New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Connemara Pony

moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Connemara Pony

This is my first post, well one other over a year ago.
Is this too large? I noticed that most of the post are smaller.

Goes without saying - any and all feedback is welcome.

© moosehead222 2014

Connemara Pony - Ireland

Oct 04, 2014 at 07:31 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Connemara Pony

Post size is fine ... larger is okay too.

Convention is to consider that @ 800 px high, most everyone can see the image in full without having to scroll vertically. Nothing to keep one from going larger, just something to consider, which can make portrait orientation seem a bit smaller if @ 800 tall, by smaller wide.

That being said, shooting The King on the D800E ... I'm sure you'd like to be showing off some of that detail in things such as the grass, mane, tail, etc. Feel free to repost @ larger.

Nice scene ... a tranquil one, yet the horses add a dynamic element. Kinda cool how the horse colors coordinate with the land grasses @ warm and the water/sky @ neutral.

Compositionally, I'd like to see the horses in a bit different location relative to the cliff's edge ... but I get that they don't always go where you want them to.

Colors are rich, warm and inviting. I might consider a sliver of a trim off the top to shift balance/weighting a bit, but it'll hang just fine as is.

Welcome to PC Forum.

Bring on the pics.

Oct 04, 2014 at 08:20 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Connemara Pony

Tranquil scene with nice, muted colors and good work on the highlights/exposure. Not an easy challenge.
Composition would be stronger with some more separation of the horses from their surround, perhaps several different ways.
With the white horse, having the head above the cliff/more water behind the head would separate rather than almost align the head and top of the horse with the cliff edge. Similarly, different timing, lower angle (if possible) might have placed the darker horses rear in a position where the edge of horse and cliff do not meet. The juxtaposition of the brown horse against the green grass is beautiful. More would be more betterer
Got variations?
Scott

Edited on Oct 04, 2014 at 01:13 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2014 at 10:46 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Connemara Pony

sbeme wrote:
With the white horse, having the head above the cliff/more water behind the head would separate rather than almost align the head and top of the horse with the cliff edge. Similarly, different timing, lower angle (if possible) might have placed the darker horses rear in a position where the edge of horse and cliff do not meet.

+1 ... this is what I was referring @ horse position.

Oct 04, 2014 at 01:03 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Connemara Pony

I like it, the brightness at the horizon is a dragging my eye away a bit, but I would not want to eliminate the horizon.

Oct 04, 2014 at 01:30 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Connemara Pony

Thanks everyone.

Yes, exactly, I would have like to get lower but this was as low as I could get and they just did not take direction very well. Other variations were not as good.

I raised and toned down the horizon a bit.

© moosehead222 2014

Connemara Pony Ireland

Oct 04, 2014 at 02:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Connemara Pony

moosehead222 wrote:
they just did not take direction very well.

I guess they just wanted to be an a$$.

Oct 04, 2014 at 02:27 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.