New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Holder for light stand?

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Holder for light stand?

I'm looking for a holder to put on top of my light stand - right now I am only using speedlites so I need the cold shoe holder.

Have speedlite softbox+umbrellas, so a rod pass-through too. Do I need to account for anything else?

This looks like the cheapest option:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photo-Flash-Adapter-Hot-Shoe-Swivel-Light-Stand-Mount-Umbrella-Holder-Bracket-B-/221439135593?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item338ecd0f69

Given I'm not putting a heavier monolight or similar on it, anything wrong with this option? Manfrotto has ones that are like $25 and up...

ALSO - what are the differnt types? Like that is "B Type"...?

Oct 05, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Holder for light stand?

I prefer the Bogen 034 I beleive the number is iirc. They are better made.

Oct 05, 2014 at 02:18 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Holder for light stand?

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Given I'm not putting a heavier monolight or similar on it, anything wrong with this option? Manfrotto has ones that are like $25 and up...

If you're going to be using it outdoors with umbrellas I'd suggest looking for one that has a toothed angle adjustment. The teeth or gears in the two halves interlock and hold solid without slipping. If you look closely at the image in the link you'll be able to see how the two halves interlock.

http://goo.gl/bY215y

I have a couple of Manfrotto units as well as a Phottix unit left over from when I used to use speedlights. The Manfrotto units don't lock solid - they can't hold much weight without drooping.

The Phottix unit is nicely designed, lightweight, and locks solid due to the toothed angle adjustment. The Phottix unit was also about $10 less than the Manfrotto ones, IIRC.

Oct 07, 2014 at 12:07 AM
flowrider

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Holder for light stand?

go with a Godox S-Type holder. Very rigid and you can mount Bowen's modifiers on them.
$23 bucks on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351179699445?lpid=82

Oct 19, 2014 at 06:49 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Holder for light stand?

Michael White wrote:
I prefer the Bogen 034 I beleive the number is iirc. They are better made.

Maybe you meant the Manfrotto 026?

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Oct 20, 2014 at 04:02 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Holder for light stand?

henryp wrote:

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Go with this. In the long run, the little extra you pay will be well worth it from a reliability and peace of mind point of view.

Oct 20, 2014 at 05:04 PM
masirvan

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Holder for light stand?

thank for info
i used monfrotto monopod too
----------------
Fotografer surabaya

Jan 01, 2020 at 12:17 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Holder for light stand?

flowrider wrote:
go with a Godox S-Type holder. Very rigid and you can mount Bowen's modifiers on them.
$23 bucks on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351179699445?lpid=82

^^ This. And you can get the earlier version for much less than $23 if you shop around a bit.

These completely eliminate the strain on the flash foot that is a major weakness of the coldshoe-type adapters.

C

Jan 01, 2020 at 12:57 PM
ian watstein
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Holder for light stand?

B&H has the S-type for $20 with the bowens mount; it's a bit more for other mounting systems.
[https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1342131-REG/godox_s_bracket_for_bowens.html/]
I picked up a few of these a while ago and absolutely love them. For someone only shooting umbrellas, they have two major advantages:
the first, mentioned before, is to remove stress on the flash foot.
the second, (and personally the more important) is that it puts the flash pretty much centered with the umbrella. Even without a flash shoe mounted trigger, this is already more useful, but once you add another 1 1/2" inches below the flash, the old standard mounting systems just don't seem as good.
As an added bonus, you are adding a mounting system that lets you add things like soft boxes, octa boxes and other modifiers from Bowens, Elinchrom, or [cannot remember the third].
The s2 adds a rounded bottom for round flash heads or two standard.
Lots of places sell these with additional stuff too...
Ian

Jan 01, 2020 at 01:20 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Holder for light stand?

^^^ the S2 does not let you mount two standard flashes. It lets you mount two of their mini TT350/V350 flashes. Normal speedlights are too large to pair up like the smaller mini flashes.

Jan 02, 2020 at 05:20 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Holder for light stand?

If you're looking for inexpensive, here you go! $10

https://www.amazon.com/Anwenk-Speedlite-Umbrella-Reflector-Holder/dp/B072JRNNTG/ref=sxin_0_ac_d_pm?ac_md=1-0-VW5kZXIgJDEw-ac_d_pm&cv_ct_cx=flash+bracket&keywords=flash+bracket&pd_rd_i=B072JRNNTG&pd_rd_r=66431ff9-8d53-4d03-9c5a-ab7e103ca51e&pd_rd_w=armEj&pd_rd_wg=GLc4C&pf_rd_p=709d2064-e546-4799-9e66-b352ea89951f&pf_rd_r=29M6A8J5JJM3EGB5EE8Q&psc=1&qid=1578011809

Jan 02, 2020 at 07:42 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Holder for light stand?

henryp wrote:

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Seriously, go with the Manfrotto on this (or a close clone, if you can find one).

There are three particular points to observe for this piece of gear, and the Manfrotto wins all of them. I've wasted money on cheaper.

1. You want a device that both tightens quickly and loosens quickly, and when it's tightend you don't want slipping. Plastic mounts require a lot of knob-twisting (revolution after revolution) to get tight, and they still slip. A metal mount takes only a quarter or half turn and it's locked tight, and only a quarter or half turn and it's fully loose.

2. You want it to adjust smoothly, no hitches. Many cheaper metal mounts just don't have a smooth design. The Manfrotto operates smoothly.

3. You want a mount that puts knobs where there should be knobs and levers where there should be levers. Really, take a look a that factor. The Manfrotto has a big lever on the joint that you want to be the tightest, a smaller lever on the joint that needs to be the second tightest, and a knob where your operating room is the least. It has its levers and knobs in all the right places. I don't know why they don't all get that right, but not all of the them do.

So I strongly advice the Manfrotto with an accessory shoe on it. It's lifetime gear.

Jan 03, 2020 at 07:03 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Holder for light stand?

Go with Manfrotto, all metal. Buy once, cry once!

Jan 03, 2020 at 03:13 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Holder for light stand?

Anytime you look for the cheapest option you are looking at potential problems. Go for quality equipment.

Jan 09, 2020 at 03:39 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Holder for light stand?

I have the Manfrotto 026 and, other than being all-metal, is less than satisfactory in matters of mechanics and geometry. In particular, the flash will be positioned far off-axis. Since I don't care about portability or saving every upfront nickel, the infinitely superior solution is bog-standard grip gear:

Rock solid at any angle, flash is on-axis for even and broadest illumination. I can move this light with one finger (roller stands are the shiznit).

Jan 09, 2020 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.