New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

hrogersiii

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

After shooting the first outing using a Lexar Professional 1066x 32GB UDMA 7 CF card, I get a defective card error when attempting to re-use the card and re-format for the next use.

I also have a second card which has never been used, that does the same thing.

I have seen several threads on various forums that this is inherent with the 800 and 810, despite the fact that this card is on the "approved for use" list.

Could there be something wrong with the CF card slot somehow?

Anyone have any suggestions?

This camera was affected by the hot pixel recall and I am not looking forward to having to send it back to Nikon again.

Thanks!

Harry Rogers

Oct 03, 2014 at 08:59 AM
BenjaminT

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

Hmm Im using the scandisk 128 cf card and havent had any problems.

Oct 03, 2014 at 09:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

no, you are using Sandisk.

Oct 03, 2014 at 09:47 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

hrogersiii wrote:
After shooting the first outing using a Lexar Professional 1066x 32GB UDMA 7 CF card, I get a defective card error when attempting to re-use the card and re-format for the next use.

I also have a second card which has never been used, that does the same thing.

I have seen several threads on various forums that this is inherent with the 800 and 810, despite the fact that this card is on the "approved for use" list.

Could there be something wrong with the CF card slot somehow?

Anyone have any suggestions?

This camera was affected by the hot pixel recall and I
...Show more

try calling Lexar. they have the answer or explanation you need. the 1000x 32GB work fine.

http://www.lexar.com/contact-us

Edited on Oct 03, 2014 at 10:21 AM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2014 at 09:50 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

It's a known issue with these Lexar cards. Nikon's "approved for use" list is essentially meaningless.

Oct 03, 2014 at 09:59 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

molson wrote:
It's a known issue with these Lexar cards. Nikon's "approved for use" list is essentially meaningless.

actually it seems to have been the previous gen 1000x and a relatively small lot.
http://www.lexar.com/files/support/Lexar-CF-400x-1000x-firmware.pdf

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:18 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

This reminds me why i stopped using Lexar cards years ago... Just too many odd issues from time to time with Lexar cards. Its either Sandisk or Transcend for me.

Jim

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

the last issue i had with a lexar card was with my coolpix 950. it was awhile back.

i also haven't found a real reason to go to 128GB either.

Edited on Oct 03, 2014 at 11:06 AM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

JimFox wrote:
This reminds me why i stopped using Lexar cards years ago... Just too many odd issues from time to time with Lexar cards. Its either Sandisk or Transcend for me.

Jim

It does seem to happen every few years. However, the 64GB 1066x card seemed like a great deal back in May.

EBH

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:41 AM
hrogersiii

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

Thanks to everyone who responded. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and highly respected! I decided to drop Lexar completely, including their card reader, which may have been to blame for damaging the pin hole on the card, and have made a 100% switch to San Disk cards and reader.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM
InFocus2014
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

As an additional note on the issue, I had the same problem with my Lexar 400x CF card that I purchased for my D800E two years ago. In the D810, I got periodic errors. If I ejected it and re-installed it would then work fine. I then purchased a new 1066x Lexar CF and it has worked flawlessly for several months in the D810.

Oct 11, 2014 at 05:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

hrogersiii wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and highly respected! I decided to drop Lexar completely, including their card reader, which may have been to blame for damaging the pin hole on the card, and have made a 100% switch to San Disk cards and reader.

you didn't even call them?

Oct 12, 2014 at 09:14 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

I've shot Sandisk exclusively my entire life. But I found a good price on a Lexar 800x 64GB CF and I thought I'd finally give one a try. Yesterday about 2/3 of the way through my wedding I got a Card a Error on the 810. Figures. SanDisk replacement was ordered last night before I went to bed.

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

I waste all my money on good lenses and cameras. Can't afford sandisk anymore!

Oct 12, 2014 at 06:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I've shot Sandisk exclusively my entire life. But I found a good price on a Lexar 800x 64GB CF and I thought I'd finally give one a try. Yesterday about 2/3 of the way through my wedding I got a Card a Error on the 810. Figures. SanDisk replacement was ordered last night before I went to bed.

Did the card test good before being used in that D810 and/or does it work in other bodies?

EBH

Oct 12, 2014 at 06:52 PM
hrogersiii

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

EB-1 and ohsnaphappy:

Thanks for your replies. The card tested fine before that shoot. I contacted Lexar and while willing to refund the price of that card, the risk of damaging the pins in the body, either by a card which may have imperfections undetectable with the naked eye, or a Lexar card reader with pin imperfections, is a risk I am not willing to take.

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

Oh boy.

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:44 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

EB-1 wrote:
Did the card test good before being used in that D810 and/or does it work in other bodies?

EBH

I took a few shots with the 810 prior to the wedding and it was fine. I also took a few shots with a D4 and it was fine. It also captured over 400 jpgs (I send RAW to SD) before the card error message. All the jpgs on the Lexar looked fine. I don't know if a shot was lost during the two card errors I got. But after the second message, I just took it out and shot RAW only to my SD.

Oct 14, 2014 at 01:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

hrogersiii wrote:
EB-1 and ohsnaphappy:

Thanks for your replies. The card tested fine before that shoot. I contacted Lexar and while willing to refund the price of that card, the risk of damaging the pins in the body, either by a card which may have imperfections undetectable with the naked eye, or a Lexar card reader with pin imperfections, is a risk I am not willing to take.

this statement can and will cover just about any CF card made

Oct 14, 2014 at 03:04 PM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Brand New D 810 and CF Issue

I also had an unfortunate experience with a 32gb Lexar CF 1000X card.
It was quite a new card and stopped working on my D4.
Lexar sent a replacement but I am hesitant to try the brand again and bought a Sandisk Extreme Pro instead and have had no problems since.

Oct 14, 2014 at 06:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.