New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Band shoot

sgraafmans
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Band shoot

A few pics from a band shoot I recently did. These pics are straight of the camera with nil PS aside from a little croping. C&C welcome good or bad.

Oct 05, 2014 at 04:04 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Band shoot

Seems to me like you had some interesting elements there but I don't really understand your decisions in terms of focus, lighting, and posing. Seem to send mixed messages.

In 1, for example, one guy is significantly out of focus. I could sort of understand having one guy IN focus where he is presumably the lead, but one guy out of focus looks like a mistake to me.

The lighting also seems to highlight or hide certain members of the band in a way that doesn't seem consistent or understandable. Some have low "ghoul" lighting, some have straight on, some have above. Possibly for a group of 4 you didn't really have enough lights to really control things.

The posing also seems a little strange with the guitar guy in full "modeling" mode and the rest of the guys just sort of standing around.

I probably made the shots sound worse than they are and maybe you were after something that I'm not picking up on. Just giving you my initial reaction.

Oct 05, 2014 at 05:02 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Band shoot

I completely agree with Eyeball. I get the concept of doing dramatic lighting with bands, but I'm not really getting this one. It looks like your main light is set pretty low. Can you talk us through your approach on this?

Oct 05, 2014 at 08:28 PM
sgraafmans
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Band shoot

Simple really. Soft box on a boom directly above but just feathering to give a low ambient down light.
Up -ended another softbox as a front kicker. A small flash grided to seperate the back person a little.I could have easily just nuked everyone and had a shadowless image, but that would be too boring for me. Especially with a band.

Oct 05, 2014 at 08:59 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Band shoot

Light is just way too uneven and all over the place. In spots it seems as if one subject is blocking the light from getting to another subject. Dont care for shallow DOF to make only one member OOF.....If you and band are pleased though, that is all that matters

Oct 05, 2014 at 10:55 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Band shoot

No one's suggesting that you nuke them and have no shadows. Shadows are very good. They add dimension and drama.

Oct 06, 2014 at 08:47 AM
gempixel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Band shoot

What style of music do they play?

Oct 06, 2014 at 10:31 AM
sgraafmans
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Band shoot

Thank you all for the comments. Its great to have an honest opinion from people who know there stuff very well. They are a rock band and play covers plus original music.

Oct 06, 2014 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.