedding to the left.

With regards to 12 & 17, the brother of the groom is a retired photo instructor, so he did some large format portraits of the wedding party that were integrated into the ceremony. Actually, it was about a third of the ceremony! There were some sci-fi theatrics along with the photo and some stuff about time travel. In 12, the two young people are his assistants (grandchildren?). The boy was running the shutter cable and also used his cardboard viewfinder the compose the shot so his grandpa would know where to place the camera. I am anxious to see the photos that he took too!

17 - I was shooting a few during the receiving line at the end of the ceremony. The space was cramped (for the ceremony as well really) and it was a bit chaotic, so I was really just trying to catch some of the chaos. I love the expression on the older guy in the bottom left of the left photo, as well as the naked baby interacting with dad while waiting in line in the right photo.

19 - This was mostly me playing around. The ceremony was immediately outside the reception and I am shooting into the window. I liked the reflection from the late day sun outside and the hint of what was going on inside. Yup, it is abstract--probably abstract to a fault. I really just shot it for me, but I liked it as a transition from the outdoor ceremony to the indoor reception.

Portraits! Things went late. Very late. Our scheduled time for portraits before the reception was take up with the ceremony, receiving line, and people dashing for the bar. The couple wasn't stressed about it and really just wanted two portraits--one with the groom's family, one with the bride's family. Dinner went long as well, by almost an hour. It was pushing 9:30 when these finally went down. It was outdoor, so really no usable ambient light to speak of. I set up 3 speedlights for the portraits (two on stands with translucent umbrellas, one behind bare) while guests finished eating and scouted out some stairs to position people on. It was not ideal, but it worked. I kept another speedlight clipped to a power pole to cover the outdoor dance floor until I could move my stands over there.

© Ben Sandness 2014

Oct 06, 2014 at 10:57 AM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Steampunk Wedding - (45 Images, C&C)

What an interesting concept! Looks like a fun time.

My favs were: 5, 6,8,9,21,31

These did not work as well for me: 18, 32, 33 mainly for lack of a clear subject.

Was this your 5th wedding? I have been keeping up because we are both in the same boat ... shot my 5th this past weekend.

Oct 07, 2014 at 09:25 AM
TrailboyWales

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Steampunk Wedding - (45 Images, C&C)

Images are way too large for me to view.

Recommend you resize.

Oct 07, 2014 at 09:25 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Steampunk Wedding - (45 Images, C&C)

giddyup wrote:
What an interesting concept! Looks like a fun time.

My favs were: 5, 6,8,9,21,31

These did not work as well for me: 18, 32, 33 mainly for lack of a clear subject.

Was this your 5th wedding? I have been keeping up because we are both in the same boat ... shot my 5th this past weekend.

Thanks! It was actually my 6th. I've got one before this that I need to post eventually, though I am waiting a few weeks to do so. The groom is in the military and had to leave again right after the wedding, so the bride didn't want images online until early November so that she could look at them with him for the first time. They've got the disc already from me and I've already done a preview online, but I happily obliged. They were pretty awesome to work with and she's already scattered glowing reviews all over the internet. Actually, I put a couple images from their wedding in the "Best of Sept 2014" thread.

Have you put anything up on the forum yet or online elsewhere? Love to see your work man.

---------------------------------------------

TrailboyWales wrote:
Images are way too large for me to view.

Recommend you resize.

Thanks, I'll try and address this with the next thing I post. My desktop is 1920 wide and my MBP has a retina display, so everything looked fine here. Heck, my phone browser looked good as well, but I guess that's because my WP theme is adaptive and scaled down. Sorry about that!

Oct 07, 2014 at 10:12 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.