New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon 14-24 or 16-35 for water housing

redgrom
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 14-24 or 16-35 for water housing

Working on replacing my d300-10.5 combo in my waterhousing for shooting surf. Aquatic has ports available for each and will be using my d810 in the housing. I have shoot both but curious if if notice the improved sharpness of the 14-24 through a port? Also kinda curious if the weight difference between the 2 will be that noticeable in the water.
Also I always zone focused the 10.5 and didn't try that when I had the lenses.... :I'm shooting more gallery style prints these days vs working with surfers and trying to sell to companies or what's left of the surf mags. Any input or advice would be appreciated!

Oct 03, 2014 at 12:04 PM
guyharrison
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 14-24 or 16-35 for water housing

This question has been addressed on wetpixel.com. The consensus is that, at 14mm, no dome port is big enough to get corner sharpness in a housing with the 14-24. All of the top photogs recommend using the 16-35mm in the biggest dome and with appropriate extension (this varies by brand. so check with Aquatica or Nauticam or whatever brand you choose) for better sharpness. Due to the complex optics of dome ports, sometimes the sharpest lenses on land do not translate to UW. Also, you have the advantage of VR with the 16-35.

However, due to the more compact size and weight, I would just upgrade to the D7100 for your purposes. You already have the fisheye so no need to buy a new lens, and also would have access to the excellent Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom, (or the Nikon 10-24 rectilinear ultrawide) for which there is no FF equivalent. D7100 image quality is superb and more than enough for gallery prints. The ease in size and handling over the D810, especially in tough conditions such as surf/waves, would be quite substantial. Save the D810 for land use.

Personally, I use a micro 4/3 system for UW due to its compactness and light weight, and use my D800e for my above water landscapes, but since you already have a great DX lens, the D7100 would be perfect for what you want to do.

Oct 03, 2014 at 01:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.