New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Blades of Grass

andrewsk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Blades of Grass

Took these today of blades of grass caught in a stream overflow. Both B&W and Color posted for preference. Any other C&C is welcome.

Oct 02, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Blades of Grass

Color - love the green, really grabs one's attention.

Please stop! You are giving me flashbacks to my Mamiya M645 & MF - no way I can do digital MF

Bob

Oct 03, 2014 at 08:30 AM
andrewsk
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Blades of Grass

Mamiya M645 was/is great. MF digital isnt as expensive as it used to be. The Pentax is not cheap but no more expensaive than a highend Canon or Nikon kit as the lenses for it are dirt cheap. I got this 80-160 for $500 and it was nearly new.

Sorry......

Oct 03, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Photo GeekMan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Blades of Grass

I agree the color works better. Perhaps it's just my monitors, but the sharpness, color and contrast for these feels a bit weak. A little more of each might help. Then again, maybe I'm just losing my sight...

Oct 03, 2014 at 03:25 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Blades of Grass

The flow of the water and grass combined with the soothing green is an excellent and consistent combination and makes its statement well. Soothing cool. The mono version has a nice warmth. Soothing warmth. Both good, but different messages.

Possibilities to consider: Maybe pull the darks down in the first and slightly sculpt the exposure/gamma to add a little drama/snap. (Oddly, drama and snap aren't necessarily opposed to soothing.) Perhaps also consider the old silver photo print option of tinting the image to retail the green feeling in a monochrome print.

Oct 03, 2014 at 04:43 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Blades of Grass

Color. With B&W I dont know what I'm looking at. FWIW

Oct 05, 2014 at 05:43 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Blades of Grass

Color but the BW also works, especially with Karen's tweaks.
I agree with Bryan. Identifying the subject, which is not entirely crucial, is easier with the color.
This is a difficult concept to execute well. And you did. Impressive. Creative. Artsy F....tsy. In a good way.
Scott

Oct 05, 2014 at 06:14 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Blades of Grass

I have to agree with comments above, with color being my preference. As my eye wanders around and through the blades of grass, my eye is also drawn to the ripples in the water. Karen's re-work really makes the color image pop.

Nicely seen and executed.

Oct 05, 2014 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.