New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help with AF Fine-tuning

Joseph Marney
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with AF Fine-tuning

I recently purchased a D750 after shooting primarily mirrorless for the past several years.

I am still in the process of acquiring lenses, but picked up the 50mm 1.8G to get me going, as it seems to be well liked.

Unfortunately, it's driving me nuts. Firstly, image quality with contrast detection AF in live view is as expected. But with phase-detect AF, it's all over the place. At close distances (MFD), I have to dial in between +5 and +10 for decent sharpness, at mid-distance (4-5') +0, and at farther distances (10+') -10.

Can I assume this is a characteristic of this specific lens? I can't imagine trying to work like this with every lens.
If it is the lens, should I just exchange it? Has anyone else experienced this?

Oct 03, 2014 at 07:29 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with AF Fine-tuning

Exchange FTW, GL

Oct 03, 2014 at 07:58 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with AF Fine-tuning

Joseph Marney wrote:
I recently purchased a D750 after shooting primarily mirrorless for the past several years.

I am still in the process of acquiring lenses, but picked up the 50mm 1.8G to get me going, as it seems to be well liked.

Unfortunately, it's driving me nuts. Firstly, image quality with contrast detection AF in live view is as expected. But with phase-detect AF, it's all over the place. At close distances (MFD), I have to dial in between +5 and +10 for decent sharpness, at mid-distance (4-5') +0, and at farther distances (10+') -10.

Can I assume this is a characteristic of
...Show more

I have several lenses with distance-specific AF tune variation. I've found the best strategy is to tune @ infinity; on my lenses that value works for both infinity and MFD (whereas the inverse is not true - ie, using the MFD tune value and using the lens at infinity). Also, have you tried DotTune?

Oct 03, 2014 at 08:18 PM
nvrupnvrin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with AF Fine-tuning

Joseph Marney wrote:

Can I assume this is a characteristic of
...Show more

Joe,

I don't believe this is the case with each copy of this lens . Below is a Nikon refurb that I just purchased . Wanted to try the lens on Will's recommendation . I believe its a great value for the money .
D700 + 50mm f/1.8G @ 1.8 , cropped , reduced for post other than that , sooc . No fine tune , just out of the box .

Hope this helps ...

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G

Oct 04, 2014 at 04:28 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with AF Fine-tuning

I've never experienced evidence that led me to believe I should have to fine tune a lens on any of my equipment, and have had a fair amount of bodies and lenses .I don't know anything about it, but guessing it's the exception rather than the rule based on my Nikon experience..heck, maybe there's something there that my lack of discerning has missed but I haven't noticed..I mean like everyone I don't have a 100% hit rate but nothing glaring or out of the ordinary...I don't want to ever have to mess with that stuff, too much hassle imo, maybe I've just been lucky, dunno'..If I ever have this happen I'll return it first..good luck

Oct 04, 2014 at 06:50 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with AF Fine-tuning

Have you tried different lenses on the body and different bodies on the lens? My 50 1.8G fine tune value is consistent

Oct 04, 2014 at 07:29 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with AF Fine-tuning

Just a double check.

Are you tuning properly?
Are you tuning the "default" or "Saved Value?"

Generally, since you are actually new to the Nikon DSLR systems (it appears), doing this wrong, or interpreting results wrong, would be an easy mistake to make. I would make sure of, and set everything to -0- and just use I for a few days.

When I did get around to fine tuning, I would set the camera up on a tripod, and find a good target. Everything matters, support, lighting, wind, distance...

Edited on Oct 04, 2014 at 08:22 AM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2014 at 08:18 AM
Joseph Marney
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with AF Fine-tuning

I have an old 24-120mm zoom, but that is a little difficult to test with. 180 2.8 coming Monday should be easier to test with.

Hoping it is just the lens.

Oct 04, 2014 at 08:20 AM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with AF Fine-tuning

Kell wrote:
I've never experienced evidence that led me to believe I should have to fine tune a lens on any of my equipment, and have had a fair amount of bodies and lenses .I don't know anything about it, but guessing it's the exception rather than the rule based on my Nikon experience..heck, maybe there's something there that my lack of discerning has missed but I haven't noticed..I mean like everyone I don't have a 100% hit rate but nothing glaring or out of the ordinary...I don't want to ever have to mess with that stuff, too much hassle imo, maybe
...Show more

Not that much "hassle". It's quite likely you are missing a level of sharpness you've yet to experience. But than again I guess you aren't missing it anyway.

If you ever have time to kill and want to give it a go, I would highly suggest using the DotTune method.

Oct 04, 2014 at 01:07 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.