Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · bad situation

sgtbueno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · bad situation

Yesterday I had a meeting with a bride, she is getting married next year and she booked the wedding during our first meeting. So that went well, a nice $4,500 package, but I was feeling a bit sad because another bride has been asking lots of questions for 5 days for the same day, and after that meeting I had to go home to send her email and her wedding planner to inform them about the day been booked, so I did, I tried to be really polite and professional about it and offered my apologies while explaining that it s first come first serve approach.
The wedding planner didn't sound too happy on her reply.

So now I have a feeling that I acted wrong but I got burned in the pass, waited and waited to no avail.

What's your take, did I acted incorrect?

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:29 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · bad situation

Did you get to check out this thread?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1317081/0#12566265

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · bad situation

Just because you upset someone doesn't mean you did anything wrong! I wonder how professional the planner is if she reacted like this - she should know how booking works, no business will turn down guaranteed money for the chance at the same money. You might just be getting her displaced irritation as she has to now get them another photog. You don't go to a shop, ask lots of questions, come back later and get stroppy when the item has been sold.

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:49 AM
awad
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · bad situation

i always give the person inquiring about the date a 24hr heads up before i meet with someone else about their date. its much better to let them know up front vs telling them sorry after.

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:50 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · bad situation

Awad,
I didn't had 24 hours to give, the bride call me at 5pm to meet her at Panera an hour later.

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:56 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · bad situation

My rule of thumb is that any time there's a planner involved I will always give them a heads up as to someone else wanting the date. I let the second party know that I've given someone else the FROR and go from there.

Treat your other wedding vendors like clients. That planner could give you more business.

Oct 03, 2014 at 11:01 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · bad situation

sgtbueno wrote:
Awad,
I didn't had 24 hours to give, the bride call me at 5pm to meet her at Panera an hour later.

In this case, you explain that someone else inquired about the date and that you want to let them know.

I don't do this for every wedding...just ones with a planner.

Oct 03, 2014 at 11:02 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · bad situation

Just like buying a house. If you don't put money down someone else might buy it five minutes after you leave. That wedding planner is not working without a payment in hand so she has nothing to say about the matter. In fact she should have assisted her bride in making a fast decision to avoid what just happened.

Oct 03, 2014 at 11:07 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · bad situation

Too. Damned. Bad.

Oct 03, 2014 at 11:18 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · bad situation

Why was she screwing around for 5 days?

Oct 03, 2014 at 11:25 AM
McGrattan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · bad situation

ricardovaste wrote:
Why was she screwing around for 5 days?

Wedding planner was probably doing the back and forth with several other photographers.

Oct 03, 2014 at 12:38 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · bad situation

McGrattan wrote:
Wedding planner was probably doing the back and forth with several other photographers.

Time to fire the planner

I'm guessing the planner was just embarrassed as much as anything. She knows how it works. Or she should do, assuming she's done it before

Oct 03, 2014 at 12:50 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · bad situation

Tell her you urgently needed cash for your trip to Spain and the BIG celebration of Real Madrid Huge victory !!

sgtbueno wrote:
Yesterday I had a meeting with a bride, she is getting married next year and she booked the wedding during our first meeting. So that went well, a nice $4,500 package, but I was feeling a bit sad because another bride has been asking lots of questions for 5 days for the same day, and after that meeting I had to go home to send her email and her wedding planner to inform them about the day been booked, so I did, I tried to be really polite and professional about it and offered my apologies while explaining that it
...Show more

Oct 03, 2014 at 01:30 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · bad situation

The planner knows how this works. Don't sweat it. She was probably pissy because she knows she has to tell the client, and the client will realize the planner dropped the ball on the timing.

Oct 03, 2014 at 02:37 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · bad situation

I think you did the right thing, they had their opportunity to book you and didn't do it right away, there are no promises to hold anything while they shop around which is obviously what they were doing.

Oct 03, 2014 at 02:43 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · bad situation

Yeah don't let the planner guilt you for not doing her job. If you were top contender or they were ready to book they wouldn't have dragged their feet. First come first serve.

Oct 03, 2014 at 03:37 PM
Boss302
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · bad situation

Hmmmm? Wonder if the planner would have called you if they booked another photographer?

Oct 03, 2014 at 03:52 PM
RafalA
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · bad situation

First to pay gets the day. Been burned too many times by being too nice.

Oct 03, 2014 at 09:42 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · bad situation

Edited on Oct 04, 2014 at 03:08 AM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:33 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · bad situation

I wouldn't sweat it. It's not like you are going to lose business if some wedding planner isn't happy with you. For them to hold something like that against you would be a total lack of professionalism. I'm sure if the wedding planner was put in the exact situation you were they would have acted in a similar fashion.

You are a human being but you are also operating a business.

Oct 03, 2014 at 11:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.